Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:30 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times

Advertisements

Most of my visitors from the west tend to exclaim over the whiteness of the people, the greenness of everything else, and the guns, especially the first time they see open carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Chicago and Cook (crook) county are outrageous. Legalized theft. A lot of folks do shopping in nearby counties
Boston/MA has some of the same issues as Chicago/IL (without the multiple politicians convicted of felonies, that's more RI's bag), with people driving north to NH to do their shopping. There's been a fair amount of drama, lawsuits, and political posturing around this, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Believe me. Your roads are a dream compared to chicago

Chicago is a huge, dense, city with lots of traffic. Not comparable to anything in NH.

I found living in Wisconsin, which you had mentioned, much cheaper than in New England. Groceries, for one, was waaaaaay less than in New England.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:14 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Chicago is a huge, dense, city with lots of traffic. Not comparable to anything in NH.

Oh it's comparable. Chicago metro area is miserable and NH was much MUCH better

Old 11-01-2017, 01:44 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Most of my visitors from the west tend to exclaim over the whiteness of the people, the greenness of everything else, and the guns, especially the first time they see open carry.

Boston/MA has some of the same issues as Chicago/IL (without the multiple politicians convicted of felonies, that's more RI's bag), with people driving north to NH to do their shopping. There's been a fair amount of drama, lawsuits, and political posturing around this, to say the least.
<cough cough> Sal DiMasi (former speaker of the house: conspiracy, extortion, fraud)... Tom Finneran (former speaker of the house: obstruction of justice)... Charles Flarety (former speaker of the house: felony tax evasion)... Dianne Wilkerson (former Senator: bribery), and a whole slew of others (drunk driving, sexual assault, bribery, blah blah blah... Political corruption in Massachusetts politicians might not be at the same level as Chicago/IL, but it's certainly not unknown...

Old 11-01-2017, 03:15 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Hey, Val. We are not without them around here either but I do not have their names just now. My biggest annoyance is the huge increase in traffic on and around Rt 102 in Londonderry. This has become a problem because the imports have brought their city traffic lack of manners with them.

I like NH even more since we have retired. Now we can visit the local museums and scenic places we missed while I was commuting to Boston. for our visitors and potential residents. Please realize that without any large state taxes we have to support our schools on local property taxes. This allows Londonderry to have excellent and expensive schools. We also have quite high property tax rates. Tax rates are just about as much for our rural areas but not as much money is available.

Visitors are always welcome and please stop in our State Liquor Stores for decent priced booze. Please don't drink the stuff before your drive. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:48 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Maine and VT are whiter than NH
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._United_States

Like the other states that are more white (Wyoming, Idaho, Iowa, etc.), the northern New England states are rural so there was never much of a migration by African Americans north; they tended to go to the cities for jobs.

At the end of the day, not many in NH really care about one's race or ethnicity...

Old 11-10-2017, 10:02 AM

11,060 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Oh it's comparable. Chicago metro area is miserable and NH was much MUCH better
Chicago and NH don't attract the same type of people as they are vastly different types of places.

Just the population of the city proper of Chicago is already 2x the entire state of New Hampshire. The MSA is 9x NH. Really not comparable. Though you're certainly free to prefer NH to Chicago.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 PM

23 posts, read 27,698 times
I believe people in New Hampshire are pretty laid back over all, very relaxed atmosphere, yes generally very polite, an old school, slower paced feel.

NH roads are very well kept, in comparison to Massachusetts anyways.

Gun laws are very relaxed, and in comparison to Chicago?
Like night and day, I’m not sure, but feel pretty confident, that you do not need a permit to own a handgun or rifle in NH, unless you want to carry conceiled

Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Talking I will concede that it's easier to get a good hotdog in Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Guy View Post
Gun laws are very relaxed, and in comparison to Chicago?
Like night and day, I’m not sure, but feel pretty confident, that you do not need a permit to own a handgun or rifle in NH, unless you want to carry conceiled
No permit necessary, not even to carry concealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Chicago and NH don't attract the same type of people as they are vastly different types of places.
So different, comparing the two is meaningless.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:51 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Those things are all true, but some of them seem rather odd to use to make a conclusion about quality of life.
Yep. Kind of odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire