Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:40 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,637 times

Advertisements

How is airbnb viewed by towns in relation to zoning restrictions or violations? Anyone run into issues hosting guests or do towns pretty much leave you alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 05:45 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post NH has 234 municipalities, each with their own rules.

Portsmouth has gone after short-term rentals in residential areas.

Each of the 234 towns/cities makes their own rules. I'd expect towns in tourist areas to be the ones most likely to put restrictions around AirBnB, or at least try to ensure operators register and collect/remit the 9% "Room" tax.

I think a lot of smaller towns would be happy to leave you alone, as long as they get their tax revenue and the rental operation isn't disruptive.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 08-31-2016 at 05:53 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 09:37 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
The state is looking at regulating airBnB and similar services from several perspectives. I've seen a number of newspaper articles about this recently, although this is the only online article I could find with a quick google. It touches on a lot of the issues.
NH Senate breathes new life into Airbnb tax measure - New Hampshire Business Review - April 29 2016

Old 09-01-2016, 06:42 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,637 times
tks for the link to the article. i can see it getting more regulated as time goes on.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:32 AM

114 posts, read 123,749 times
Towns and cities are starting to regulate airbnb. The main thing they are trying to prevent is buying an apartment and using it as an income stream for short term rentals. The towns that have put in restrictions mainly want the home to be a primary residence as well.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The existing hotel, motel and similar resort businesses are trying to heavily restrict this form of unregulated enterprise. AirBnB has become a real competitor in the short stay business. They fear the competition.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:53 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The existing hotel, motel and similar resort businesses are trying to heavily restrict this form of unregulated enterprise. AirBnB has become a real competitor in the short stay business. They fear the competition.
It is broader than that, though. As someone noted it's the tourist areas that are likely to act first if the state does not.

The reasons being many, uncollected R&M taxes, locals being squeezed out of year-round housing by speculators/investors buying up a significant number of units; etc.

While I agree the business competition angle exists and is important, there are other civic issues that come up as well. I don't work in the short stay business, and while there are features of AirBnB I quite like, there are things that concern me as well.

Even if states and munis do create rules, do they have the will or staff to enforce them?

Out here in Portland, the answer seems to be no: Portland’s Short-Term Rental Rules Are Such a Joke That an Airbnb Employee Ignores Them - Willamette Week

It's going to be an interesting few years in many places until some equilibrium is reached.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:08 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Outside tourist-focused towns, I suspect many town governments would be quietly delighted to have dwelling units in their community primarily used to host AirBnB/VRBO/HomeAway/etc, especially once R&M taxes are being collected.

A home dedicated to short-term rentals pays full property tax but has no children enrolled in the local schools, and is thus revenue-positive for the town.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:59 PM

810 posts, read 851,670 times
Interesting article from WW.

I don't see a problem as long as they dwelling is inspected and they collect the proper taxes. Just like the Uber drivers people were against them but they seem to be accepted at least here in PDX. My husband has used Uber many times and never had a problem or issue with them.

My cousin
does this in Montana and as far I know she has not had any problems but I am not aware of the rules and regs there.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:50 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
I'm in Asheville NC and the city has accelerated enforcement of zoning regulations prohibiting Airbnb short term rentals. It's clear to me that the hotel lobby is in the pockets of the city council.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire