Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 04:36 PM

339 posts, read 665,362 times

Advertisements

Will likely need a home inspector, pest inspector, septic inspector, and well inspector. How can I go about finding the best? Yelp? Should I go with whomever my realtor recommends?

Also what are the costs (typically) in southern NH for those inspections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 06:12 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Never what your realtor recommends.

Terry is really good for southern NH.
Home inspection, Thermal imaging, Property Condition Assessments, PCA MA NH ME

I dont remember the cost.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Never what your realtor recommends.

Terry is really good for southern NH.
Home inspection, Thermal imaging, Property Condition Assessments, PCA MA NH ME

I dont remember the cost.
Maybe an ignorant question but why never who the realtor recommends? Will check out your link. Thanks

Old 01-27-2016, 09:32 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Maybe an ignorant question but why never who the realtor recommends? Will check out your link. Thanks
Your realtor wants the sale, so their interest is in seeing your house pass all these tests. The thought is they will steer you to an inspector that will see such happen. I don't think this is always true BTW, but you should hire your own people for peace of mind.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:31 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
If a realtor knows a home inspector that was very knowledgeable and thorough, and the deal fell through because of things he found that someone less knowledgeable wouldn't find, you can bet that realtor isn't going to recommend that home inspector again.

Therefore, find your own inspector.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:32 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
I'm not going to give any recommendations since (being a realtor), my answers would be suspect. However I will recommend that you choose a septic company that does a THOROUGH inspection, not just a quick 3-hole dig to see if the leach bed stones are discolored The septic inspector that I've recommend to my clients does that 'standard insoection' plus a push-camera inspection of the INSIDE of the line,from tank to distribution box. Then the d-box is exposed (sometimes the cover is cracked and needs replacing) then push cam inspect from d-box to each of the pipes, to visually check for staining, higher than expected levels of water, and crushed pipes.The cost of this inspection is higher than a 'typical inspection' but I think its money well spent considering that repairs can be hundreds of dollars, replacement of a system can be well over 10k.

Sometimes we negotiate repair or replacement of a system; sometimes it is appropriate to go through the process of walking away, having any deposits returned, and continuing the search...

It is ALWAYS the buyers choice of who to use for an inspector. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:37 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
If a realtor knows a home inspector that was very knowledgeable and thorough, and the deal fell through because of things he found that someone less knowledgeable wouldn't find, you can bet that realtor isn't going to recommend that home inspector again.

Therefore, find your own inspector.
There are Home Inspectors that I've taken OFF my list of recommendations because I felt they short-changed my buyers, minimized problems, or missed things that I pointed out to buyers during one of the previous visits to the house. This is why notes on each property during showings are crucial...

Old 01-28-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I'm not going to give any recommendations since (being a realtor), my answers would be suspect. However I will recommend that you choose a septic company that does a THOROUGH inspection, not just a quick 3-hole dig to see if the leach bed stones are discolored The septic inspector that I've recommend to my clients does that 'standard insoection' plus a push-camera inspection of the INSIDE of the line,from tank to distribution box. Then the d-box is exposed (sometimes the cover is cracked and needs replacing) then push cam inspect from d-box to each of the pipes, to visually check for staining, higher than expected levels of water, and crushed pipes.The cost of this inspection is higher than a 'typical inspection' but I think its money well spent considering that repairs can be hundreds of dollars, replacement of a system can be well over 10k.

Sometimes we negotiate repair or replacement of a system; sometimes it is appropriate to go through the process of walking away, having any deposits returned, and continuing the search...

It is ALWAYS the buyers choice of who to use for an inspector. Don't let anyone tell you different.
can I please send you a message to get the name of the septic company you recommend for inspections?

Old 01-28-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
There are Home Inspectors that I've taken OFF my list of recommendations because I felt they short-changed my buyers, minimized problems, or missed things that I pointed out to buyers during one of the previous visits to the house. This is why notes on each property during showings are crucial...
This is another one. Can I message you to get some names? In a search I came up with Gaudet inspections but my wife called him this morning and he was rude and unprofessional on the phone. Didn't get a good vibe at all, seemed annoyed we called him. Not the type of attitude we want to deal with but if he is the best inspector we can put personality differences aside

Old 01-28-2016, 11:48 AM

Does anyone know of that nachi certification (I may be butchering the acronym but it is some organization within New England that "certifies" the home inspector) is worth the extra money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire