Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 12:15 AM

14 posts, read 90,286 times

Advertisements

I'm from Colorado and my wife and I are looking to move to New England. I've been reading a lot of posts in NH and Mass, and I've tried to answer my own questions. The questions I have are, 1. Do people from New Hampshire like the Red Sox? Because I love baseball and I love New England because it seems to me that you all love baseball too! 2nd, is it easier to make friends in New Hampshire than in Mass? I've heard that transplants from other states that move to Mass are kind of outcasts and aren't really let in to these tight knit circles.

I am kind of a shy person and it is a little harder for me to make friends, and it would be even harder to make friends if the people aren't friendly! What I can gather by reading these posts is that NH has much friendlier people than Mass. "Mass-holes" says it all I guess!

I was also wondering if it makes a difference in where you live in NH. Are people still nice down by Manchester and Nashua? Any help would be awesome!

Last edited by floresmoses; 01-11-2007 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 AM

625 posts, read 2,435,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floresmoses View Post
I'm from Colorado and my wife and I are looking to move to New England. I've been reading a lot of posts in NH and Mass, and I've tried to answer my own questions. The questions I have are, 1. Do people from New Hampshire like the Red Sox? Because I love baseball and I love New England because it seems to me that you all love baseball too! 2nd, is it easier to make friends in New Hampshire than in Mass? I've heard that transplants from other states that move to Mass are kind of outcasts and aren't really let in to these tight knit circles.

I am kind of a shy person and it is a little harder for me to make friends, and it would be even harder to make friends if the people aren't friendly! What I can gather by reading these posts is that NH has much friendlier people than Mass. "Mass-holes" says it all I guess!

I was also wondering if it makes a difference in where you live in NH. Are people still nice down by Manchester and Nashua? Any help would be awesome!
You're smack in the middle of Red Sox nation.

You're also smack in the middle of Patriot nation too--but since I'm a Bronco's fan, I take great pleasure in letting them know who is the only team to continually put the wood to the Pats (including this year).

They're fans, but they're not like Raiders fans. It's pretty good-natured for the most part.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 AM

You're a Broncos fan? That is awesome! I grew up wanting to be John Elway! For me, it doesn't get much better than the broncos, but I'm rooting for the Pats this year to win it all!

I'm glad you guys are Sox fans too, as am I. Thanks for the reply! GO BRONCOS!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:44 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
"Mass-Holes". Yesterday you told the good folks over on the Boston thread that you were moving to Boston very soon.
Why dont you mosey back on over there and give them your thoughts.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:56 AM

625 posts, read 2,435,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
"Mass-Holes". Yesterday you told the good folks over on the Boston thread that you were moving to Boston very soon.
Why dont you mosey back on over there and give them your thoughts.

Oops. Busted. That's gonna leave a mark.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:08 PM

they are the ones who call themselves "mass-holes". It seems to me that they are proud of that title. And no, I haven't decided against moving to Mass, I haven't even decided to move to NE yet. Reading some of the posts in the Mass forum leaves me wondering, though. I'm not on here to talk trash about people, and I apologize if it sounds that way, I'm just trying to get a feel for the area.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 24,578 times
I live in Merrimack,NH and our Town is considered large with 26,000 population. I am not naturally friendly but by joining local organizations like church, Town Committees, Youth associations, etc. you willl fit in well. It helps if you have a degree or two. I dont know if I write for most NH folks but quiet people seem to fit in best. For some reason I avoid the friendly greeters at Walmart. Too friendly for my taste.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:30 PM

21 posts, read 68,392 times
Southern NH has a unique feel to it it is like an annexation of mass (without the taxes) I live in Plymouth its nice up here but I wouldn't live here year round, too quiet for my liking. the town im from in NH has 31,000 and thats the smallest population of a town that I can stand. It depends on what your looking for. For example up here in northern NH banks close early (4 PM) and there isnt much in the way of culture but is very scenic with mountains and lakes. Southern NH is pretty much glorified swampland with the exception of the Monadnock region. Also if your a Red Sox fan You will be able to see every game on NESN, theres nothing better than a Red Hook and a Sox game on a nice summer evening after a good days work. As for the people I think its subjective when it comes to friendliness, I have had people be very rude and I have had perfect strangers pull over and ask if I needed help with my car when it was broken down. I hope you decide to make the move its a nice place.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 AM

36 posts, read 164,324 times
I have lived in Mass. and New Hampshire. THis was an old post so I can guess you probably moved already. Question 1 do New Hampshire people like the Red Sox. My brother Frank lives in Barnstead and he loves the Red Sox, of course he also lived previousy in MA. The people in general are Much friendlier in NH vs. MA. I live in the South now and I think people in CT and MA in general are much less open and friendly than in the South or in New Hampshire but if you are a friendly person I know you will make friends easily anywhere which is the case with me and my family.
I think MA and CT has very high paced, busy workers and even in my own case down South, I am very friendly but I am so busy I don't really have the time to socialize so it makes you seem not as friendly,.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:54 AM

22 posts, read 64,688 times
Western Ma is like a diff. state than eastern MA.

I have spent all my life in New England. CT,NH,MA.......now I am in the pioneer valley, a slower, less populated place than greater Boston......when I go to the Boston area to see my family on the south shore, I always feel like a concert just let out or something- people and cars all over.......

I think Red Sox fans are all over New England.

I like people for who they are, not from Where they came- who cares? I don't care if you're from MARS- if you laugh @ my jokes - we'll be friends.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire