Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:24 PM

22 posts, read 92,758 times

Advertisements

Hello again to the helpful, informative folks on this board. Can you please provide me with any "cons" to living in Windham? (I'm aware that many homes are expensive, but, especially now, there are some reasonably-priced houses available, and the taxes don't seem to be any worse than those of many towns in the area.) Are there any "bad" neighborhoods in the town? We have a toddler and an infant and are looking for a safe place that has good schools, kids' programs, library, and recreation opportunities. (From what I can gather, it seems that Windham has all of these.) We looked at neighboring towns (including Derry, Salem, & Londonderry, but ruled each of those out for one reason or another.) Commuting to Boston isn't an issue for us at this time. Thanks in advance to all who respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,934 times
does Windham have a high school yet? they used to bus students in to Pinkerton Academy in Derry. the taxes might be comparable now....but what about when they build a high school?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:41 PM

the last I knew students were also bussed to Salem High (Pinkerton is already overcrowded and is eliminating some neighbor towns) - and the new high school was scheduled for completion in 2009.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the reply! I think you're right -- the h.s. is supposed to open in 2009 (which is OK for us, because h.s. won't become an issue for our kids for another 10 years or so). I don't know whether/to what extent taxes will be affected.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
Windham is a pretty nice town, but it has grown considerably as it has become a destination of choice for many Boston metro area commuters. I lived there from '76 to '83 and my folks remained until 2000. I guess if you can afford it why not. For myself unless I had good employment in the area I would prefer to live elsewhere as the traffic and growth has in my opinion eroded some of the original qualities which brough us there in the first place. As far as HS goes I went to Pinkerton and from what I understand it has been ten or more years since the town sent students to Salem.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:32 PM

"it has been ten or more years since the town sent students to Salem."

where do they go to high school then? or do you mean it's been ten years since the town STARTED sending students to Salem?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:51 PM

found my own answer on the internet -

Windham voters approved spending 43.8 million dollars for their first-ever high school.

Right now, the town’s 600 students go to Salem High School.

The agreement to send Windham teens to Salem expires in 2008, and both towns have voted not to renew the contract.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:23 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Where are you relocating from PlanBee (another great online name!) The only areas of Windham where you might find anything resembling a "bad" neighborhood would be down near the water of Cobbett's Pond (there is quite an eclectic mix of seasonal homes and million-dollar plus homes). Otherwise, there may be an isolated home here or there that the owner's haven't kept up with, or even a mobile home on it's own land (Windham has no mobile home parks).

They've broken ground on the new HS, but haven't been by there in awhile. IMO, one of the hardest things about building a brand new HS (besides the obvious tax burden!) is that everything starts from the ground up. The sports teams, the marching band, extra curricular clubs & activities, the first couple of years are pretty much bare bones. Bedford has chosen to move their classes into the new school one year at a time (incoming freshmen to the new school, upperclassmen stay w/ Manchester West to graduate). Windham (from what I hear) will be different because 9th through 12th grades will move to the new building. If anyone knows different, please let me know

Something nice about Windham is they have a great rec. department, something that Londonderry really lacks in I'd be curious to know what it was that eliminated Derry, Londonderry & Salem, and if you'd rather not post it, I'd love a DM! To me, the reasons why somebody decides against a home, neighborhood or town are JUST as important is why they decide FOR it. So TIA if you chose to let us (or me) know. Lots of people chose against Derry because of all the mobile home parks, the high number of multi-family/rental property in town, plus the very high property taxes.

It's REALLY important in Windham, Pelham, etc (well, any town in NH actually) to do a detailed water analysis before buying... there are lots of nasties in water that the basic test doesn't show, arsenic being one of them. Lots of formerly contaminated lands due to Massachusetts companies coming up in the 60's nd 70's dumping their chemical waste, and very near to some very high $$ homes too. Scary and sad, but at least now people can test for these things...

Last edited by Valerie C; 03-13-2008 at 09:40 AM..

Old 03-13-2008, 06:02 PM

Hi, Valerie! Thank you so much for the great info. We will definitely heed your advice about water testing, and will keep away from the pond should we ultimately settle in Windham. Briefly, we decided against Derry for the reasons you mentioned; most of Salem is too congested for us; and Londonderry, as you mentioned, doesn't offer a strong rec program. We are a young(ish) family (we have an infant and a toddler), originally from the east coast, who came running Back East after a few years Out West (We came back for many reasons, but we found that education out west, be it public or private, pales in comparison with what is available in the northeast.) We're currently renting in Hampstead (another town we like), and are hoping to settle in southern Rockingham within the next year or two; we just want to make sure we find the town that best suits our wants/needs. You and the other great folks on this board have been extremely helpful to us in our quest. Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2008, 02:58 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,294 times
Talking Hello Valerie!!! THANK YOU!!!

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST VALERIE!!!

THIS IS TRULY SAD!!!!!!!

Valerie, do you know where I could get more information on this???

Do you know which towns besides what you mentioned, were the MOST

affected by this???

THANK YOU SO MUCH VALERIE, FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!

Take good care,

Have a GREAT DAY!!!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
It's REALLY important in Windham, Pelham, etc (well, any town in NH actually) to do a detailed water analysis before buying... there are lots of nasties in water that the basic test doesn't show, arsenic being one of them. Lots of formerly contaminated lands due to Massachusetts companies coming up in the 60's nd 70's dumping their chemical waste, and very near to some very high $$ homes too. Scary and sad, but at least now people can test for these things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire