Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,610 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone- so we are moving to the New London area, and not seeing a whole lot of property for sale. Is there a special town flyer for realestate. What about renting apartments? Are there any and are they affordable? How is the childcare? Is there a lot of choices and what's the typical cost for a toddler full time? We are anxious for the move, but very nervous as well, as we can't seem to find where we are going to live and it doesn't look like there are very many listings on realtor, remaxx, etc. Please any info you have would be greatly appreciated for New London and the surrounding towns as well, and are the taxes reasonable? Thanks, I look forward to hearing your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 AM

951 posts, read 1,653,768 times
First, check out the search tab above. Go to the advanced search and type in "New London" for your criteria, click on the correct state below (there is a New London, CT!) and let 'er rip. You'll get all kinds of stuff. There have been recent threads on this town.

Here's more:

New London Profile (http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/htmlprofiles/newlondon.html - broken link)

Town of New London

Check your DM...I sent you more.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:35 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
New London is a great town. It could be tough to find rentals though since it is a college town. There aren't many apartment buildings but you may be able to rent a small cottage in nearby Newbury.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:52 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,028 times
Hi,

We are moving there, too, from Annapolis. We just put an offer on a house in the next town over. My husband is currently renting a furnished condo in New London - I don't know what you consider reasonable but his rent incl. all utilities and cable is $1200/month.

We found plenty of houses on the market, though I'm sure that varies by price range. We found newenglandmoves.com to be the best home search site for us, though our realtor is not from that company. We have a *fabulous* realtor in New London - cannot say enough good things about her. Marybeth Angeli of Angeli and Associates, at NHRealEstate.org

I was very impressed with the child care places I saw. Windy Hill is at Colby-Sawyer college and where I wound up registering my 4 year old. I also heard good things about the center in the hospital (though was told the program is more structured where as Windy Hill is more project-based, learning through creative play), and Stepping Stones which I think does half-day nursery school. There is a Montessori program in Newbury and a place in Grantham called Turtle Hill (or something like that). Those were farther than I wanted to drive.

Taxes vary by town and tend to be lower in New London because of all the business and summer people. Property with water frontage is of course more expensive. New London is more expensive than surrounding towns because of the "amenities" - which I learned means a gas station and grocery store plus the cute shops on main street.

All 3 elementary schools in the Kearsarge Valley district are considered excellent, with the New London elementary school called "the best of the best" - whatever...they all seemed perfectly good to me.

We eventually concentrated our search in New London, N. Sutton, and Wilmot -- though we initially looked all over the area from Grantham to Newbury to Warner, and points in between.

Am happy to try and answer any other questions you have!

- Jackie

Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 10,450 times
I grew up in Sunapee which is the next town over from New London. A few years ago New London's claim to fame was "oldest community in NH." It does have quite a few older folks who leave for the winter, but it also has Colby Sawyer College, and a strong artistic bent.
Andover, Sunapee, Springfield are all nice communities too. Lake Sunapee is fabulous.
Moderator cut: No realtor advertising!

Last edited by vter; 05-12-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-10-2008, 11:13 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Jackie, I've heard good things about Marybeth, and also Danielle who works in the same office. I haven't yet had a transaction with either of them, but good agents are like gold to work with, both to buyers and sellers, and from a fellow agent's POV as well. Bad agents, OTOH, can be a nightmare for all concerned...

Thanks for recommending someone who has respect from the Realtor community

piercean, I forgot to give you the link for DIRECT MLS searches (unfiltered by any real estate agency) Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS is the website for our New Hampshire MLS, and every property for sale via MLS will be found there. Some 3rd party sites (realtor.com, remax, etc) can take 24+ hours to show you new property for sale. NNEREN is direct, even price changes come through instantaneously. Wish I could offer you help but you're way out of my knowledge area What I would suggest you do is to put a Buyer's Agent to work for you, they will show you all properties that you are qualified to purchase, not just properties listed by their own office. Most if not all of their fee should be covered by the Seller's Agent's commission at closing.

Last edited by Valerie C; 05-10-2008 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: forgot to add the NNEREN site...

Old 05-10-2008, 11:55 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
The Sunapee Lakes region is super nice. If you are looking in the New London area also look at towns like Newbury and Sutton. Those areas tend to be more spendy with SFH dominating. I don't know about apartments in that particular area, though.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:02 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Jackie, I've heard good things about Marybeth, and also Danielle who works in the same office. I haven't yet had a transaction with either of them, but good agents are like gold to work with, both to buyers and sellers, and from a fellow agent's POV as well. Bad agents, OTOH, can be a nightmare for all concerned...

Thanks for recommending someone who has respect from the Realtor community
Wow - I know NH isn't that big but I am impressed you know her! Danielle is her daughter, by the way. :-) Their focus on customer service is top notch and they are very knowledgeable as realtors and about the area.

OP - my $0.02 is to definitely get a realtor to represent you as a buyer agent but make sure that person also functions as a seller agent (on the theory that you can't effectively buy what you don't know how to sell...)

- Jackie

Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 AM

4 posts, read 11,723 times
Default Information at Your Fingertips, Hope this helps...

The very best place for town information is the state’s community profile link because every town has a consistent three page format. NH Community Profiles (http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm - broken link) From that profile you can get the town’s website (often almost impossible to find otherwise) and the school district information (often with a link). There are a lot of attractions right there and the mountains (skiing, hiking, etc.) are 15-45 minutes away depending on destination. It will be a bit longer trip to the taller White Mountains and major ski areas, however there is a lot of outdoor recreation right in that area.
Do take a close look at the town of Sunapee which just created its own school district and left the larger regional union. There’s something else to keep in mind the area covers a wide range of property tax rates. The lowest rate in the state is $6.99 (per thousand of property value at 100% value); the highest over $24 per thousand. Why does this matter? In a word, affordability. Take a look at this example, a $250,000 home in a town with a $20 tax rate will cost you $5,000 per year. The same home in a town with a rate of $13 will cost you $3,250 per year. That is $1,750 per year less or about $145 per month. Since a mortgage costs you about $6.50 per month per $1,000 borrowed, that means you could afford about $22,000 more house in the lower tax town than in the higher one and have the same monthly payment.
In the Lakes Region the prices of homes and land in the very lowest tax towns (see above) are somewhat higher because of this and in the very high towns, the prices are lower. So be sure to keep that in mind in your search. You should also know that some towns have a precinct tax on top of the town rate. This may take more local knowledge if a precinct tax only applies to parts of the town. For a list of tax rates by town and precinct go to 2007 (http://www.revenue.nh.gov/munc_prop/2007.htm - broken link)
Another thing to keep in mind is that most of the homes in many of these towns will be on private sewer systems (septic systems). New Hampshire has had regulations about systems since about 1970 and the size of a septic system is rated on the number of bedrooms according to the regulations. Therefore, if you want a three or four bedroom home you might keep in mind that there are some perfectly good homes that will be listed as two or three bedrooms, but may still meet your needs. Once you have a candidate property in mind, further research can tell you about the system in place. You can go to Subsurface Applicant Query
to query the site and some towns have excellent records.

Best of luck in your search. Chuck

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-27-2008 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: advertising, soliciting not allowed in forums

Old 06-17-2016, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,293 times
My father is looking to move to New London, NH, he's looking for a small place for him and his playful, extra friendly pit puppy. He's looking for a rent a room or small apartment, around $500 - $600/mo. He has a small part time business and works full time. Email Michael at uvlock@gmail.com with any ideas that you may have A.S.A.P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire