Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 04:14 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,569 times

Advertisements

OP, I really liked your description of NYC! I don't live in NYC but know exactly what you mean and I've lost good friends who are like vaccine crusaders! If I were you, I'd leave as well. I can't advise you of where to go--I'm in a similar situation--in Fairfield County after moving back from FL but want to go somewhere in "real" England. I hope you like NH or CO and can make an easy decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 07:00 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
I thought it would be easier to put all of my answers right into your post (mine is in bold italicized purple font)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeclientele31 View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for some thoughts or advice if anybody would be willing to help please. A little about me:

I am a 28 year old male currently living in NYC and unfortunately I just cannot take it here any longer. I've only been here 4 years, but the city is completely different and I would like to move out as soon as possible. I just received a 25% increase on my lease renewal for the end of April.

Please don't get angry with me (I'm conditioned to expect this reaction around here), but I'm a fairly conservative person. I guess you could say libertarian. I really have no desire to tell other people how to live their life -- gay, straight, black, white, young, old, sick, healthy...we each are who we are. Unfortunately, I don't fit in in this new version of NYC where I feel like it's propagandized, brainwashed, restricted, surveilled and micro-managed (yet lawless at the same time). This is just my opinion so please, go easy on me. I've made the choice not to get vaccinated, so I can't even eat in a restaurant here.

It sounds like New Hampshire might be a good fit for you. Keep in mind that overall, we are NOT a Republican state and we're NOT a Democratic state - and we're really not a Libertarian state either, but most of the folks here really don't give a fig what color you are, whether you're gay, straight, trans, whatever. We're more of a state that says "I'll do my thing, you do your thing, and let's not get in each other's way while we're doing it". Regarding your decision not to be vaccinated, that's your business as well - and while certain venues have a 'masks for all unvaccinated persons rule, most are of the belief that unvaxed ppl are a danger only to themselves, not others (for the record, I'm fully vaxed, got COVID just before Thanksgiving, and had such mild symptoms that I could easily have infected others! Imagine that - I, the fully vaxed person was a danger to the unvaxed - that scares the crap out of me!)

My job is fully remote so there's no need for me to be here. I don't know where to go though. I used to live in Denver and loved it there, and I've strongly considered moving back, but I've also met some really welcoming people in New Hampshire recently, some with the Free State Project and some who have just moved there from NYC for a better life. As someone who prefers 4 seasons and mountainous climates, I think maybe New Hampshire would be a good option. I fell in love with skiing, hiking, camping while I was in CO and assume I can do all of those in NH. I've never been there but am totally open minded at this point.

[i]You can definitely do all of the above in New Hampshire, but be warned - while we LOVE our beautiful White Mountains, they're nothing like the Rockies. I was SHOCKED (and a little insulted LOL) to have some friends from Colorado refer to them as 'cute little baby mountains' but everyone I know who visits comes back with stories of how incredibly AWESOME the Rocky Mountains really are. Hoping to get there in the next year or two (just for a visit, mind you...)

My main concern is as a 28 year old single male, I'm not sure I'm the type to live completely remotely and have always preferred living in a more urban area. I'm open to changing though, and as long as I can find a community of friends who get together regularly and maybe a chance to meet someone to enter into a relationship with, I'll be happy.

New Hampshire as a whole has very few urban areas BUT we're close enough to MA (aka the center of the universe...) to make nights/weekends in the city very doable. We have more than a handful of venues for concerts, comedy nights, theater, and for a small, relatively rural state - we have a plethora of locally owned shops, restaurants, micro-breweries (and meaderies/cider houses too!) - and supporting locally owned business is very important to many of us. The national chains don't have nearly the presence here as they do in most other states, especially once you're north of Concord (our state capitol, located in the center of the state).

I also do improv (well, used to, I can't in NYC anymore because I'm not vaccinated) and kickboxing (fortunately I've found a place that lets me in) so I'd like to get involved in those wherever I go too.

When I think of improv, I think of Portsmouth! You'll definitely want to check out the seacoast, or perhaps 2 or 3 towns west of the coast. Friendlier prices too...

Can anyone give me any thoughts or advice? Do I sound like I would fit in in NH? Is there a city or town you would recommend? I was thinking maybe Manchester would be good for me. Or should I just move back to Denver?

Manchester or Nashua could work - like any other city, you'll want to be careful where you look (even a 28 year old male...). There are some great neighborhoods, some good condo developments/redeveloped mill buildings right in the downtown areas. Could also think about Dover, Rochester/Somersworth (easy access to Portsmouth). It's getting late for me to be giving recommendations, but will check back in in the AM if something else comes to mind...

Thank you.

You're welcome

Old 02-18-2022, 09:25 AM

15 posts, read 23,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I thought it would be easier to put all of my answers right into your post (mine is in bold italicized purple font)
Thank you. I really appreciate this, it's very helpful. I'm traveling to your state this weekend and will be there for a week!

I'm excited to see if it's for me. Aside from having a large urban area, everything else seems to fit exactly what I'm looking for.

And for the record, you DO NOT have to be scared about being a danger to unvaccinated people -- first of all it's my responsibility, and secondly, I don't think I could possibly be LESS worried about "COVID"!

Old 02-18-2022, 07:10 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Again, me in purple below...

Quote:
Thank you. I really appreciate this, it's very helpful. I'm traveling to your state this weekend and will be there for a week!

That sounds great, and with no big storms on tap, should make for easy travel. Temps'll be unseasonably warm the early part of the week, good weather to explore. Tell us what you're looking most to explore - I'm sure the good people here on CD will jump in with some ideas for you!

I'm excited to see if it's for me. Aside from having a large urban area, everything else seems to fit exactly what I'm looking for.

]Because you can cover much of New Hampshire in a couple of days, you may want to take a little side trip to Portland, Maine - specifically Old Port. Lots of fun places to check out BUT being an urban area in blue-state Maine, as you might have guessed, you'll probably need to wear a mask. Same in Newburyport, MA. At least here in New Hampshire, masking will be on a business-by-business basis except for the more liberal blue towns like Portsmouth being one of them) sorry)

And for the record, you DO NOT have to be scared about being a danger to unvaccinated people -- first of all it's my responsibility, and secondly, I don't think I could possibly be LESS worried about "COVID"!

I'm also am not at all concerned about getting covid myself (thought I already had it around Thanksgiving, it was a day of feeling tired and blah, a day of having a low-grade fever and 3 days of sneezing/coughing - much like an average cold. I chose to isolate due to both elderly, very young and a few health-compromised family members who would be present.... Also, many of my referral clients are elderly or have elderly relatives, and so I do mask up around them when meeting, even if they're vaccinated since it's pretty obvious that vaxing is a 'feel good measure' for those of us how are healthy (even if we're not as young as we once were LOL)

Old 02-23-2022, 09:01 PM

26 posts, read 82,915 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for your thoughts -- I'm actually doing exactly that this weekend. I'm going to New Hampshire for 9 days and am going to explore, meet some people, spend some time in solitude, and just generally get a feel for whether or not I can picture myself living there.

I definitely would also like to go back to Denver before I make this decision. I worry that if I go there, I'll feel such a nostalgia for what was generally a happy time in my life (a complete 180 from this NYC experience) and feel like I'm home and think "what was I thinking, why did I ever leave here?". I guess if that happens that would mean I should move back then, huh?

Either way, I really appreciate your advice. I'm trying to talk about this and pray about this. I believe the right thing will happen if I continue to do that, and follow my intuition.
I am glad some of what I said resonated and was helpful.

I know that feeling for what is in the past It happened when I left New England for CO. I then missed the small towns, quaint country stores, apple cider, country drives, the varied fall colors, my friends.... yes, lots of nostalgia and more accurately, heart-memories, just happy times for me. I joke if I move back to New England, I will miss CO, the overall lack of biting insects, the breathtaking scenery, the ranches, the lakes, the aspens at peak...

So, there is a sense for me, something gained, something lost no matter what I do. And I imagine that makes sense given my adventurous spirit and yearnings/leanings towards the new.

It sounds like you have a great plan. I need to do the same too! I wish you all the best and hope the time spent in NH is enjoyable no matter what you decide! Our hearts are good guides.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:53 AM

531 posts, read 425,439 times
Another vote for Portsmouth! It’s close to the highway (route 95), only about an hour drive to Boston (not during rush hour, of course) and there’s a fabulous downtown with great restaurants, bars, and shopping. It’s definitely my favorite city in the entire state.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:37 AM

441 posts, read 439,813 times
Op how was your visit to NH?

It's on the short list of places I want to visit. Pretty difficult right now for me but it's winter, not that I don't like snow I do but I am on the west coast and cannot fly. (immune compromised). I can barely leave my house. I do go outside and walk quite often.

I would love to live in NH or Maine and possibly Minnesota. I am in Portland, OR and I hate it here. Where I live isn't bad but downtown is disgusting and they are doing nothing. Most buildings are still boarded up. (as of a few weeks ago when we drove through downtown). There is garbage all over,. I really loved it here the scenery is good and plenty to see and do.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:11 PM

107 posts, read 198,359 times
Wondering where the OP decided...I too have been living in NYC (Brooklyn) for way too long and have made two trips to Conway/White Mtns this winter. Cannot believe how not like the coastal Northeast it is. So refreshing to not encounter traffic, big box stores, Starbucks and people who don't even look you in the eye. Strongly thinking of relocating or at least spending a summer in/around Conway. Remote worker and single. Big, vibrant NYC has its charms but for me at least, it has an expiration date.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:44 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Within 15 years, we're going to be overloaded with the same traffic, big box stores, Starbucks, and property taxes as the "coastal Northeast" due to the influx of people moving here from that area.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:21 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Within 15 years, we're going to be overloaded with the same traffic, big box stores, Starbucks, and property taxes as the "coastal Northeast" due to the influx of people moving here from that area.
North Conway/Conway area won't see much in the way of any new housing construction as it is surrounded by national forest and state forest lands in three directions. If there is going to be overflow from the area it will go south to Madison or elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire