Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 AM

108 posts, read 341,456 times

Advertisements

I was curious why do people in NH (and all NH people I know are here) have sort of a negative attitude toward apartment complexes and mobile homes?

Those areas are not slums (are they? or maybe only some are?). And when average home price is 250+K, not every family can afford a mortgage. I just saw, in Derry 90K can buy you a nice home.

Anyway, why?

(Today is March 14, and it is going to be 90 in the afternoon. I am ready to buy or rent whatever - just to get away! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Mobil Home Parks have always bee considered inferior housing for poor people. Many are just that. I have also noticed that some “campgrounds" with electrical, water and sewage hookups are becoming defacto "mobile home parks" with families living in small travel trailers. There is very little room for the poor in this state and no room for the poor in the suburban towns. This is simple economic discrimination.

As far as the towns are concerned the parks do not return enough tax revenue to pay for schooling the children living there. As far as the towns are concerned the ideal residents are a gay couple living in a $500 k home without any likely hood of having kids. Next best are retired folks in $300 k homes.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:00 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Let me be the first to say that the problem doesn't lie with the structure of the Manufactured Housing, but first, in the stereotype of Mobile Home Parks in general (the "trailer trash" mentality). This is due in part to lax park management style. Many of these parks are owned by absentee owners, who care little for the maintenance of the park, the homes or the people who live there. Some of the ramshackle, falling to pieces MH's out there are at best, an eyesore, at worst, a dangerous structure. These same type of park will have multiple junk cars on a lot, old appliances, etc. Certainly not a pleasant environment to come home to...

Getting into the right type of park is a good solution for some folks to get into their first experience of home ownership, or for the downsizing, retiring people. If someone is considering a MH purchase, I would always recommend a co-op park, where each of the owners also owns an equal share of the land. If a co-op can't be found in the area (there are not many of them, but the number is growing!) then a park who has management that carefully screens potential new buyers is the next best thing. There is one park in Portsmouth who is quite militant in her rule, but it's her park, and I must say that it's one of the best out there. She lives out of state, but her park manager patrols monthly, and writes up any violations to the strict set of rules.

There are also some very nice MHP's that are limited to 55+, Granite Something or other, in Hampstead. So not all are negative, but the stereotype is there, and many park owners do little to change that view...

Old 03-14-2008, 10:03 AM

625 posts, read 2,436,206 times
Unfortunately, it also drags down resale value if you have a regular home nearby. Meh, you knew that one coming in though...or should have.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:43 AM

Mobile or not, bad neighborhoods are trashy and unsafe. But I was wondering about good ones - not even parks, but, say, you buy a land and bring a home.

I guess same mentality is everywhere. I just never heard people expressing concerns about increasing number of mobile parks and mobile homes. To me, decent and well maintained property/community is still better than questionable "real home" neighborhood.

What about apartments? Are they viewed in sort of the same way?

Old 03-14-2008, 11:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I had some land once upon a time and the zoning NAZI's would not let me move my house trailer on the property so I could build my own house. That was one of the reasons I moved.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
The only issue I have with the apt complexes up here is not a single one allows pets. In my area we called every single apt complex and not one would allow dogs of any kind so that leaves renting trailers or from a private owner and I prefer to not do that just because of the hassle that private owners can be

Old 03-14-2008, 01:25 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
there is the unofficial "snoot" factor in NH - nobody wants a trailer park near them because it may affect the value of their homes - there are towns where you can place a mobile home if you have some acreage - not all of NH disagrees with mobile homes

I think trailer parks are fine, but it stuns me sometime to find a beat up trailer sitting on a lot with a view 2DIE4.

It appears they don't last as long as a structured building... They fall apart very quickly without regular maintenance.

I have nothing against apartments and condos either. College kids and retirees need a place to live just like everyone else. It costs an arm and a leg to get into an apt. with the security, first month and last months rent up front.

I once worked with a guy that bragged about the fact that he voted against an apartment building in his town. He just doesn't get it. In the meantime, he's making big $$$ working a second job under the table.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
there is the unofficial "snoot" factor in NH - nobody wants a trailer park near them because it may affect the value of their homes - there are towns where you can place a mobile home if you have some acreage - not all of NH disagrees with mobile homes

I think trailer parks are fine, but it stuns me sometime to find a beat up trailer sitting on a lot with a view 2DIE4.

It appears they don't last as long as a structured building... They fall apart very quickly without regular maintenance.

I have nothing against apartments and condos either. College kids and retirees need a place to live just like everyone else. It costs an arm and a leg to get into an apt. with the security, first month and last months rent up front.

I once worked with a guy that bragged about the fact that he voted against an apartment building in his town. He just doesn't get it. In the meantime, he's making big $$$ working a second job under the table.
Oh, I get it now! I was wondering: it is hard to afford a home if your family makes less than a $100K (didn't really do math, just guesstimating). So where do all the people who don't make that much money live? And why do others don't want them near? Who serves them at restaurants, fixes their homes and vehicles, teaches children and does a million of other things people can't live without?

I know - it is those people themselves working second jobs to afford their expensive homes that they don't want to lose value

Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 AM

259 posts, read 988,505 times
Default Only Property taxes support schools here.

[quote=LoveSnow;3136884]I was curious why do people in NH (and all NH people I know are here) have sort of a negative attitude toward apartment complexes and mobile homes?

The bulk of school costs are paid by property owners here, since we do not have a broad based tax(yet) Tax revenue from apartments pay about half in revenue of what a single family home does, Less for mobile parks, so a family of 5 squished into a 2 bedroom mobile, places undue tax burden on your neighbor that bought the $300K house.
Mobile Home parks are sparse here and no real bargain, since many park owners are booting out people in mobiles 25 years old or more. Even campgrounds refuse travel trailers older than 10 years for seasonal lots.Too many carpet-bagging urbanites escaping the city with their vagabond chilren in the summer!

Last edited by Yankeehombre; 03-16-2008 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire