Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 42,280 times

Advertisements

Hi , we have three kids and are moving from WA state. My husband's new office will be in Marlborough. From the research we have done on line it looks like housing in NH is much more affordable than in MA. (we'd like a goodsize, 4 bedroom, newer home for under $600,000 -preferably under $550,00!) Also, it looks like most of the heating sources in NH are natural gas -a big plus to me (I'm really not fond of the oil heating idea) HOwever I am wondering:

. WOuld you choose MA or NH?
What would the commute be like from Marlborough?
Where in NH would you choose if commuting from Marlborough?Perhaps Nashua?
- HOw do the schools rate?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
That's a longer commute. Hollis, NH to Bedford, MA takes 45 minutes on average. That said 495 in that direction should be fairly fast moving since its away from the city. I would suggest driving it a few days before buying.

Hollis is going to have the shortest commute to Marlborough and have the best schools...then Amherst...(further north & commute is more "where in Amherst" specific) but both have good schools. You will be able to get a nice home for under 550k in either town.

Backroads from Brookline may also be an option (shares middle/high schools with Hollis) but I'm not too familiar with the drive...Brookline (since its further from Boston & Nashua) is cheaper than Hollis but again has the same great schools and is a very nice town.

I would definately try it first either way...a few days...during rush-hour. It may be longer than he wants to drive.

Be aware as well that the political attitudes between MA and NH are very different. MA is considered very "liberal" and has a strong state government that provides many services (at a cost) and imposes many restrictions on residents (you can't own X gun...you have to wear your motorcycle helmet, etc). In contrast NH is considered more "conservative" (I would say constitutionalist to avoid confusion with neo-conservatives) where the state government is fairly week, most services are provided by towns or hired to private companies...and there are few restrictions on residents (don't want to wear a helmet? Fine...but thats your head; likewise- want to own a gun? Fine...but you better not commit a crime/do something stupid with it)

Old 04-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Oh...and as for Oil Heating; it's actually a lot safer than gas (oil doesn't explode or ignite readily, several homes with gas heat blow up each winter for whatever reason) and with an efficient furnace its cheaper (more energy per unit of oil)...but it does burn dirtier. For these reaons some folks actually are upgrading to geothermal heat pumps. Expensive; but there is a 30% tax credit and they pay themselves off in around 10 years because they are very energy efficient; likewise many lenders offer "energy efficient mortgages" where you can finance it as part of the home (and the cost savings offset the higher payment).

Oil heating was new to me too (used to gas or air-source heat pumps)...its actually not that big a deal. But I would MUCH prefer geothermal...just can't afford the conversion at the moment (but in your price range you could get a nice home & do it).

Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
Check Brookline which is just over the border from MA. They share schools with Hollis from 7th grade onward. To commute, you can go down Rt 13 to Fitchburg and then take Rt 2 to 495.

As for heat, we have propane. It is like natural gas, but it is delivered by a truck to a 500 gal tank buried in the backyard. We had oil before and propane is cleaner. We also have propane for the hot water, dryer, and stove. Electricity costs are high in NH.

NH is a great place to raise a family. Most of my friends in MA (that can afford to do so) send their kids to private schools from 7th or 9th grade onward. If you decide to look in MA, make sure you avoid the Mass Pike. The tolls are high and will go higher with Deval Patrick. Westford is a nice town, as are Sudbury and Harvard...

Old 04-24-2009, 04:14 PM

9 posts, read 42,280 times
THank you both for the information. i think I like the idea of NH better - but it'll depend on the commute!

Old 04-25-2009, 06:57 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,661 times
The drive from the Bedford, MA area to Hollis is doable but you will add another 20 minutes (or longer in winter weather) onto the commute to Brookline. Dh commutes to/from Lexington, MA and refused to look at Brookline because of the extra commute time.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:55 AM

Lisa- they are commuting to Marlborough...so even a further hike. Brookline *may* be an option due to back roads though...whereas Hollis may be further (on those same back roads).

Old 04-25-2009, 08:56 PM

161 posts, read 645,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
That's a longer commute. Hollis, NH to Bedford, MA takes 45 minutes on average. That said 495 in that direction should be fairly fast moving since its away from the city. I would suggest driving it a few days before buying.

Hollis is going to have the shortest commute to Marlborough and have the best schools...then Amherst...(further north & commute is more "where in Amherst" specific) but both have good schools. You will be able to get a nice home for under 550k in either town.

Backroads from Brookline may also be an option (shares middle/high schools with Hollis) but I'm not too familiar with the drive...Brookline (since its further from Boston & Nashua) is cheaper than Hollis but again has the same great schools and is a very nice town.

I would definately try it first either way...a few days...during rush-hour. It may be longer than he wants to drive.

Be aware as well that the political attitudes between MA and NH are very different. MA is considered very "liberal" and has a strong state government that provides many services (at a cost) and imposes many restrictions on residents (you can't own X gun...you have to wear your motorcycle helmet, etc). In contrast NH is considered more "conservative" (I would say constitutionalist to avoid confusion with neo-conservatives) where the state government is fairly week, most services are provided by towns or hired to private companies...and there are few restrictions on residents (don't want to wear a helmet? Fine...but thats your head; likewise- want to own a gun? Fine...but you better not commit a crime/do something stupid with it)
The property taxes in Brookline may make it more expensive.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingover View Post
The property taxes in Brookline may make it more expensive.
Nah...house values are a lot lower since it's further from 3. Not to mention even with property taxes- NH still has a lower tax burden than MA by a large margin; that doesn't even take into account that auto & home insurance is almost 50% less in NH.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:28 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times
We had the same problem and we picked NH. The land, slower pace and the silence are great rewards for a hards days work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire