Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 10:52 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Any recommendations for a water treatment system installer in north/central NH? Or advice on companies to avoid?
Most recent good experience was with Bill Trombly; they cover at least as far north as Laconia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 05:30 AM

15 posts, read 19,560 times
I’m bumping this thread because I’m on the verge of accepting a job offer where i’d relocate to Southern New Hampshire and i just found out about the drinking water problem. I looked on the Internet and saw that this is still an ongoing issue. Just want to see if there are any local residents on this board who can add any insider information about this situation? Is this really cause for concern? I’m now seriously reconsidering accepting this job offer. Contaminated drinking water is a huge deal to me and causes concern.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:58 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,056,302 times
I'm really not seeing the drama here. Towns with municipal water test their water. Example here-https://www.pvwsd.org/consumer-confidence-reports

NH collects those tests and has its own standards. Lots of information here: https://www.des.nh.gov/water/drinkin...-water-systems

You can send your water to be tested. Example here: https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/lab/water-lab/

If still not satisfied, bottled water is cheap and available almost anywhere.

None of this seems like anything to lose sleep over to me.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:37 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajak View Post
I’m bumping this thread because I’m on the verge of accepting a job offer where i’d relocate to Southern New Hampshire and i just found out about the drinking water problem. I looked on the Internet and saw that this is still an ongoing issue. Just want to see if there are any local residents on this board who can add any insider information about this situation? Is this really cause for concern? I’m now seriously reconsidering accepting this job offer. Contaminated drinking water is a huge deal to me and causes concern.
What part of southern NH are you considering? Of course the best situation would be a city or town that has a municipal water supply, which is tested regularly by an independent lab. Private wells have no requirements for testing (even in rentals) so finding a place with Public Water would be key.

When purchasing a home, most buyers include a water test as part of their Home Inspection - but this year, many buyers are waiving inspections completely (a scary thought for sure!) just to get their usually well over asking price offer accepted. I foresee a lot of Buyers Remorse in the next few years, but I digress...) Standard testing does not typically include lead, arsenic, radon, mtbe or PFOA/PFAS. Some homes that are known to have issues (particularly if there is a documented cause for the contamination) may supply drinking water via delivery or in extreme cases, may run a line to provide public water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
I'm really not seeing the drama here. Towns with municipal water test their water. Example here-https://www.pvwsd.org/consumer-confidence-reports

NH collects those tests and has its own standards. Lots of information here: https://www.des.nh.gov/water/drinkin...-water-systems

You can send your water to be tested. Example here: https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/lab/water-lab/

If still not satisfied, bottled water is cheap and available almost anywhere.

None of this seems like anything to lose sleep over to me.
Sorry but I have to disagree. The most important thing for any house isn't whether or not you have quartz countertops and hardwood floors - but if the air is safe to breath and the water is safe to drink.

While some contaminants are easy to resolve (shocking a well to remove bacteria, for noisy (radon remediation, for example) and in some cases - impossible to remove from water once present. I know plenty of people who get bottled water delivered - but they still have be careful not to injest water - and in some cases- the EPA and/or NH DES recommends not using contaminated well water on food crops. This can be a major inconvenience...

Old 07-05-2021, 06:16 AM

15 posts, read 19,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
What part of southern NH are you considering? Of course the best situation would be a city or town that has a municipal water supply, which is tested regularly by an independent lab. Private wells have no requirements for testing (even in rentals) so finding a place with Public Water would be key.

When purchasing a home, most buyers include a water test as part of their Home Inspection - but this year, many buyers are waiving inspections completely (a scary thought for sure!) just to get their usually well over asking price offer accepted. I foresee a lot of Buyers Remorse in the next few years, but I digress...) Standard testing does not typically include lead, arsenic, radon, mtbe or PFOA/PFAS. Some homes that are known to have issues (particularly if there is a documented cause for the contamination) may supply drinking water via delivery or in extreme cases, may run a line to provide public water...
Thank you for the response. I don’t have a specific location picked out. But I’m considering Amherst, Merrimack, Londonderry. However I’m very flexible on location as long as it’s commutable to Lowell MA. How can I find out what towns have municipal water supplies? I Suppose another option would be to install a home filtration system of some kind?

I’ve read that the issue also extends to areas closer to the coast, like Dover, Rochester, and Hampton. So it looks like this is truly widespread. I suppose having drinking water delivered is an option, however I’d certainly love to live somewhere where I’m confident that the water coming out of the tap isn’t dangerous.

I also found this map, which is certainly helpful.

https://nhdes.maps.arcgis.com/apps/V...9.6852,45.4489

Last edited by dakotajak; 07-05-2021 at 06:34 AM..

Old 07-05-2021, 03:16 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Exclamation Town water doesn't necessarily reach every home in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajak View Post
Thank you for the response. I don’t have a specific location picked out. But I’m considering Amherst, Merrimack, Londonderry. However I’m very flexible on location as long as it’s commutable to Lowell MA. How can I find out what towns have municipal water supplies? I Suppose another option would be to install a home filtration system of some kind?
Some towns have municipal water only for certain neighborhoods and most new developments, for example Amherst originally only hooked up a subset of homes, and has explored expanding municipal supply to additional homes which tested positive for PFOA.

Yes, filtration can work.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:59 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,056,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post

Sorry but I have to disagree. The most important thing for any house isn't whether or not you have quartz countertops and hardwood floors - but if the air is safe to breath and the water is safe to drink.

While some contaminants are easy to resolve (shocking a well to remove bacteria, for noisy (radon remediation, for example) and in some cases - impossible to remove from water once present. I know plenty of people who get bottled water delivered - but they still have be careful not to injest water - and in some cases- the EPA and/or NH DES recommends not using contaminated well water on food crops. This can be a major inconvenience...

Oh I'm certainly not saying that safe drinking water isn't important.

What I'm saying is the information on water quality is readily available, ways to verify the information is readily available, and ways to mitigate water quality whether through treatment or bottled water is easy and convenient. Admittedly at a price unless you go to the town well, and that has a labor and time penalty. After I get a well put in, I'll definitely put some effort into occasional testing.

If it comes to a place where you can't ingest the water, I've spent years living places where I had to brush my teeth with bottled or treated water. It isn't a huge deal and it becomes normal very quickly.

If one landed in a place where the well wouldn't support food crops, yes that is an inconvenience, time consuming, and annoying. Still ways around it that aren't extremely cost prohibitive for small gardens.

Again, not discounting the concern or saying knowing the water quality water isn't important, just saying I'll put more effort into deciding whether to eat the left or the right banana of my two remaining bananas. This is an easy problem to knock down so one can better spend time solving more difficult problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire