Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:28 AM

13 posts, read 26,004 times

Advertisements

After 2 years in Las Vegas, I am almost 100% anti-HOA, but some of the properties in Eastman/Grantham look gorgeous at great prices. Anyone care to share their experiences?

We're commuting to Lebanon/Hanover, renting in Etna right now.

Similarly curious about the Quechee neighborhood on the VT side.

Most likely we'll find something to buy that's not part of an association, but wondering whether there are hidden positives to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:39 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
A friend was looking into Eastman. She found many/most of the houses are vacation homes or rentals (empty much of the time). Can't remember what percent. The woman at the Eastman real estate office can tell you. Or look it up on City Data main web site.

You would also be increasing your commute quite a bit to live there.

Also they plow the roads as part of your monthly fee but not the driveways.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:48 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,734,236 times
HOA's really can be problematic. Aside from fees always going up, special assessments can kill you. Eastman is more of a vacation place & like ansible90 pointed out; the place is more than half empty. Not a great environment to live in IMO.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:26 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
You really need to compare taxes in each town your looking at for similar properties. NH property taxes can vary widely by town and no income tax, but Vermont has income tax issues and high property taxes to compare as well.

You need to do your homework through research. Picking the wrong town could cost you quite a lot of money.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Unless you are prepared for high property taxes (many properties are assessed at values too high based on reality) and high association fees of ($240-260) a month- I would look elsewhere. If you like Grantham I would look at Sunapee, Newbury, or New London instead.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:59 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,728 times
I think if you are renting then you are fine with either. But if you are buying, be REALLY careful... those association fees and requirements (how much you HAVE to spend at the restaurant each year for instance) can make resale of a home very problematic. Every single person I know who owned in Quechee had a miserable time selling their home.

I think that's why you see so many rentals in these places... it's easier to keep and rent then resell.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:44 AM

One more thing about Eastman: no cell phone service.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I think if you are renting then you are fine with either. But if you are buying, be REALLY careful... those association fees and requirements (how much you HAVE to spend at the restaurant each year for instance) can make resale of a home very problematic. Every single person I know who owned in Quechee had a miserable time selling their home.

I think that's why you see so many rentals in these places... it's easier to keep and rent then resell.
What do you mean about having to spend at the restaurant? What restaurant?

One disadvantage I see with Quechee is your monthly fee is supporting a ski area and golf course that you may or may not use. An HOA without these expensive amenities might be cheaper.

Here is the Quechee web site, in case you haven't found it yet: Quechee Membership - The Quechee Club

Old 01-26-2016, 07:00 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What do you mean about having to spend at the restaurant? What restaurant?

One disadvantage I see with Quechee is your monthly fee is supporting a ski area and golf course that you may or may not use. An HOA without these expensive amenities might be cheaper.

Here is the Quechee web site, in case you haven't found it yet: Quechee Membership - The Quechee Club
You are paying dues that support the Golf Course and the facilities including the Restaurant at TQC. There is some sort of quid pro quo between your dues and eating there. At least that's how I've had it explained to me by multiple people who have owned there.

But now that I'm looking for the details I can't find them. I don't mean to misguide anyone so I'll just say to read all the paperwork VERY carefully before buying into either HOA.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:18 AM

77 posts, read 124,787 times
Stay away from HOAs. The last thing you need is another group of people from the "Department of Making you Sad" intruding upon your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire