Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:51 AM

18 posts, read 18,935 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone , I am hoping you can help us. We are both 65 years old -but quite active - we play tennis and enjoy walking. I currently live near eastern PA and look to move closer to our only son and young family - who live near Boston. We would like to be about an hour away. We were looking in the Worcester suburban area. But I understand that NH is easier on the wallet for seniors and when we move (in two months) we may not be working.* We are looking for a nice town (I know that's very subjective) and a small detached dwelling -- less than twenty years old. We have been living in a single-family house for 40 years so we would like to continue with a single-family dwelling. We are looking to spend approximately $350 to $420 --- again, we are 65 years old but quite active looking for tennis courts and walking areas. we're just not sure -- Derry and Londonderry are some towns that have come up from some folks that I have spoken to.** We did not want to move too much into the boonies since we are both very social. Maybe we r looking too much for the price? We are looking for recommendations on some nice friendly towns with things to do. We may rent first --- but where? I hope you wonderful folks can help us.
Any recommendations would certainly be appreciated
thanks in advance
jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 10:34 AM

27 posts, read 23,927 times
Sorry, but $350 to $420 is not going to get you anything in Derry, Londonderry, or any other southern NH town. You won't even find anything decent for double that amount.

What part of eastern PA do you currently live in? I think you will experience a shock in cost-of-living if you move to MA or southern NH.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:34 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Good Afternoon! Derry or Londonderry are not considered 'in the boonies' and there are some condo communities that have amenities like tennis, walking paths, etc. Southern NH also has a nice network of rail trails (former rail beds that have been transformed into paved-or-graveled paths. The benefit is that you have a wide and flat surface, perfect for all levels of fitness.

Like JustTryIt, I would be concerned with your stated budget and have to ask: are you thinking of buying something in the $350-$420K range, or is that a monthly target for a rental unit? If for a rental, I can say that this price range would be what you could expect for an income-restricted senior citizen moving into subsidized senior housing (of which there is very little in southern NH, and years-long waiting lists...)

Old 09-28-2016, 04:52 PM

thanks folks for your input --- we are actually from western New Jersey -- but we are very close to the PA border. We were looking to buy - but we obviously may have to rent for a while -- based on what you are both saying. Sorry if I was not specific. There were some locations (single family) in Pelham (55 and over) that were quite nice and small. We were looking for approximately 1500 square feet -- give or take. Actually we were originally looking in some areas in the Worcester suburbs --- but we were told to try NH since it is more senor friendly with taxes. We will have to move further out -- great input folks -- please any ideas let me know. We were looking for detached -- but that may not happen with our budget.
thanks again

Old 09-28-2016, 06:20 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
I just looked at the New Hampshire map in Rockingham County there were a few single detached homes. They were new in a 55 and older place. The price I saw was 359.000. I recall my dad going there from Boston many years ago for the races. It also said Kingston NH 23 Bent Grass Circle number 10

Old 09-28-2016, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the input Maggie ... I did see some detached homes in the 55+ developments that looked encouraging. A place in windham for 450ish ... On Zillow... Maybe a fluke. I will have to rent and see. Thanks again. Any input is appreciated.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:59 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
There are many MANY 55+ developments in southern NH, and you are definitely in the ballpark on price for a purchase. Do keep in mind that due to the high demand for detached active senior housing, prices don't seem to fluctuate as much as single-family homes (which typically drop from October thru February).

It's really important to read and understand the by-laws that govern each association. Some developments are considered (detached) condos, where your monthly fee is applied toward the overall budget, and covers all exterior maintenance of the homes, landscaping (including plowing of driveways & shoveling of sidewalks). Owners each own an equal share of the common land and neighborhood recreational amenities. Limited common land would likely be the area immediately surrounding each unit.

Other developments are still considered condos, with an associated monthly fee, with none of the maintenance benefits mentioned above. Each unit owner is responsible for the maintenance and care of the exterior of the property, including landscaping, etc. As you might imagine, the monthly fee would tend to be quite a bit lower than the fee that includes everything mentioned in the paragraph above. Some folks do prefer to take care of their own home & property, and it's nice that in such a neighborhood, the owner has a little more control over his or her home.

It's also important to review the budget in either of these scenarios, especially being aware of plans for any major maintenance issues. If roofs are scheduled to be replaced, or parking areas looking a bit worn, the special assessment can be several thousand dollars (carried over a period of months...)

Everybody has a different level of comfort with these neighborhoods, but just thought it was important that you are aware of the models that are commonly found in southern NH. Hope this is helpful for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytom7 View Post
thanks folks for your input --- we are actually from western New Jersey -- but we are very close to the PA border. We were looking to buy - but we obviously may have to rent for a while -- based on what you are both saying. Sorry if I was not specific. There were some locations (single family) in Pelham (55 and over) that were quite nice and small. We were looking for approximately 1500 square feet -- give or take. Actually we were originally looking in some areas in the Worcester suburbs --- but we were told to try NH since it is more senor friendly with taxes. We will have to move further out -- great input folks -- please any ideas let me know. We were looking for detached -- but that may not happen with our budget.
thanks again

Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTryIt View Post
Sorry, but $350 to $420 is not going to get you anything in Derry, Londonderry, or any other southern NH town. You won't even find anything decent for double that amount.

What part of eastern PA do you currently live in? I think you will experience a shock in cost-of-living if you move to MA or southern NH.
What are you talking about? They have a fine budget.

OP, I would check out Bedford and Amherst as well.

ETA: I assume the OP was talking about 350-420K purchase price. Apologize if I misunderstood.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:31 AM

Wow Valerie and Deb ... Thanks so much for that information. You don't realize how important that is to us. I really do appreciate the details -- it really helps us and yes that is our purchase price. I agree , we really need to understand the terms of some of these communities and hoa fees... Great point. We just hate the idea of renting, because then we have to move twice -- but it is so hard to determine where you want to live -- based on weekend visits.
Thanks again ...it is very much appreciated.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:38 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
In comparing taxes in NH to MA, you need to consider all taxes, income, sales and property. Yes, NH has no income, or sales, but it does have very high property tax. NH also taxes certain kinds of investment income.

You'd be best to run the numbers for your specific situation. For me, it was rather a wash. We ended up in NH mostly because we liked the environs better. But we're in the Monadnocks, about 90 minutes from Boston, and a bit more sparsely settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire