Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:45 AM

32 posts, read 59,300 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to southern New Hampshire, however, the wife needs convincing. We will be see the place in the next few weeks. Any suggestions as to the best places/most picturesque towns to visit for the winter? I am thinking Portsmouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 06:07 AM

12,496 posts, read 9,584,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcntrl View Post
We are considering a move to southern New Hampshire, however, the wife needs convincing. We will be see the place in the next few weeks. Any suggestions as to the best places/most picturesque towns to visit for the winter? I am thinking Portsmouth.
Portsmouth is very pretty, and I'd suggest getting an Irish coffee and some hot seafood chowder in a restaurant along Bow St that will allow you to overlook the picturesque working harbor from a table at the back.

Other pretty towns in the local area that you can visit in one loop drive from Portsmouth, kind of circling the Great Bay, are:
  • Dover
  • Durham
  • Newmarket
  • Exeter

Hopefully you're not coming from FL, because winter here can be a big adjustment for the uninitiated though!

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-04-2018 at 06:16 AM..

Old 01-04-2018, 06:31 AM

32,947 posts, read 36,405,132 times
What you mean is that you want to move there and you're looking for a good persuasive argument.
Why do you want to move there? I've never been to New Hampshire, so I can't help you with that. It looks great in pictures. In which state do you live now? Would it be a big climate change? Since I don't like cold, anything above the 42nd parallel is a no go for me.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:22 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,437,798 times
Why Southern NH? What is prompting that location? Do you have employment in the area or other requirements?

Southern NH is really part of Greater Boston and Greater Boston isn't dramatically different than the Greater Washington D.C. area. If you're coming from Arlington, VA, I'm just curious what would be the compelling reasons for the move.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:23 AM

385 posts, read 346,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Hopefully you're not coming from FL, because winter here can be a big adjustment for the uninitiated though!
I just came from Florida and while it is a big adjustment, it's SO worth it. It's simply beautiful and loads of fun to experience the seasons, yes, including this cold winter! Nothing is as comforting and friendly as a wood stove fire. And with some common sense preparations (and wise home-choosing), it really is not a problem.

To the OP, if you have the time, try to make a short trip somewhere you can see the mountains, woods, lakes and streams, and farms, as well. I'm in eastern/central NH and it's just gorgeous up here with mountains peeking through every turn of Rte 16.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:45 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,251,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
I just came from Florida and while it is a big adjustment, it's SO worth it. It's simply beautiful and loads of fun to experience the seasons, yes, including this cold winter! Nothing is as comforting and friendly as a wood stove fire. And with some common sense preparations (and wise home-choosing), it really is not a problem.

To the OP, if you have the time, try to make a short trip somewhere you can see the mountains, woods, lakes and streams, and farms, as well. I'm in eastern/central NH and it's just gorgeous up here with mountains peeking through every turn of Rte 16.
I'm glad that you like the area. It really is a special place.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:03 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,678,790 times
Quote:
We are considering a move to southern New Hampshire, however, the wife needs convincing. We will be see the place in the next few weeks.
January/February are usually the months which work best at convincing flatlanders that they don't want to live in New Hampshire.

Quote:
Any suggestions as to the best places/most picturesque towns to visit for the winter? I am thinking Portsmouth.
If you're flying into Manchester, I'd recommend taking 101 towards Exeter, with plans for a meal stop at Tuckaway or Holy Grail.

The state capitol, Concord, is worth a visit

Old 01-04-2018, 12:23 PM

12,496 posts, read 9,584,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
January/February are usually the months which work best at convincing flatlanders that they don't want to live in New Hampshire.
I worked at Kodak in Rochester, NY. They got lake-effect snow, but the worst time of year was November - it was cloudy like 5 days a week then, and it would be super windy, and you would get this icy-cold rain flying horizontally at you while you were getting lashed by gusts of wind that would mangle any umbrella and tear the screen door off your house when you opened it up to step outside. They hired a new CEO and the papers were all signed. CEO comes to town with his wife on a house hunting trip and they had "one of those days" for their arrival. Wife said "Are you out of your mind???" and they packed up and went home and never came back.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:31 PM

32,947 posts, read 36,405,132 times
That's a great story!

Old 01-04-2018, 12:36 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,734,114 times
Portsmouth and Exeter NH are both gems. Concord and Durham are not that far away. There are many small towns all over New England that are absolutely stunning in the winter with some snow. Also, think Southern and Central Vermont. Montpelier, VT is up North, but it's a lovely small city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire