Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,004 times

Advertisements

Relocating out of South Jersey after being laid off, looking at Portsmouth area as a possible new home. With all the craziness in the world today just curious what the political climate is like in this area.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 06:45 AM

121 posts, read 109,834 times
I'd suggest you to look up the history of voting in these areas and that will give you a good idea of which way the city leans.

I moved from NY to NH as a liberal democrat and find a good mix of political ideologies which is fine by me. I've noticed some towns lean more with certain political signs on front lawns while overall it seems like NH holds mostly true to its value of being a free state that allows you to believe or support what you want to support.

Work is another story as all I hear are people bashing liberals and democrats. People don't seem to realize that there are rational people on both sides of the fence even if you don't agree with everything.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:02 AM

557 posts, read 610,028 times
They elected a new mayor last year, and he is a younger guy, and a business owner. He is a little more in touch with reality than the last mayor, and is making some meaningful, positive changes for the city.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:17 PM

5,959 posts, read 2,905,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega145 View Post
I'd suggest you to look up the history of voting in these areas and that will give you a good idea of which way the city leans.

I moved from NY to NH as a liberal democrat and find a good mix of political ideologies which is fine by me. I've noticed some towns lean more with certain political signs on front lawns while overall it seems like NH holds mostly true to its value of being a free state that allows you to believe or support what you want to support.

Work is another story as all I hear are people bashing liberals and democrats. People don't seem to realize that there are rational people on both sides of the fence even if you don't agree with everything.
Not as Meany rational Democrats as there were 20 years ago. Same rational Repbs as 50 years ago Just too many blowins from outside.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:19 AM

121 posts, read 109,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Not as Meany rational Democrats as there were 20 years ago. Same rational Repbs as 50 years ago Just too many blowins from outside.
Hard to understand how you wrote that but one could argue that there are just as many irrational Democrats as there are Republicans today. All perspective and personal opinion.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:58 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,545,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc61 View Post
Relocating out of South Jersey after being laid off, looking at Portsmouth area as a possible new home. With all the craziness in the world today just curious what the political climate is like in this area.

Thanks in advance.
It’s so sad we now move to areas based on “political climate”. With that being said, I’d NEVER move to VT, lol.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:16 PM

12,624 posts, read 9,765,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc61 View Post

Thanks in advance.
The seacoast NH region tends to be fairly liberal - probably roughly like Jersey in that respect, it's just that the people are more outdoorsy in NH. Generally speaking, as you go north in the state, it gets more conservative.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:49 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,069,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
It’s so sad we now move to areas based on “political climate”.

I don't think it is a "now" thing. For the last 30 odd years I have been crossing states off my list to include the one I was born and graduated high school in(not NH). The last almost 30 years of moving around the country and the world has helped inform me of this as well.

That said, now that NH is my primary choice to move to(in two months), there are parts of the state I would not move to for their extreme political tendencies or "vibe".

Old 06-21-2020, 08:15 PM

12,624 posts, read 9,765,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
It’s so sad we now move to areas based on “political climate”. With that being said, I’d NEVER move to VT, lol.
It's not something I've ever thought about when making decisions, but I know it's a common concern these days.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:09 AM

6 posts, read 4,236 times
I believe it's politico.com is where you can look up 2016 National election results by State, and then County. Or a simple google search '2016 election results by state", will ultimately lead you to a website that has that information. You can get a pretty good idea that way as Omega145 has pointed out.

A few months ago I started researching other States that I felt would be a 'fit' for me (using 'basic' criteria such as 'economy', 'tax burden', 'housing costs', etc.,). New Hampshire is at the top of that list. I plan to visit at the end of July and check out some areas.

From my research, it seemed to me that NH was pretty well split down the middle. Of course you'll have areas that lean more to the right or to the left. But I've never stepped foot in NH, so maybe I'm not the guy for definitive answers on this.

I responded to this thread because 'political climate' is a factor that I am using to base my decision. I currently live in Chicago. I vote more conservative/libertarian. Chicago is pretty far left and heading further left. I just want out for that reason and for a host of other reasons. I don't want extreme right either - so NH seems like, on paper, a good candidate so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: