Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 06:45 AM

9,945 posts, read 7,320,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I thought for sure the dad did it. Another argument for keeping guns out of the hands of kids that are nuts!
...or guns owned legally properly stored. I'm guessing this wasn't the kid's gun. We'll have to wait for that information during the trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 05:27 PM

12,687 posts, read 9,867,472 times
I can't forget the case of some teenagers who broke into a random house in Mont Vernon to slaughter whoever they founds inside with knives and a machete. That was back in 2009, but I'll never forget the facts of that case as long as I live. This wasn't a fight, it wasn't a robbery gone bad or a drug deal gone bad, they weren't angry at the people, they had never seen or even heard of them before - it was just an absolutely brutal butchering of two innocent people, purely for fun, by these boys. After it was done, the only thing they were sorry about was that somehow they hadn't stabbed the 11yo enough and she managed to play dead and live and help convict them.

They didn't shoot them at a distance, this was almost hand-to-hand, inflicting many, many, many grievous injuries on them by hand - the sheer savagery and the mercilessness in these boys, it's impossible for me to understand, but deeply disturbing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/four-te...murder-of-mom/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 08-29-2022 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-29-2022, 07:08 PM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,721,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I can't forget the case of some teenagers who broke into a random house in Mont Vernon to slaughter whoever they founds inside with knives and a machete. That was back in 2009, but I'll never forget the facts of that case as long as I live. This wasn't a fight, it wasn't a robbery gone bad or a drug deal gone bad, they weren't angry at the people, they had never seen or even heard of them before - it was just an absolutely brutal butchering of two innocent people, purely for fun, by these boys. After it was done, the only thing they were sorry about was that somehow they hadn't stabbed the 11yo enough and she managed to play dead and live and help convict them.

They didn't shoot them at a distance, this was almost hand-to-hand, inflicting many, many, many grievous injuries on them by hand - the sheer savagery and the mercilessness in these boys, it's impossible for me to understand, but deeply disturbing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/four-te...murder-of-mom/

The same thing happened in Hanover in 2002. Two teenage boys armed with commando knives walked up to a random professor's house, posing as students, talked their way inside, and killed the professor and his wife because they wanted some money. No remorse for the killing at the sentencing.
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/05/u...rofessors.html

Violence by unhappy, selfish teenage boys is not a gun problem. I'm going to make a wild guess that this Northfield kid would just have used a different weapon if the gun wasn't handy.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:21 AM

531 posts, read 432,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The same thing happened in Hanover in 2002. Two teenage boys armed with commando knives walked up to a random professor's house, posing as students, talked their way inside, and killed the professor and his wife because they wanted some money. No remorse for the killing at the sentencing.
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/05/u...rofessors.html

Violence by unhappy, selfish teenage boys is not a gun problem. I'm going to make a wild guess that this Northfield kid would just have used a different weapon if the gun wasn't handy.
As I was reading Outdoor Lover's comment, I immediately thought of the professor story. I can't read the article as there's a pay wall, but that crime always stuck with me. I thought I remember hearing they chose the professor's house because it was remote—perhaps even down a long driveway so they could easily get in and out without being seen by neighbors?

Serial killer Israel Keyes also chose to randomly murder a couple in the Burlington, Vermont area because they happened to live in a house with an attached garage that would provide cover. I think he watched them for a day or two and also chose them because they didn't have any dogs that would bark loudly or attack him. Really horrific stuff.

Old 09-07-2022, 12:11 PM
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
As I was reading Outdoor Lover's comment, I immediately thought of the professor story. I can't read the article as there's a pay wall, but that crime always stuck with me. I thought I remember hearing they chose the professor's house because it was remote—perhaps even down a long driveway so they could easily get in and out without being seen by neighbors?

Serial killer Israel Keyes also chose to randomly murder a couple in the Burlington, Vermont area because they happened to live in a house with an attached garage that would provide cover. I think he watched them for a day or two and also chose them because they didn't have any dogs that would bark loudly or attack him. Really horrific stuff.
They chose the professor's house because they'd failed to find anyone at home at 2 previous places and they thought this house looked expensive.

Quote:
The scheme began because the two ''were bored with Chelsea,'' Ms. Ayotte said, and began trying to find a way to go to Australia. They did research on the Internet, she said, and decided they needed $10,000 to cover their costs.

The two thought at first about stealing cars, Ms. Ayotte said, then about identity theft and credit card fraud, and in the summer of 2000 actually stole mail from some houses. But they got no money so Mr. Tulloch came up ''with the idea of jumping people and killing them'' to steal their bank cards.

They turned to Hanover because they decided that ''people in Hanover have a lot of money.'' After two failed efforts they approached the Zantops' house ''because it looked expensive,'' Ms. Ayotte said.

The teenagers had recently purchased two military-style commando knives over the Internet, which they had concealed in a backpack, and when they knocked on the Zantops' door, they unwittingly used the perfect ruse -- they pretended to be students doing an environmental survey. Half Zantop was a professor of earth sciences and took pride in welcoming students into his home. His wife, the chairman of Dartmouth's German studies department was also known for her hospitality.

Mr. Zantop answered Mr. Tulloch's questions and then looked in his wallet to find a phone number of a friend who could help the pair. It was then that Mr. Tulloch saw the wallet was full of money, and he took out one of the knives and began slicing Mr. Zantop in the face.

Mrs. Zantop heard her husband's screams and came running from the kitchen, Ms. Ayotte said. But Mr. Tulloch ordered Mr. Parker to ''slit her throat,'' which he did, while Mr. Tulloch sliced Mr. Zantop's throat.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:29 AM

531 posts, read 432,868 times
^^There are no words. Positively horrific and heartbreaking for the Zantops.

It looks like there was an episode about it on the HLN show, How It Really Happened, called The Dartmouth Murders: Evil in a Small Town.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:22 PM
KCZ

Quote:
Police logs obtained by News 9 say a Northfield father called police telling them he was concerned for his family's safety days before his wife and their two children were found dead inside their home.

Police logs show on July 22 around 7 p.m., Sean Sweeney called Northfield police about someone making strange comments around the house. Some information was withheld in the police logs, but the description of the call stated "He found a weapon in the garage and several others around the woods. [Redacted] has a past of [redacted] as well as [redacted] and Sean is worried for his toddler’s safety with weapons and [redacted].

The police log goes on to say, "I spoke to [redacted]. He was calm and sitting at the table, I spoke with him and he stated he would change his behavior." The police officer who took that call wrote in the log that he told Sean to call back at any time if he feels unsafe.
https://www.wmur.com/article/police-...91522/41236570

Old 09-15-2022, 11:07 PM

102,333 posts, read 108,561,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
gailjnh,
Thank you for sharing—I hadn’t seen this yet. Terrible. I wonder how this juvenile was connected to the family? Too bad the person who did it will be tried as a juvenile. Doesn’t that usually mean a lighter sentence?
It's hard to imagine how 3 counts of homicide could result in any kind of a lighter sentence...

I'm wondering what the motive was.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:35 AM

352 posts, read 229,175 times
Still waiting for OP to come back and apologize for throwing the grieving father/husband under the bus.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:31 AM
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's hard to imagine how 3 counts of homicide could result in any kind of a lighter sentence...

I'm wondering what the motive was.

Did you even read the rest of the thread? The murderer was the teenaged brother of the father, Sean. He had a history of schizophrenia. Given that, and the juvenile considerations already discussed, I doubt he'll be convicted of homicide. It seems likely he be sent to a psych facility. The police seem to have a lot to answer for. Did they confiscate any of the guns? Run fingerprints? ID the owner? Determine if they were owned legally?

Last edited by KCZ; 09-16-2022 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire