Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 05:22 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,018,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjoannarn View Post
My husband and I work in the healthcare field and are scheduled for a site visit at a hospital in Lebanon
Also note that there is a full VA Hospital in White River Junction, VT.
Just keep in mind that Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital has had layoffs in the past LINK.

Quote:
- do we ABSOLUTELY need 4WD or AWD vehicles for winter? We have an AWD and a RWD now.
Before you were born - all cars were rear wheel drive. Folks purchased chains and learned how to put them on and take them off. Later came studded snow tires.
Today, it is rare to see a rear wheel drive car.
Front wheel drive cars are fine up here. Just make sure to have good tires. Many are getting AWD now. If you end up living on a hill or on a dirt road - AWD might be better.
Use some common sense. Just don't drive on any roads during a snow storm or before the plows -sand/salt/brine - go out.
Get all of your vehicles oil undercoated or Fluid Film - each prevents rust. Today all towns in the winter use both rock salt and a newer liquid brine to melt the snow and prevent ice. The liquid brine is more corrosive then the rock salt. Without. Your vehicles will rust away on an accelerated basis.

Quote:
Meaning there are no weekly residential trash pickups like we have now?
Going to the Dump (recycling center) is quite common in all rural areas. The smaller rural towns do not have any trash pickup. Some suburban downtown areas will have limited trash pickup. All depends on where one lives. Going to the Dump is quite accepted here. Whether city or rural just don't leave your trash outside. Or look up bear proof trash cans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 06:15 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,518,379 times
Curiously, the only time our AWD comes on is during mud season, and that's because we live on a dirt road. For a few weeks each spring, the roadbed gets very soft and rutted in parts. AWD helps then.

Oil undercoating seems to be a NH thing. No evidence that it prevents rust, but good evidence that it collects dirt - just ask a mechanic that doesn't make money doing it. Modern cars are also not like those from decades past. Modern cars are much more rust proof if not damaged.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:46 AM
KCZ

4,686 posts, read 3,690,072 times
For people from the tropics who've never driven in snow, probably a winter driving class would be more useful than a debate on brands of snow tires. And yes, AWD would help them.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:50 PM

7 posts, read 7,732 times
Thank you for all the helpful tips. My husband and I got our dream jobs, a nice rental townhome, and in the process of looking for a 4wd/awd suv. Trying to be ready for our late October move! We are excited!

Old 08-26-2019, 06:40 AM

385 posts, read 346,826 times
Quote:
Thank you for all the helpful tips. My husband and I got our dream jobs, a nice rental townhome, and in the process of looking for a 4wd/awd suv. Trying to be ready for our late October move! We are excited!
That's wonderful, congratulations! It's a very exciting and busy time and you will be moving here in the most beautiful time in New Hampshire, in my opinion. Good timing.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:37 AM

199 posts, read 182,057 times
October is amazing in NH!

Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,518,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
October is amazing in NH!
As is November, December, January...

Old 09-01-2019, 07:00 AM

89 posts, read 126,522 times
Quote:
Hi all! I came across City-Data while searching for differences in daily living in FL compared to NH. However, the post I was reading was 6 years old, so I decided to make a new one. My husband and I work in the healthcare field and are scheduled for a site visit at a hospital in Lebanon next week. We will be meeting with a realtor during that time. The towns we are looking at are Lebanon/West Lebanon, Hanover, Plainfield, Grantham, and Enfield; all are within/less than a 30-minute drive to the hospital and I am aware of the property taxes (ranging from 1.9% to 2.8%). My questions are:
- do we ABSOLUTELY need 4WD or AWD vehicles for winter? We have an AWD and a RWD now.
- is it better to rent first or buy if we are planning to stay at least 2 years in the area? We have 2 dogs and are finding it hard to look for pet-friendly rentals. For example, there are only 2 apartment complexes that are pet-friendly in Lebanon.
- is it true that we are essentially on our own with regards to trash disposal? Meaning there are no weekly residential trash pickups like we have now? I have read about transfer stations where they charge you per bag of trash you bring.
- just how harsh are the winters? I think that will be my major concern, as I have only lived in tropical areas.

I will think of more once we get done with site visit and hopefully they'll have answers for some of our concerns too, but would love to hear from you!
1. My saying is "I'd rather have 4WD/AWD and not need it than need it an not have it". But like others have said if you live in the city you should be ok.

2. If I were you I would rent. If after a year or two you may decide you don't like it or want to leave for some other reason you'd have to unload a house. It's a lot easier to leave a rental than a home.

3. If you have never lived in a place like NH with the long long winters you will be in for a big surprise and you better LOVE the cold and snow. Again, rent........and get used to Dunkin Donuts.

Good luck.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:58 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,532,767 times
Invest in some YakTrax (about 30.00), if you have dogs to walk. They are invaluable for walking on ice. Give great traction and can slip on over shoes. Can order online. For your dogs, buy some Musher's Secret. You put it on the pads of their feet to prevent ice burns. Wash dogs paws off with cool water if you walked where they salt the roads or sidewalks. Keep a bag of kitty litter and rock salt in your trunk, a small gardening hand shovel as well as jumper cables. AAA is handy up there. My mom needed them several times.
Wash your car weekly to help avoid rust. Get the salt off the car. Buy Hot Hands hand warmers. Work great, especially if walking dogs. Keep some in your car in the winter in case you ever break down, slide off the road, battery dies, and you have to wait for help. Not a bad idea to keep a heavy blanket in car as well. Get a can of lock deicer and keep in car. If your windshield has ice on it don't dump hot water on it as it can break your windshield. A bottle of rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle will melt ice quickly.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:59 AM

7 posts, read 7,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Invest in some YakTrax (about 30.00), if you have dogs to walk. They are invaluable for walking on ice. Give great traction and can slip on over shoes. Can order online. For your dogs, buy some Musher's Secret. You put it on the pads of their feet to prevent ice burns. Wash dogs paws off with cool water if you walked where they salt the roads or sidewalks. Keep a bag of kitty litter and rock salt in your trunk, a small gardening hand shovel as well as jumper cables. AAA is handy up there. My mom needed them several times.
Wash your car weekly to help avoid rust. Get the salt off the car. Buy Hot Hands hand warmers. Work great, especially if walking dogs. Keep some in your car in the winter in case you ever break down, slide off the road, battery dies, and you have to wait for help. Not a bad idea to keep a heavy blanket in car as well. Get a can of lock deicer and keep in car. If your windshield has ice on it don't dump hot water on it as it can break your windshield. A bottle of rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle will melt ice quickly.

Thank you for the tips! I have looked into YakTrax and they're pretty affordable on Amazon. I will look into Musher's Secret, our dogs will love that! What is the kitty litter for? I am already planning on getting AAA coverage once we get closer to moving for the looong drive up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire