Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2019, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 18,626 times

Advertisements

Hello to the helpful, informative folks on this board.
We are a youngish family with 3 kids (10, 8, 4)currently living in Nashua and looking to move to a neighborhood in Hollis NH or Windham NH. We have visited both towns, talked to many people, researched online and like them equally in terms of Schools, town facilities, etc.
Currently, my spouse works in Merrimack and has to occasionally travel to Boston, which might increase in the future but it is not a very big concern if he has to. Our main criteria for selecting the town are Good schools, proximity to shopping (groceries) and kid's activities and living in a safe kid-friendly neighborhood.

Any Pros vs Cons of living in one town vs other would be helpful in further making up our mind. Thanks in advance to all who respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 07:21 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
I live in MA but I worked at Fidelity in Merrimack for several years. Far more of my colleagues lived in Amherst and Hollis than Windham. Ease of commute to the Fidelity campus and access to Nashua area amenities were the primary drivers.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:51 AM

101 posts, read 96,576 times
Windham is more accessible to Boston via 93 as opposed to rt 3, and is closer to Salem for shopping. Boston is literally 35 mins from parts of Windham on a weekend.

Hollis is more rural (relatively), and farther away from Nashua for shopping. Commute to merrimack is way easier from Hollis.

Both are nice towns- Windham is more suburban cul-de-sac while Hollis is more spread out older homes (and some newer ones) and lots of green space.

I prefer Nashua to Salem

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2020, 02:05 PM

Hi
Thanks a lot for responding. We are aware that travel time would increase from Windham to Merrimack and are ok with that, as possible Boston commute will become better. Since both towns have no public transit to Boston, we are not losing by moving to Windham.
The primary concern is a comparison between schools in two towns and activities for kids. There are newer schools in Windham, but there do not seem to be any other activities in town. Any inputs in that regard would be appreciated.

Regards

Old 01-03-2020, 06:53 AM

101 posts, read 96,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holywinsome move View Post
Hi
Thanks a lot for responding. We are aware that travel time would increase from Windham to Merrimack and are ok with that, as possible Boston commute will become better. Since both towns have no public transit to Boston, we are not losing by moving to Windham.
The primary concern is a comparison between schools in two towns and activities for kids. There are newer schools in Windham, but there do not seem to be any other activities in town. Any inputs in that regard would be appreciated.

Regards
I know that Hollis-Brookline HS and Windham HS are both some of the best in NH. They have comparable student enrollment, although Hollis-Brookline is a tad smaller. Not that it matters really, but Windham does have a beautiful new high school building.

As far as activities go- I'd say Windham has a bit more going on due to its proximity to the highway. Both towns are suburban to suburban-rural and neither have true downtowns. Hollis is dependent on Nashua and you would be driving to Nashua often for activities- Windham is probably a bit less reliant on Salem but still is...

I'll be honest, both of these towns are quiet towns with not much happening right in the town- if you currently are in Nashua you may prefer Hollis, as all the Nashua stuff would be available right there (20-15 min drive).

As gf2020 said, the commute from Hollis to Merrimack is also a whole lot better than cutting over on back roads from Windham.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:11 PM

Thanks a lot for your input. Appreciate it. I guess it might just depend on the immediate neighborhood given the similarity of both towns.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,683 times
@holywinsome move

We are also considering between Hollis and Windham! There aren't a lot of houses listed at the moment unfortunately. Which town did you end up choosing?

We both work from home, so commuting isn't a decision factor. But the school system is as we have 3 young kids. We lean towards to Hollis as it is closer to Neshua for shopping and activities, but wonder if one school system is better than the other...

Last edited by newhomeseeker19; 02-14-2021 at 08:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire