Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 04:39 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times

Advertisements

Spouse is a speech pathologist. NH is by far the most difficult state for newcomers to get licensed.
The state wants original copies of a public records check of arrests mailed directly to them, as well as a letter from licensing authorities of every state where someone was ever licensed.

Most states aren't set up to do this, so the process is a slow one.

Is this the NH way of minimizing competition from out of staters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 05:00 PM

125 posts, read 149,124 times
I can't speak for speech pathologist but NH has the most lenient Real Estate licenence requirements in the country. It is a one week course. Most states it can easily take 6 months to a year to get it.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:43 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
You think that's bad, look up the requirements for a forester to be licensed in NH or VT for the first time. Basically just keeps recent grads from even bothering and they go elsewhere.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Spouse is a speech pathologist. NH is by far the most difficult state for newcomers to get licensed.
The state wants original copies of a public records check of arrests mailed directly to them, as well as a letter from licensing authorities of every state where someone was ever licensed.

Just the process to get our drivers license was unreal. They wanted original everything and our marriage license. We had to drive almost 2 hours two times to return with the right paperwork only after we had to send away for all of it. Never needed half the stuff they wanted in NH in Florida.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:47 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Lightbulb If you feel strongly about this, you can can usually find one of our 400 representatives to sponsor an LSR

Perhaps some of these oddities like paper background checks are just due to the state's glacial movement towards electronic records, but mostly because the Office of Professional Licensure and Certification has, like many other agencies, become government for the sake of government.

Backing out silly rules on professional licensing is one area where the Free State Project absolutely has the right idea.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:33 PM

540 posts, read 589,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post

Tell me about it.. I had to go through a lot for my professional license.
Application filled out and notarized, official transcripts sent directly from the college I attended, CA license verification letter sent directly from dept of consumer affairs in CA, verification letter of credential sent directly from my professions accrediting body, I had to request a criminal background check from the CA attorney general, 3 letters of reference on NH licensing board official document, $260 licensing fee to state of NH, and I'm sure there's one thing or another I forgot. They wanted a ton of stuff
Thank goodness it's done and I finally got my NH license.
Sometimes I think they just want to see who's willing to jump through all the hoops. And they want your money of course..

Old 12-08-2016, 07:17 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
In our case, licensing is harder because the licensing board keeps loosing the records it's sent. And, as I suspect you found, some states are not so good on the criminal background checks, since so few states have such a requirement.

Going digital? Just discovered this week that some of Dartmouth Hitchcock's affilates (talking about you, Keene) don't even accept electronic payment. Had to read credit card numbers over the phone. How retro. Haven't done that anywhere else in at least a decade.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:21 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
I can't speak for speech pathologist but NH has the most lenient Real Estate licenence requirements in the country. It is a one week course. Most states it can easily take 6 months to a year to get it.
That explains the ignorant, dishonest realtors I've met here.

There are dozens of professional boards, each with its own requirements and level of scrutiny. Maybe the realtors board is too lax, and the forestry board is too stringent. Certainly the Medical Technician board that allowed David Kwiatkowski to obtain a position at Exeter Hospital and infect a bunch of patients with hepatitis C could have been more thorough.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:13 AM

477 posts, read 899,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You think that's bad, look up the requirements for a forester to be licensed in NH or VT for the first time. Basically just keeps recent grads from even bothering and they go elsewhere.
Well, my wife is a speech pathologist and I'm a licensed forester so I think I can weigh in here. My wife has never said anything about her licensing process being onerous.

Regarding forester licensing, I don't know what could be easier. Get your degree, do your work experience and apply for your initial license. Get it back within a couple of weeks. Time to renew? Fill out the form, send it in and get it back in a few days. I've been licensed since 1999.

As to the comment about stopping competition, I disagree with that as well. I think there are aspects of the Maine licensing law that does co tribute to that but I don't think it's true for NH. In fact, our company has had trouble trying to find young foresters or technicians willing to actually work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire