Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,789 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I stumbled across this forum thanks to our good friends at Google. My wife and I are considering relocating to Southern NH from a large metropolitan area in the southeast due to a potential job transfer.

We are here this weekend scouting out neighborhoods/cities to try to see if this will be a good match for us. We looked a few listings we saved from Realtor.com, but thought that maybe we were looking in the wrong spot.

Here is what we are looking for: a suburban-esque newer neighborhood with close proxmity to shops, etc. We certainly do not want to be next door to a mall, but something that is not too far away. We have done a google search and are coming up empty.

If anyone has any suggestion, we would certainly appreciate it!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 07:58 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amike View Post
Hello all,

I stumbled across this forum thanks to our good friends at Google. My wife and I are considering relocating to Southern NH from a large metropolitan area in the southeast due to a potential job transfer.

We are here this weekend scouting out neighborhoods/cities to try to see if this will be a good match for us. We looked a few listings we saved from Realtor.com, but thought that maybe we were looking in the wrong spot.

Here is what we are looking for: a suburban-esque newer neighborhood with close proxmity to shops, etc. We certainly do not want to be next door to a mall, but something that is not too far away. We have done a google search and are coming up empty.

If anyone has any suggestion, we would certainly appreciate it!

Thank you!
Where is your job locating you to? Salem? and are you saying money is not an "object". Are you renting or purchasing? Schools? Land?

Can you give us a little bit more information so we can possibly give you a better answer than some generalizations.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:04 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
more info please! LOL

My son just moved to Milford, a small town on the west side of the merrimack river. Where is the job? Transportation is a large factor........

Old 08-10-2008, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,789 times
Thanks for the responses...

Here is some additional information. Without being too specific, the job opportunity is close to Nashua. We are looking to purchase, not buy. I wish money was no object, but we have a specific range of $400k - $600k and are seeking a minimum of 4 bedrooms. We do not have children, so schools are not a factor.

We would about 1-1.5 acres nothing too huge. We would like the suburbia feel that we currently have in our existing home with a great neighborhood/great neighbors since I travel for my work and would not be comfortable leaving my wife in an area far away from the amenities that we have back home. Also, due to my travel, I would like to be within reasonable driving distance to either Manchester or Logan. My wife currently drives about 15 miles each way to work.

I hope that clarifies what we are seeking. Again, thanks for the information.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:31 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Hi amike,

I think part of your frustration is that you may not realize that NH is designed much more on the town format than a lot of southeast. We aren't so much city/suburbs as we are smallish city (comparatively) and rural. Because of that, most of the towns are bedrooms towns that don't have many amenities - they expect you're going to drive a town or two over to go shopping or to work or to the movies... it's a normal thing here. And all the towns were set in the 1700s give or take. So.. it's a little harder to find 'new developments' especially since good towns tend to regulate how much building can go on in one previous field at one time. Not like many other states where a developer buys out a farm and suddenly pops up a ton of houses on postage stamp lawns all very quickly.

It's a shame that Valerie is dealing with computer issues. She's our resident realtor par excellence and would likely have some good suggestions for you. We've sometimes had some other agents popping, in - don't know if they're still here.

Have you looked at Salem? It might be more interesting to you.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:57 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
"We are looking to purchase, not buy. "I

???

you will find a fine choice of 4 bedrooms in the 400K to 600K range - check Merrimack, Milford, Goffstown, Weare even. You could go further south and into Amherst area. You will find homes that meet your requirements in all of these towns.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:14 PM

311 posts, read 995,356 times
Hollis is a beautiful town and minutes to Nashua and shopping...but it seems worlds away. I bet you could find something really nice, on a nice chunk of land, in the Hollis area.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:35 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amike View Post
Thanks for the responses...

Here is some additional information. Without being too specific, the job opportunity is close to Nashua. We are looking to purchase, not buy. I wish money was no object, but we have a specific range of $400k - $600k and are seeking a minimum of 4 bedrooms. We do not have children, so schools are not a factor.

We would about 1-1.5 acres nothing too huge. We would like the suburbia feel that we currently have in our existing home with a great neighborhood/great neighbors since I travel for my work and would not be comfortable leaving my wife in an area far away from the amenities that we have back home. Also, due to my travel, I would like to be within reasonable driving distance to either Manchester or Logan. My wife currently drives about 15 miles each way to work.

I hope that clarifies what we are seeking. Again, thanks for the information.
Mike- my wife and I just moved up here from Arlington, VA. Metropolitan central-southeast like you describe. We purchased in Hollis; great schools, nice homes (though pricey- you'd be fine in that range though), close to Nashua and I also travel a lot for work...generally takes an hour to Logan (not during rush hour), and 15-20 minutes to Manchester.

Properties tend to be in the 2-5 acre range but you can find wooded (read: you can choose to maintain the smaller 1-1.5 acres) and you should be able to find something very nice in your price range. Also remember that while you have no children- schools contribute heavily to resale values and generally reflect the overall area fairly well. Generally good schools means good area...so it probably should be a more important criteria than you think.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:44 PM

951 posts, read 1,654,765 times
Bedford or Londonderry. Both are close to Manchester, but offer some really nice neighborhoods. Airport is only a short drive as well.

In your price range, you can find a stunningly beautiful home. I'm sure you can spend less and find what you are looking for. Based on what I've been searching for, $350-400k would make me happy!!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Sorry that I was unable to jump in here until now, but so many of our members are very knowledgeable and offer good suggestions With a budget like that, amike, you could buy in some of the more upscale communities that southern NH has to offer. However, you do need to factor in property taxes, which may be higher than what you are used to paying...

You mention that the job location is close to Nashua, so I would suggest staying on the west side of the Merrimack River, if at all possible. With only 2 bridges in 10 miles, getting across that river to Nashua can be an issue (where is the ferry when you need one!!) I would recommend considering Bedford, Amherst & Hollis. Manchester Airport is under 30 minutes away from each of these towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire