Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:34 AM

219 posts, read 366,699 times

Advertisements

Much good advice in this thread but to augment one point. The majority of the state uses home heating oil. Per nhpr the breakdown is below. Depending on the current rates propane can be up to 50% more expensive than oil per btu. Solid fuel is always the cheapest but also the most work. Electric is extremely expensive in the northeast and only typically found in apartments built during the 70s.

Oil: 47%
NG: 20%
LP: 14%
Wood and electric: 8% each
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 12:34 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Lightbulb Look for a house that has or can take wood stoves or wood stove inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
Much good advice in this thread but to augment one point. The majority of the state uses home heating oil. Per nhpr the breakdown is below. Depending on the current rates propane can be up to 50% more expensive than oil per btu. Solid fuel is always the cheapest but also the most work. [Electric is extremely expensive in the northeast and only typically found in apartments built during the 70s.
Good point -- the installed heat source is an important factor when buying a house; you're probably not planning on switching out the heating system right after moving in. If you ask to see heating costs, try to get figures for December 2016-February 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
Oil: 47%
NG: 20%
LP: 14%
Wood and electric: 8% each
Here's a detailed analysis from the state.. I know many homeowners with a furnace running on HHO or LP (I have both) who use a wood stove (pellet or hardwood) when at home.

A fireplace can be a positive feature even if you have no interest in burning cordwood; most fireplaces can be (permanently) adapted to take a pellet stove insert by installing a flue liner.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:38 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Londonderry has good schools, reasonable commute to boston. If you were amenable to a townhome, I'd suggest century village...good amenities (pool, tennis, playground, clubhouse. Walking trails, ponds), walking distance to gym, movie theater, grocery shopping, restaurants.
You can get larger units about 2000sf under 275k

Old 09-23-2017, 03:54 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
PM Valerie C - She really knows this area.

WE also have a few townhouses available in my condominium - Rolling Meadows on Old Nashua Road. The structures were rebuilt last year and should be good for more decades.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:17 PM

29 posts, read 64,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
When you have well & septic, you do need to build this into your maintenance budget. If you don't have a big savings cushion, take the +$100/month you'd be paying for city services and stick it in a rainy day fund.

Personally, I don't miss city water and sewer at all, even after having a 15-year-old deep well pump burn out in the middle of December.

The only "city" infrastructure I truly miss after moving to New Hampshire is piped in natural gas (NG service coverage is minimal in NH, instead homeowners have propane delivered). I didn't realize how great it was to have an unending supply of cheap gas for cooking, heating and a generator until I had to live without it.

I started out with a "30 minute" as-the-crow-flies circle around Manchester airport, but after considering rivers and road speeds times, switched to using the google maps estimate of travel times from town centers to make a list of towns by travel time. Takes a while, but more accurate than Trulia, which does make pretty maps, like this:
Genius, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire