Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 10:18 AM

21 posts, read 26,352 times

Advertisements

Looking at Southern NH...Where would you recommend searching and visiting next?

I went to White mountains region last week and LOVED it!! Too far however for my wife to agree to from where our family is. That being said Southern NH is next stop in looking. What are we looking for?
  • Condo 3BR-Finished/Updated $300kish
  • Good School District
  • Safe neighborhood we currently live in a great neighborhood but down the road if you cross the train tracks its all gangs and kids cant ride bikes. I know crime is everywhere but dont want to be 10 min drive to drug infested neighborhood with gang violence.
  • Easy to rent our aibnb or long term if we dont like it
  • Close to some sort of attraction for selfish old me (Golf, Ski, Water, Etc)
  • Near a town not rural for access to shopping 10 min away

On zillow Hampton NH, Amherst NH look interesting but very opened at this point to all recommendations. We work remote so I want to be in area where we arent overpaying to be close to a major city if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 02:47 PM

28 posts, read 26,434 times
My wife said the same thing before moving to Thornton, NH. We're two hours from Boston and fifteen minutes to Waterville Valley, Loon and Cannon and five minutes to the best golf in NH, Owls Nest. Fifteen minutes to Plymouth with great shopping and a great arts community. We have the New Hampshire Music Festival and the New Hampshire Master Chorale.

Before moving here my wife said "I know it's heaven but I'm not ready to die".
After being here two days she said "I didn't realize I could live in heaven without dying. I can't believe I fought you on this."

Here's a link to what it's like right now in our backyard http://www.bobhatcherweather.com/wp-...apse/image.jpg

Old 07-25-2018, 03:23 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
I've been looking at the Monadnock region of southern NH. And why buy a condo when you can buy a nice house on a big lot within your budget?

https://www.beangroup.com/search/mct...or:/mstate_NH/

Old 07-25-2018, 03:31 PM

Would love to be in that area but i was told that not much going on there. The wife wants a Homegoods and shopping close.

I would love to be in that section SW NH as its closest to us now.

Can you be more specific with a town? Want to have a hospital and big shopping close by.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSkierGolfer View Post
My wife said the same thing before moving to Thornton, NH. We're two hours from Boston and fifteen minutes to Waterville Valley, Loon and Cannon and five minutes to the best golf in NH, Owls Nest. Fifteen minutes to Plymouth with great shopping and a great arts community. We have the New Hampshire Music Festival and the New Hampshire Master Chorale.

Before moving here my wife said "I know it's heaven but I'm not ready to die".
After being here two days she said "I didn't realize I could live in heaven without dying. I can't believe I fought you on this."

Here's a link to what it's like right now in our backyard http://www.bobhatcherweather.com/wp-...apse/image.jpg

Thanks for the response as I didnt see this. Looks like a great area but I think its a bit more north then the wife is willing. I will look into it though!

Old 07-26-2018, 06:19 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
So many towns in southern NH come to mind with your list of wants/needs. I would recommend starting your search along the Route 101 corridor, as the highway will put you to within minutes of shopping & dining. Most notable, on the easter edges of 101, Rte 108 in Exeter (exit 11)and Rte 125 in Epping (exit 7) has all the big box stores that it sounds like your wife wants (in a later post). This location will put you within an easy drive to the seacoast, to the eastern edges of the lakes, and if closer to the Rte 93 area, to the mountains as well. Lots of options!

My computer is about to restart, so I'll have to jump back on in a few minutes to give you some specific town recommendations, and also have some additional questions on your wants & needs (you and your wife's) Happy wife, happy life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcangelo41 View Post
Looking at Southern NH...Where would you recommend searching and visiting next?

I went to White mountains region last week and LOVED it!! Too far however for my wife to agree to from where our family is. That being said Southern NH is next stop in looking. What are we looking for?
  • Condo 3BR-Finished/Updated $300kish
  • Good School District
  • Safe neighborhood we currently live in a great neighborhood but down the road if you cross the train tracks its all gangs and kids cant ride bikes. I know crime is everywhere but dont want to be 10 min drive to drug infested neighborhood with gang violence.
  • Easy to rent our aibnb or long term if we dont like it
  • Close to some sort of attraction for selfish old me (Golf, Ski, Water, Etc)
  • Near a town not rural for access to shopping 10 min away

On zillow Hampton NH, Amherst NH look interesting but very opened at this point to all recommendations. We work remote so I want to be in area where we arent overpaying to be close to a major city if that makes sense.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:40 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Would take Newton, NH.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:19 AM

500 posts, read 636,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Would take Newton, NH.
Curious as to why. Care to elaborate?

Old 07-26-2018, 09:42 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcangelo41 View Post
Would love to be in that area but i was told that not much going on there. The wife wants a Homegoods and shopping close.

I would love to be in that section SW NH as its closest to us now.

Can you be more specific with a town? Want to have a hospital and big shopping close by.
Milford, Peterborough and surrounding towns.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:47 AM

12,436 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Near the seacoast, check out Exeter and Durham - both have nice, walkable downtowns and useful area businesses, low crime. Both have rivers that run through them and into the beautiful Great Bay/Little Bay, and are close to the NH beaches. Both have good schools. Durham also has UNH, which some will see as a positive, and others as a negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire