Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:29 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Dogs are curious animals, and on the outside chance we came across a mother and cubs
Speaking from my own experiences here folks.
Having spent countless hours in the woods here in NH -hiking, taking pictures and certainly hunting, I can tell you that on several occasions I have come across our native black bear.
Black bear will turn and run, they want nothing to do with you. Even when I encountered a sow with her cubs, she will "tree" her cubs by calling out to them and then run off. The most practical action with a fire arm in regards to a black bear encounter would to fire a warning shot which would be over kill as hollering would probably do the same thing.
Shooting a bear out of season or with no hunting license would result in your fire arm being confiscated and some legal troubles to follow. If you worried about your dogs then leash them. Any of the Fish and Game guys I know would shoot your dogs if they observed them antagonizing a bear.
I'm all for carrying guns - just leave the bears alone (they don't even taste good!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 05:02 PM

497 posts, read 953,144 times
Quote:
I'm all for carrying guns - just leave the bears alone (they don't even taste good!)
Wise words, as they do taste bad.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:55 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
[/b]

Then don't own one. It really is that simple.

Thankfully our founding fathers did not take anyone's "feelings" into account when they wrote the 2nd amendment. They were more concerned with our rights.
I think this guy might be the exception to 2nd amendment rights...
Rochester Wal-Mart victim shot self by accident

It is this type of moron who gives gun owners a bad rep. Unfairly of course, because it seems unlikely in the extreme that this idiot was a concealed permit holder, and more likely a wanna-be gangbanger with a $50 pawn store special trying to intimidate or impress his "homey's".

Old 03-06-2009, 05:34 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
First, I want to thank you for your reasoned and rational posts in this thread. I hope the tone of my comments matches that of your own. I tend to avoid all discussion of guns and gun rights because people on both sides get so wound up about it that it's difficult to maintain a polite conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
I just feel it is very important for people to realize that a normal person with a gun is no more of a threat than someone without.
I think you've put your finger on a problem that some people (hand waving) would have .... how can you tell a person is "normal" by looking at them?

I live in an open carry state (Virginia), and I've done some hiking here. Maybe it's because I've stuck with northern Virginia and have not explored much of the more rural parts of the state, but in 28 years of residence here, I have never seen a firearm openly carried by anyone who was not readily identified - by uniform or other articles of clothing - as being either a member of law enforcement or, in season, a hunter.

So if, while hiking or walking my dog, I encountered someone in the woods with a gun, and that person was not obviously either a hunter or in law enforcement, by definition that would not be a "normal" occurrence for me ... that person would not be a "normal person" based on past experiences.

Frankly, I would leave just as quickly as I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
They chose to carry a firearm, others are wearing a pocket knife, others a gps- all just equipment choices and not something to be scared of.
I'd like to think I'd do a fair job of defending myself against an attack by a GPS or pocket knife, or would be able to run fast enough. But a gun, carried by someone I don't know to be a "normal person"? No thanks - life's too short as it is.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:43 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
I think this guy might be the exception to 2nd amendment rights...
Rochester Wal-Mart victim shot self by accident

It is this type of moron who gives gun owners a bad rep. Unfairly of course, because it seems unlikely in the extreme that this idiot was a concealed permit holder, and more likely a wanna-be gangbanger with a $50 pawn store special trying to intimidate or impress his "homey's".
He was illegally carrying concealed.

Nothing more than a thug.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:02 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
GreenGene-
Great response and I understand where you are coming from.

My point was based on the fact that a normal person (normal referring to vast majority) of people you encounter are not planning on engaging in a criminal activity with you. So from that perspective a normal person with a gun/knife/gps is not planning to harm you by any means. I was not referring to being able to (as an individual) distinguish between normal vs. not-normal individuals.

I would like to add though that one major factor in the majority of attacks on hikers, walkers, runners, joggers (in urban, suburban, or rural/wildnerness settings) has been suprise. Someone either sneaking up behind them or hiding in the bushes and waiting for their victim. IE- there weren't really instances of someone walking down a trail with a pistol openly at their side, approaching someone, and then drawing it...to commit a crime. Likewise when the criminal was traveling to or leaving the scene they were not openly displaying their weapon (which in the very vast majority of cases involving a firearm was not owned legally)- so they were not "witnessed" with the weapon by others in the area (ie, chances of the person you see walking down the trail with a firearm being on their way to/from a crime are also nil).

I hope that clarrifies. I think the reason its a little scary to most folks is because it is an increased perceived threat due to the fact they don't see it frequently; not because it is an actually increased real threat.

I'm also wayyy off topic now though, so I'm going to go quiet. I too am also glad this thread hasn't gotten "heated" and has remained calm. Even though I may not agree with everyone on here- there posts have helped me understand their perceptions and I hope mine have been equally as helpful.

Last edited by BF66389; 03-06-2009 at 08:19 AM..

Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Wise words, as they do taste bad.

Then you havent fixed them right.

I wouldn't carry a gun hiking because of bears, but I do carry a gun about anyplace its permitted. If he did need to put down a bear he wouldn't be eating it anyway.

The last HUMAN may have been hundreds of years ago but I'd bet domestic animals, especially nosey ones like dogs run into trouble more often. But even then a gun wont likely help, chances are the dogs will be chasing the bear until the bear decides to turn & fight. By then you'll left far behind.

the best thing would be to leash the dogs if you cant control them I think.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
First, I want to thank you for your reasoned and rational posts in this thread. I hope the tone of my comments matches that of your own. I tend to avoid all discussion of guns and gun rights because people on both sides get so wound up about it that it's difficult to maintain a polite conversation.

I think you've put your finger on a problem that some people (hand waving) would have .... how can you tell a person is "normal" by looking at them?
You cant tell if a person is normal by looking at them any more than you can judge intent by what they are carrying. But its not up to us to decide what others can & cant do, normal or not. It is up to us to provide for our own security though.

Quote:
I live in an open carry state (Virginia), and I've done some hiking here. Maybe it's because I've stuck with northern Virginia and have not explored much of the more rural parts of the state, but in 28 years of residence here, I have never seen a firearm openly carried by anyone who was not readily identified - by uniform or other articles of clothing - as being either a member of law enforcement or, in season, a hunter.
Simply because not many do it doesn't mean those that do arent normal.

Quote:
So if, while hiking or walking my dog, I encountered someone in the woods with a gun, and that person was not obviously either a hunter or in law enforcement, by definition that would not be a "normal" occurrence for me ... that person would not be a "normal person" based on past experiences.

Frankly, I would leave just as quickly as I could.
Why? Simply because its not something you see every day? Is that limited to guns or do you leave quickly every time you see something new?

Quote:
I'd like to think I'd do a fair job of defending myself against an attack by a GPS or pocket knife, or would be able to run fast enough. But a gun, carried by someone I don't know to be a "normal person"? No thanks - life's too short as it is.
A good reason to own your own gun. What we'd like to think & what is reality are two different things.

The truth is if you see someone open carrying the likelyhood of them NOT being normal is very slim. People bent on committing a crime usually use stealth. Someone comfortable enough to carry a gun for everyone to see is very unlikely to be a bad guy.

Its this stigma that needs working on. IMHO anyway.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Why? Simply because its not something you see every day? Is that limited to guns or do you leave quickly every time you see something new?
I would leave based solely on the presence of a gun. Having absolutely no way of telling what that person's background, training, and intent are with regard to the gun, all I can base my decision on is the presence of the gun and the knowledge of how quickly one can kill with a gun.

Quote:
What we'd like to think & what is reality are two different things.
I agree.

Quote:
The truth is if you see someone open carrying the likelihood of them NOT being normal is very slim.
I don't doubt that this is something that you genuinely believe, and you could be absolutely correct. All I'm saying is that it is not normal for me to see a person with a gun; that if I do, it falls outside of what I think is "normal"; that I have no clue why the person has a gun or what the person may do with the gun; and that I will simply remove myself from the situation.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:52 PM

497 posts, read 953,144 times
Quote:
Then you havent fixed them right.

I wouldn't carry a gun hiking because of bears, but I do carry a gun about anyplace its permitted. If he did need to put down a bear he wouldn't be eating it anyway....

the best thing would be to leash the dogs if you cant control them I think.
Agree completely. no harm done with a leash or check cord.

The bear I've had was actually seasoned bear burgers...
Fatty beyond yuck, and very, very, gamey

I'll stick to Small game myself, and upland as a preference

Hmmmmmmmmm......perhaps pheasant for dinner????!!!!!!!????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire