Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 05:10 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,067,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

<post snipped>

So guns and gun shops aren't something I'm comfortable with.
<post snipped>

Dude I really have a hard time taking someone seriously when they are afraid of inanimate objects.

Too each their own, but you might as well have just told me that you are uncomfortable around a bag of potato chips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 12:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Dude I really have a hard time taking someone seriously when they are afraid of inanimate objects.

Too each their own, but you might as well have just told me that you are uncomfortable around a bag of potato chips.

I can't take a person seriously that equates a snack with a device designed to kill another being.

And I've hunted (mostly quail and pheasant).

Old 07-09-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I can't take a person seriously that equates a snack with a device designed to kill another being.

And I've hunted (mostly quail and pheasant).

An inanimate object is an inanimate object.

Would you have preferred I used a soup fork or a blinker fluid checker?

Old 07-09-2020, 03:20 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
An inanimate object is an inanimate object.

Would you have preferred I used a soup fork or a blinker fluid checker?
No they aren't. Oxys are inanimate objects. Guns are inanimate objects. Nuclear warheads are inanimate objects. Cassette tapes are inanimate objects.

They are in no way shape or form the same thing, or similar, and anyone that believes they are... well, for starters, they have NO BUSINESS having a firearm. When I pick up a piece of cake, I have no fear of anything. When I pick up a 20 gauge shotgun, I am hyper aware of everything I'm doing, everyone and everything (esp the dogs) around me, because I know if I err I can maim or kill someone. Those two situations are nothing alike. NOTHING.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:46 PM

5,957 posts, read 2,902,482 times
Timberline , I have a Holland &Holland Double rifle in .500/450 hanging on my lodge wall over the fireplace. It been there for well over 20 years
,During that time well over 400 guests have looked at it and it has never so much has gone pffft.
abnfdc is correct, 15 feet over the fireplace its as dangerous as a bag of chips.
as far as a Nuclear Warhead, its as dangerous has my double rifle.They both have to be armed .I know about both was on a Navy Nuclear Weapons loading team in the Navys UnderwaterDemolition Teams. also carried a two man SADAM pack in southeast asia

Old 07-10-2020, 04:00 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,232,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, I'd say Portsmouth is very progressive. It's a rich town, trendy town with expensive shops in the downtown and cutesy restaurants. They have a great theater, an incredible park, and always something happening. In the rest of southern NH you get a mixture of hateful people and more reasonable people and the farther north you go in the state, the more Red it gets until it's just about all red. Some of the people can be really nasty and mean spirited, lots of guns and gun shops all over the place, and they like it that way.
I moved from MA six years ago. And I would say that longtime NH residents are actually very nice people with a live and let attitude. And even though I am Chinese, I have never felt like an outsider, or unwelcome. Even with this pandemic and COVID originating from China, not a single NH has made me feel uncomfortable about having a Chinese heritage.

That said, it might be YOUR attitude towards guns that makes NH people hostile towards you. I do see that NH people get defensive anytime anyone suggests that there be limits on the 2nd Amendment rights. Or recently, when people complain about the noisy private fireworks displays by their neighbors. Or complain about loud motorcycle exhausts. lol

Then, there are tensions when new neighbors move in from places like MA and demand curbside pickup trash or more money for schools. No one wants to see their property taxes increase over these frivolities. Also, outsiders are causing our housing market to become too expensive for the locals to afford. And for developers to build more housing, which then causes the towns to need bigger schools and more police/firefighter personnel... which leads to higher property taxes.

Anyway, NH is about less government regulation and oversight. And as a rural state, it works for us. We only get hostile when newcomers move in and want to change our relaxed rural way of life. Don't like all the gun ownership, then stay in MA. Want better schools or more special ed support, then move to MA.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:01 AM
KCZ

4,689 posts, read 3,699,760 times
Well said, Miu. The "I'm not from NH, but I moved here and don't like it here, so we need to change NH so it's more like where I used to live" and "BTW, I don't care if my wants make it impossible for long-time residents to pay their property taxes because I used to make a boatload more money in my previous state so I can afford to pay them" gets very tiresome.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:45 AM

121 posts, read 109,772 times
"Given that property taxes is how NH towns fund their schools, most here will not welcome a family moving into their town with a special needs child." - sounds like some friendly NH people!

Old 07-13-2020, 03:45 PM

5,957 posts, read 2,902,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega145 View Post
"Given that property taxes is how NH towns fund their schools, most here will not welcome a family moving into their town with a special needs child." - sounds like some friendly NH people!
So how friendly was Long Island two years ago before you left.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega145 View Post

That sounds like people who think with their heads instead of only their heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: