Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:43 PM

161 posts, read 645,641 times

Advertisements

Just curious, houses seem a bit less expensive. Is the elementary school as good as it is in Exeter/Stratham? Our realtor didn't seem to think it was a bad place, but noted that nobody has ever asked to be shown homes there. Is it simply because the town is smaller than the other two better known towns, and eventually it will be better known and more desirable? Is there any downside to buying one of the nicer homes in Brentwood, in terms of it not being as desirable when it comes time to sell, and buyers are more interested in Exeter/Stratham?

Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 04:13 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,890 times
the only difference, IMO, is the Rockingham County Jail is located in Brentwood.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
the only difference, IMO, is the Rockingham County Jail is located in Brentwood.
Ahhh. I get it now. That explains the cryptic message on the Brentwood town webpage, where they say that they are home to some of the county's special "services".

Interesting. I have to imagine that will hurt and has hurt resale to some degree.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:07 PM

371 posts, read 1,162,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingover View Post
Interesting. I have to imagine that will hurt and has hurt resale to some degree.
Doubtful. Prices are cheaper in Brentwood mainly because it is farther west, doesn't have the history/prestige of Exeter, doesn't have as many high-priced neighborhoods as Stratham, is more rural, and is farther from shopping, restaurants, etc.

The benefit is that students there go to the same Middle and High School as Exeter/Stratham. Unless you are hooked on having a Exeter or Stratham mailing address, you might want to consider Brentwood as you can get more for your money, there are some very nice homes and quiet picturesque roads -- look at Pickpocket Rd. for example.

Also, East Kingston and Kensington are also less expensive than Exeter/Statham - same school district. They are located south of Exeter.
Newfields rounds out the SAU 16 towns. It's wedged between Exeter and Stratham, rural, yet not cheap

Old 05-15-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
Doubtful. Prices are cheaper in Brentwood mainly because it is farther west, doesn't have the history/prestige of Exeter, doesn't have as many high-priced neighborhoods as Stratham, is more rural, and is farther from shopping, restaurants, etc.

The benefit is that students there go to the same Middle and High School as Exeter/Stratham. Unless you are hooked on having a Exeter or Stratham mailing address, you might want to consider Brentwood as you can get more for your money, there are some very nice homes and quiet picturesque roads -- look at Pickpocket Rd. for example.

Also, East Kingston and Kensington are also less expensive than Exeter/Statham - same school district. They are located south of Exeter.
Newfields rounds out the SAU 16 towns. It's wedged between Exeter and Stratham, rural, yet not cheap
If it doesn't have any many high priced neighborhoods as Stratham, then wouldn't that mean that buying the higher end houses there are probably not as good an investment?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:

And so you feel the prison is not a detractor? I mean it was mentioned above by another commenter as the *only* distinction he/she could think of.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
If it doesn't have any many high priced neighborhoods as Stratham, then wouldn't that mean that buying the higher end houses there are probably not as good an investment?
Not necessarily, It's tough to predict in the market we are in now, but in a "regular" growing market more and more people were moving to towns like Brentwood, because it offered such savings over their overpriced neighbors - over time that makes them more and more desirable.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
And so you feel the prison is not a detractor? I mean it was mentioned above by another commenter as the *only* distinction he/she could think of.
That person obviously doesn't live in the area. Besides the three towns being in the same geographic radius, the populations, amenities, services, etc are quite different. Just see for yourself

Old 05-16-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
That person obviously doesn't live in the area. Besides the three towns being in the same geographic radius, the populations, amenities, services, etc are quite different. Just see for yourself
I can't see for myself, that's why I'm asking here. Can you expound on the differences? Are the people different? Do they interact much with the people in Exter/Stratham? What ammeneties/services are different? I get the feeling Brentwood is a bit more Republican than Exeter, is that what you're getting at?

Old 05-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I can't see for myself, that's why I'm asking here. Can you expound on the differences? Are the people different? Do they interact much with the people in Exter/Stratham? What ammeneties/services are different? I get the feeling Brentwood is a bit more Republican than Exeter, is that what you're getting at?
I'm not sure what you are trying to figure out. But if you are thinking of moving to this area you should visit. These towns all border one another, so seeing what each is like is very easy.

As far as differences, they've already been stated.

Brentwood is the farthest west (ie farther from the coast), it is more rural, less populated, less commercial development, and lower real estate pricing. Also, many of the county government stuff is located there courthouse, jail, etc.

Exeter is an old historic town, it has a small but quaint downtown with a bandstand, Exeter Academy is there. There are various types of neighborhoods - in-town, cul de sac, rural. The Exeter river runs through the center of town. Route 101 (main east/west NH route) runs through town, Also 108 is commercial with grocery stores, restaurants, car dealerships etc. Population is the largest of the three, historic capital of NH

Stratham is more of an old farming community that has developed into a nice residential town, lots of nice neighborhoods, but no downtown. Route 108 which runs through both Stratham and Exeter is the commercial zone.

These are not super large towns so the distance to and around each is a matter of a few miles.

As far as politics Exeter is the most Lib.

Most people who are looking for a home in this area probably search both Exeter and Stratham, if they are looking to stretch their dollar they probably include Brentwood and a couple others as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire