Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2020, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,909 times

Advertisements

Hi! Me and my boyfriend are planning to move in a year or so to either newberryport Ma or Dover NH and we are wondering if anyone has advice on which may be a better fit. We are 25 and would like to move somewhere where we can meet people our age and things to do. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 12:58 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,055,725 times
What would be your reasons for choosing one state over the other?

Where are you all working?

Old 08-02-2020, 01:23 PM

We work remotely so we are able to live anywhere, the reason we are deciding between those two areas is that we have been recommended these two spots as a place to relocate to on the east coast. We are more focused on the towns/ what it is like to live there verses the state if that makes sense.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:38 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Newburyport is great, especially if you need to commute into the Boston metro area. It's happening for a small city, is commutable into Boston (if barely), and has a pretty and accessible harborfront and really beautiful parks flanking it, plus it's strategically located for heading up into New Hampshire and Maine. To me the only real downside is, it's very pricey.

If you don't need to commute into Boston, and especially if you're at all price sensitive, I'd rather save the money and live in Dover. You'll probably save at least 1/3 on a home there, if not more, and a similar story for rent. And Dover has a nice walkable downtown, and it's convenient to interesting places like Newmarket, Durham - which has the main campus for UNH, Portsmouth, Rye and Kittery, while still being close enough for a weekend daytrip into Boston or Cambridge if you get the urge. Heading up to the White Mountains for a daytrip is possible, but it's a long ways with no divided highway, so it can be a little iffy for a daytrip - Route 16 has an unfortunate number of head-on crashes as I recall. But it's very doable as an overnight or weekend trip for skiing, hiking or camping.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 08-02-2020 at 06:47 PM..

Old 08-02-2020, 08:51 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Newburyport is very expensive. People have yachts and a lot of the homes are historic and large. There's a lot to do and good restaurants are numerous. It's an ideal place to live, as you can read in the previous post. Beaches, proximity to interesting places to explore, great natural beauty in terms of ocean, marshland, parks.

I've only been to Dover a few times but it would be cheaper, however they always warn to watch for property taxes in NH. You'd still get a beach and I think the town is fine but I just don't know more than that. To me, in the winter I didn't like driving up into New Hampshire due to ice and snow but that was the only reason I didn't head up there that often. The Newburyport area had everything I wanted. On the average, Massachusetts is much more liberal than New Hampshire, so there's that too.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:53 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Newburyport is an old fishing village that has been revived.
As stated above. Lot's to do and many shops and restaurants. Fresh seafood.
Has train to Boston.

Dover is a nice New Hampshire town. So is Durham nearby. Durham is a college town.

Both areas will probably have a shortage of rental units.

Massachusetts has an income tax and a sales tax. New Hampshire has neither. If that is going to be your deciding point.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:28 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May133 View Post
Hi! Me and my boyfriend are planning to move in a year or so to either newberryport Ma or Dover NH and we are wondering if anyone has advice on which may be a better fit. We are 25 and would like to move somewhere where we can meet people our age and things to do. Thanks!
Where are you located now? Are you far from us?

Both place have their merits and are close to each other and also close to Portsmouth and going up the Maine seacoast. Your final decision might be dependent on what your housing choices are when you arrive in the area.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 AM

Thank you everyone, this is all super helpful! And we are currently located in Colorado but are originally from Connecticut so we are familiar with New England but not these towns specifically. Would you say that there are people in their 20s or 30s in both areas? I think we were leaning towards Newburyport but we are wondering if there will be people our age there.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:14 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
I think we were leaning towards Newburyport but we are wondering if there will be people our age there.
Nothing beats living in a town on the ocean/port/seacoast. Specially one that has lots of history. And one that has been revitalized.
Newburyport as well as Ipswich, MA are right on the ocean and have lots of history. With train service to Boston.

Portsmouth, NH would accomplish the same in New Hampshire. But without the train service to Boston.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:22 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone, this is all super helpful! And we are currently located in Colorado but are originally from Connecticut so we are familiar with New England but not these towns specifically. Would you say that there are people in their 20s or 30s in both areas? I think we were leaning towards Newburyport but we are wondering if there will be people our age there.
There are certainly young people in Newburyport, but a lot of them grew up here.... I think Dover will actually have more young people who moved there as young adults, because of the friendlier price point...plus, you've got UNH just up the road in Durham, and a lot of students or fresh graduates live in Dover too. I live in Newburyport now, and it was a long time ago, but I got my PhD at UNH in Durham... after graduating I lived in MD and NY for 7 years before coming back to the area and settling in Newburyport.

Newburyport is awesome, but pricing these days is a real barrier - very unfriendly. Portsmouth is a fairly similar town, 20 or so minutes up into NH, and it too, has daunting pricing - they're similar in that way too. I guess I already said this, but personally, I'd look hard at Dover. You really need to check out prices a good deal and also see these places firsthand - put boots on the ground. Besides Dover, other local seacoast area towns worth a look to me are Exeter, Durham, and Kittery in NH, and Amesbury in MA.

P.S. I just did some casual trolling of rentals on Trulia - Dover was mostly running $1400-$2000 for a 2-bedroom, and Newburyport was mostly running $2000-$3000 for a 2-bedroom.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 08-04-2020 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire