Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:36 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times

Advertisements

I'd take route 40 to 81 to 84 to 90...then up.

You will be going through some HOT areas; make sure your car is adequately prepared. I suggest carrying extra oil & pre-mixed coolant on any long trips like that.

Also remember that if you overheat- don't dump COLD water into hot radiator; let it cool- then add warm-ish coolant (room temp is fine, just not cold).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 04:00 AM

497 posts, read 952,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-faf View Post
Well, I can't help you out west but the main consideration is avoiding the big cities in the NE, especially Washington and NYC. This route I'll give you also saves lots of tolls. It's all interstate highway:

Get to I-40 East through Tennessee
Take I-81 all the way to Scranton, PA
Take I-84 through Hartford into MA
Take I-90, Mass Pike to I-290, go through Worcester, MA
Take I-495N toward Lowell, MA
Take US Rte. 3 North to Nashua

HTH
Mark

I use this route to go from NJ to NH....surely not scenic, but it'll get U there directly

Old 08-25-2009, 04:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Next time I drive to California and return (likelihood of near zero) I would return by interstates 10E to 15N to 70E to 76E to 80E to 81N to 90E to 495N to 3N. Might as well see some scenery on the way. Chicago land area will be a major choke point.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:04 AM

18 posts, read 39,495 times
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to write down the suggested routes, look at the map and pick what looks like the best for us. We will definitely time our driving to avoid rush hour in and around major cities. Will post once we are in Nasua....meanwhile back to packing. BF thanks for the oil and coolant advise. The car is in the shop today for an overall check up.......

Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitting the road View Post
The car is in the shop today for an overall check up.......
Smart, so many breakdowns are caused by what would have been easy fixes...

Old 08-25-2009, 12:54 PM

531 posts, read 1,982,249 times
As one who just finished driving to/from NH, be sure to apply sunscreen to the left side of your face, your left arm and your left thigh. Do this anytime you'll be driving north in the afternoon. Saves a painful (and odd-looking) sunburn! A friend's dermatologist told him that he sees many skin cancers on the left cheek--from driving.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:00 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
As one who just finished driving to/from NH, be sure to apply sunscreen to the left side of your face, your left arm and your left thigh. Do this anytime you'll be driving north in the afternoon. Saves a painful (and odd-looking) sunburn! A friend's dermatologist told him that he sees many skin cancers on the left cheek--from driving.
Doesn't this only apply if you drive with the window down? I believe the glass has a UV coating on it that would filter out the damaging rays?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Doesn't this only apply if you drive with the window down? I believe the glass has a UV coating on it that would filter out the damaging rays?
That's what I used to think too. Not true. At least, the glass on MY vehicle obviously has no coating on it--I've been burned a number of times before I wised up and put the sunscreen bottle right in the cupholder where I could "grab and slather" anytime.

It's possible that higher-end vehicles might come with UV coating on the glass. I wouldn't know about that!

It's also possible to buy films to apply to the glass after-market, but that's a topic for another forum...
http://www.skincancer.org/uv-film.html

Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 AM

18 posts, read 39,495 times
Ladies and Gentlemen........my 6 siblings and I were raised in Massachusetts...and we have had 8 melanomas between us....fortunately, all to date, in situ. The result of many wonderful summers at Dennisport...in the 50's and 60's with no sun protection......sunscreen protection for us now is never a conditional option.......it's always a given. I'm so pleased to see the emphasis on it now.......and once again...thanks for the suggested routes.....we head out tomorrow.....so positive.....so hopeful...and so ready to be a New Englander again!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
One technique for planning a trip is to get a big road map and draw a straight line from start to finish. Then plan your route to stay as close to the line as you can with due consideration to the type of road and time available. This can be really interesting on a state level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire