Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:10 AM

41 posts, read 157,007 times

Advertisements

I lived in Mass for almost 5 yrs and I could not stand the rudeness and noise. I would visit NH to go camping in the summer and loved it. I am thinking of moving to NH but I want to know first where the nicer areas are and where it is QUIET, where I can rent a house, (not an apt., condo, townhouse, duplex, or anything else connected to anyone)! Are there any nice areas in NH where someone can rent a house (preferably on a piece of land with some room between neighbors)? Also, what are the wages like there? It seems to be a state that is pretty 'pet friendly' which is another thing I am looking for. I really need some honest information on living in NH.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 03:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,810 times
The best advice I could offer would be to scout areas. Depending on what you do for a living may have a huge impact on the area you need to focus on. Right now my husband is having a hard time finding work, any technical work in the lakes region. We live on a hill, with tree lines between my only two neighbors for a while and roughly 4 acres of land with a great view, here in Belmont. This is a rental we found in the paper. Try looking up the classified ads in local papers in the areas you might like for rental houses, then you can call and ask for location information, or drive up and take a look. There could be hundreds of places nice and quiet like you're looking for up here, but narrowing down a region will help these guys out a lot.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
The places that have the quiet don't have the jobs. Surprise. There are some places close enough to the jobs that a long commute can handle. Best of all worlds is a job you can do out of your own home. My in-laws are doing that from the woods near Lisbon.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,101,471 times
Northern N.H. is all about living in the sticks and privacy but again no jobs. You probably don't want a long commute to work especially during the winter months and snowstorms. I'm use of FL roads where you can get there in 25 minutes flat where in N.H. that same commute would probably be close to an hour taking weather and curves in the road into factor.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:00 PM

951 posts, read 1,656,234 times
You have a similar post going already. Should keep it down to one otherwise it gets confusing.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 PM

Thank you for the information. What kind of work do your in-laws do from home? That would be a great idea for me.
Thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 AM

123 posts, read 553,562 times
Northern, NH can be tough for jobs but it depends what you are looking for and are experienced in.
I have an associates in travel/tourism, and work @ a resort, just started actually but I worked at another resort prior for 2.5 years. This is a tourist area that I live in so the types of jobs I need are usually out there, but not ALWAYS readily available.
Though it is a tourist area, it is a rather rural area... so it is quiet and slow paced unless you are IN TOWN on route 16.
Lots of shopping, outlet shops are the prominent thing here.. skiing? (personally not for me, but lots of mountains!)
I was a shift supervisor for the front desk of the resort and made 11.50, and had health, dental, 401k, vacations, sick/personal, etc. I was laid off though. The company is suffering, partially I blame the economy, why almost whole blame goes to the Owner who stopped giving a crap.
I just started at another resort, and make the same, starting. (I just started this week!), and get bennies, but health costs double for the first 2 yrs. I was out of work for 1.5 months between, however.
It depends on the area, and the company for pay.. and industry. Obviously certain jobs start higher because that is simply what they pay. Some companies just pay a lot. My boyfriend works at the Front Desk of a themed hotel in town, and he makes like $2 more an hour, no bennies tho.. but not a supervisor either.
I have been doing lots of research on relocating, I suggest you do the same. Use Google. It has become my best friend.. this site itself is great also.
Good Luck!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:49 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,404,024 times
Hi ab1222,

Only found this place because I'm looking at the Oklahoma forum and got curious...

I'm a Methuen, MA transplant living in Whitefield, NH. (Next to Littleton.)

The beauty, peace and scenery are here, but job-wise it's NOT what you may be looking for.

I run a network service business (Information Technology) and make a good hourly wage, but compared to what you're used to, there isn't a lot of businesses up here.

Also, shopping consists of WalMart, and a few "quaint shops on the main drag in Littleton. We did however recently get a Home Depot and Lowes... Oh boy!
We have Shaw's here and they have NO competition, so the prices aren't very good.

If you don't need good employment, this is where you want to be, it's beautiful here and the traffic is awesome compared to MA. But if you're looking for something quieter than MA but not in the middle of nowhere, you might look at Derry, or Londonderry.

I Lived in Derry for about 7 years and it was nice... But I wanted to live and raise our children in a REAL country environment and was willing to make the sacrifices to do so.

If you have questions, feel free to post them and I'll answer them. I've lived in both Southern and Northern NH... And MA.

M.

P.S.
For the most part, the folk here are a LOT more friendly and down to Earth... Except for all the transplants from MA, NY, RI CT etc..

Last edited by TheComputerGuy; 11-16-2007 at 04:57 PM..

Old 11-17-2007, 03:47 PM

Hi Computer Guy,
Thank you for your post. I do general accounting/office management for a living. I am looking for a place that is definately quiet, a house to rent that allows pets, (preferably on a piece of land with at least some space between neighbors), where there is not a lot of flooding, not too long of a comute to work (only because of the winters), where I can afford to live. Any suggestions on what I am looking for?
Thank you again.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,404,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1222 View Post
Hi Computer Guy,
Thank you for your post. I do general accounting/office management for a living.
Should be enough jobs in that field... I work for CPA firms and with a bunch of office managers... Even up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1222 View Post
I am looking for a place that is definately quiet, a house to rent that allows pets, (preferably on a piece of land with at least some space between neighbors), where there is not a lot of flooding, not too long of a comute to work (only because of the winters), where I can afford to live. Any suggestions on what I am looking for?
Thank you again.
I'd need to know your price range before I could tell you anything intelligent.

As far as a rental property would go, anyplace quiet will be tough unless you plan on paying though the nose for it... Pets will make it even harder to find.

Might be helpful to know what area you're coming from in order to be able to give you some good comparisons. Everything is pretty reletive depending on where one comes from.

Then again, what's your idea of quiet?
I never found MA or Southern NH to be very quiet and we owned houses in decent neighborhoods in both.

Also, what do you consider a long commute?
When I lived in Derry, I had to commute to MA for a decent job in my field.
There's no flooding where I live now... On a hill on a mountain.

If you can provide a few more details, I might be able to give you some advice...
At least based on my own experiences. (Remember... Free advice is worth what you pay for it. )

M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire