Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,697,470 times

Advertisements

I'm currently not a NH resident, but to those who do reside in NH, whats your opinion on this?

Please read!

Group Asks Court to Reconsider Removing Girl from Home School - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM

20 posts, read 42,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I'm currently not a NH resident, but to those who do reside in NH, whats your opinion on this?

Please read!

Group Asks Court to Reconsider Removing Girl from Home School - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Homeschooling is alive and well in New Hampshire. Homeschool laws in NH are not that overbearing and homeschooling is socially accepted.

This court case is a result of a bitter divorce and custody battle. That is the primary reason that it actually made to a court room. Other than that, it is not an afront to homeschooling or an attack on the achievements of homeschoolers. HSLDA | Washington Times Op-ed—Outstanding Results on National Tests

Old 09-02-2009, 04:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I am very glad that I was NOT home schooled. I woul;d hae recieved a really warped education and been even less socialized than I turned out.

I suppose it would work if the parents were well educated, sane and sober. Not all that many pass those tests these days. I can hear it now, "Jonny, the world was created in six, or was it seven, days and will end in a Great Rapture in 2012."

Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 AM

369 posts, read 964,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am very glad that I was NOT home schooled. I woul;d hae recieved a really warped education and been even less socialized than I turned out.

I suppose it would work if the parents were well educated, sane and sober. Not all that many pass those tests these days. I can hear it now, "Jonny, the world was created in six, or was it seven, days and will end in a Great Rapture in 2012."

I'm surprised anyone could think that little of thier parents, even for a hard line democrat who will only recite official party doctrine on may subjects, that's really harsh.

Obviously, some folks cannot understand freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion.

There's more to an education than what any state can provide, and socialization takes place within the community at large, not just under the watchful eye of the government.

This young lady may be getting her education "sitting in the corner of her mother's bedroom, where she receives her lessons on a computer" but considering the volume of study materials available I'm sure her education will be as good as and possibly quite better than one received sitting at the knee of the state.

Learning opportunities abound in everyday life. When I take my son fishing there are lessons in ecology and conservation. When we go to the range he learns the responsible use of firearms and ballistics. That is physics for you sheep out there. Hunting is great for teaching ethics. Food shopping = a class on nutrition, we have him read the labels on items he wants so he can make informed decisions.

Socialization and interpersonal skills come through church groups, Boy Scouts and community projects. By the way, the above are also a wonderful media for teaching civics.

It really is sad to think so little of one's parents.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:40 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
I have to say that all home schooled kids I have met are pretty amazing! I am so impressed with their social skills. They far exceed many of the kids I see in public schools. I think if the parents are commited it could be a great option

Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
I know at least 3 families in New Hampshire who have chosen to home school, and their children are very well-adjusted, and mature beyond their years. There are minimum state guidelines which must be met, and from what I understand, many home-schooled students are far above where their public-school counterparts are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
I'm surprised anyone could think that little of thier parents, even for a hard line democrat who will only recite official party doctrine on may subjects, that's really harsh.
It's easy to jab at Greg since his political views are unpopular among many of the regulars, but if I recall correctly, Greg has mentioned here on more than one occasion that his younger years were filled not with the nurturing and caring, boy scouts and fishing trips, but rather, alcoholic parents who wouldn't or couldn't do these things that so many of us take for granted... Just this once, let's give him a break (but I'll be happy to trade political barbs with him later on though )

Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I know at least 3 families in New Hampshire who have chosen to home school, and their children are very well-adjusted, and mature beyond their years. There are minimum state guidelines which must be met, and from what I understand, many home-schooled students are far above where their public-school counterparts are...

It's easy to jab at Greg since his political views are unpopular among many of the regulars, but if I recall correctly, Greg has mentioned here on more than one occasion that his younger years were filled not with the nurturing and caring, boy scouts and fishing trips, but rather, alcoholic parents who wouldn't or couldn't do these things that so many of us take for granted... Just this once, let's give him a break (but I'll be happy to trade political barbs with him later on though )
Sure, sorry Greg for being so mean, but, just because home schooling wasn't for you doesn't mean it isn't for anybody else.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:02 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I have to say that all home schooled kids I have met are pretty amazing! I am so impressed with their social skills. They far exceed many of the kids I see in public schools. I think if the parents are commited it could be a great option
I cannot stress that enough. I've run across homeschooled children who were homeschooled only because their parents didn't support the system. Oh sure the parents considered the academic and the kids were "book smart" but the parents did not make the extra commitment to making sure the child interacted with their peers on a regular basis (play, work, sports, clubs, etc)...and that was a big problem.

The same can be said for public schools (and private), the schools job is to provide educational opportunities to your child. It is the parents job to ensure those opportunities are utilized to their fullest & expand upon them.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:53 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
I'm surprised anyone could think that little of thier parents,
how do you know they aren't deserving of it? Not everyone is cut out to be a parent, and some do a darn lousy job of it.

Quote:
Obviously, some folks cannot understand freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion.
uh, 'scuse me: yes it does.If you have the freedom to choose your religion, then that includes the right to choose 'none of the above' and not have a religion. That is a basic right in this country. not a privilege, a right. It also means that I have the right to not have your religion forced upon me if I choose a different one - and vice versa.

I dunno. I've seen various home schooled families at events like the Sheep & Wool Festival and re-enactor events. These families kinda creep me out: they all walk closely together and are dressed in the manner of the von Trapp family from the Sound of Music! Not necessarily in old curtains, but all obviously home made off the same bolt of denim or whathaveyou - scary, when you see a family of 6 dressed like that! Very reminiscent of those families out in Utah. They didn't seem well socialized either.
Sure, these families are an extreme, but it still creeps me out and shows one argument against it. But... it is their right. I just hate the sort of things they're teaching their girls (having known a girl who grew up homeschooled in a family who believed that girls should have no life outside the family and should never live on their own but rather go straight from Daddy to Hubby <shudder>).

Old 09-02-2009, 04:50 PM

20 posts, read 42,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
how do you know they aren't deserving of it? Not everyone is cut out to be a parent, and some do a darn lousy job of it.

uh, 'scuse me: yes it does.If you have the freedom to choose your religion, then that includes the right to choose 'none of the above' and not have a religion. That is a basic right in this country. not a privilege, a right. It also means that I have the right to not have your religion forced upon me if I choose a different one - and vice versa.

I dunno. I've seen various home schooled families at events like the Sheep & Wool Festival and re-enactor events. These families kinda creep me out: they all walk closely together and are dressed in the manner of the von Trapp family from the Sound of Music! Not necessarily in old curtains, but all obviously home made off the same bolt of denim or whathaveyou - scary, when you see a family of 6 dressed like that! Very reminiscent of those families out in Utah. They didn't seem well socialized either.
Sure, these families are an extreme, but it still creeps me out and shows one argument against it. But... it is their right. I just hate the sort of things they're teaching their girls (having known a girl who grew up homeschooled in a family who believed that girls should have no life outside the family and should never live on their own but rather go straight from Daddy to Hubby <shudder>).
I would much rather my kids go to public/private school and learn to shun their families and be closer to friends whom do not have their best interest at heart......oh yeah...I like the goth look and the young girls dressing like whores....because that is what society says is "cool."

Take a good look around....kids today are lacking morals and parents are afraid to be parents. They would much rather their kids look and act like Brittney Spears (booze and cigarettes) or like Miley Cyrus, an under age girl who performs erotic pole dances in her music videos, all with dad's blessing......because she is an "artist."

I am sorry that conservative families "creep" you out. I too, would much rather see the 500 pound ma and pa at the fair chompin' down on the turkey leg and elephant ear.......as little Sally is smoking with her friends and little Billy is guzzlin' beer after beer with his buds. I guess this is good socialization......hopefully one of them will have a child out of wedlock.....because that is "cool" as well.......

Sure, these families are an extreme, but it still creeps me out and shows one argument against it. But... it is their right. (sound familiar)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire