Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 AM

407 posts, read 1,558,930 times

Advertisements

No, I never found out why the LOMA was only good for the life of the loan. Interestingly, enough, I am in the process of refinancing through my same lender (3 years after my original refi and down 1.5 points (2.95%) to a 10-year loan), and the lender accepted my LOMA on record - no flood insurance required. Just for grins, I did file the LOMA with the county clerk's office as a document on file for my property - so if I should decide to sell, it will let any prospective buyers know that they can avoid flood insurance even though it is waterfront property. I'm thinking it's just fine print that no one would really notice... I hope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
After that rain last August I guess it was i bet a lot of folks got news but a tad late living with in a flood zone.

If you don't HAVE to hire experts many GPS's will show you your elevation. (I bet that won't fly unless the expert reads the gps)

Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,558 times
Snafu,

Thanks for your reply.

After further research, I think the words "Life of the Loan" have a special meaning in the context of lenders checking whether a property is in a flood zone. Specifically, it appears that, when they hire a company (like "Corelogic", for example) to make a flood determination, they are hiring that company to make that check on an ongoing basis for the "life of the loan." I think maybe your LOMA is stating, using the same wording, that you are no longer in Zone A every time they subsequently perform that check.

Jeff

Old 08-08-2012, 06:12 AM

3 posts, read 6,558 times
Mac_Muz,

Yeah... I think you're right that FEMA won't accept GPS readings from homeowners. Even for my own benefit, I tried to use a hand-held GPS to determine elevation and found that it is very inconsistent (i.e., checking the same position multiple times yielded wildly varying elevations.) I've since learned that consumer GPS's are generally pretty poor at measuring elevation. They might be correct +/- 100 feet or so, but nothing good enough for real surveying. I think there are pricey GPS devices designed for surveying that are way better.

In my case, I ended up purchasing an auto-level from ebay... Old fashioned surveying technology, but it works and is very precise. I did this a while before my FEMA fiasco started, mostly to help with grading our acres for irrigation. My 9-year-old son is quite an expert at holding the staff while I look through the sight, but I think he's pretty tired of hours spent doing that.

Jeff

Old 10-31-2013, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,067 times
My flood insurance premium just went up 10 fold. From under $400 a year to almost $4,000 a year. Using the same FEMA map dated 1988 that has always been used by my lender and insurance agency a company: CoreLogic in Austin , Texas did a new overlay on that map and it put a lot of properties into the Zone A classification. When I wrote to CoreLogic and requested information as to what they based their findings on -I never received a reply. The small print on their map overlay states that it is an approximation for illustrative purposes only and may contain inherent margins of error. AND this is what caused my insurance premium to skyrocket. Gee- Do you think that FEMA and the insurance companies might be trying to recoup some of the money they spent on actual disasters?

Old 10-31-2013, 07:55 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,031 times
Mine just went down....$1500 to $500 per year. I got a new survey done. Cost. Few hundred bucks but it was worth it. I'm in seabrook beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire