Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,736 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I moved to Exeter, New Hampshire from Califormia, bought an upscale condo right near Phillips Exeter Academy. It's the perfect New England small town, complete with a band stand in the center of town. The autumns are glorious. The train goes to Boston in about an hour, and the kids have great schools. I loved the fitness center attached to the hospital. You are only a short distance to the ocean too!

Now love has me moving again.
Exeter mom

Last edited by 2KidsforMe; 09-29-2007 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: you can place one free add in classified forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 12:27 PM

42 posts, read 161,305 times
I will take your suggestions and be a lot more careful the next time I write something on a whim. I have spoken with the coaches and so has my son. They say, that's just the way it is when you're new. Maybe next year he'll play more.

Congratulations on your son's boxing---It's a great sport!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:05 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Guys, next time you feel like hijacking a topic and making it apersonal discussion, think about using DMs instead, ok ?
Yac.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:56 AM

124 posts, read 734,270 times
I made the move from SoCal to Portsmouth, and I'm very happy I did it. I now realize how genuine people are when you remove them from the shallowness of Southern California. My mind just feels so much more healthy. I feel more soulful, but not in a hippy-way. As far as safety, there's no gangs here, and probably never will be any. This place is so family friendly, it's great.

NH manifests better ideas than SoCal. I.E. being real, working hard, not flashing your posessions, and emphasis on education.

Lastly, I'm very happy to say that I never see any illegals aliens up here. Which was a big personal issue for me in CA. Hopefully, since it's so far from Mexico, we won't get any.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:06 AM

124 posts, read 734,270 times
One more comment: the shallowness and materialism in CA is cold. The concrete walls, stucco, and brown hills aren't relaxing. They're beautiful and showy.

I find the rain, wood, charm, the elements to be very soothing. When I lived in SoCal, I would often remark on how people who lived like this were very depressed. But I find it to be the opposite, I feel much more relaxed, and can think more about my productivity and less about what other's are thinking about my image.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
I'm in the same boat--moving from So.Cal(Santa Clarita)to either N. Mass or S. NH. also with kids(2). We lived in S. NH 10 yrs ago before moving west, and even though things have changed over time I'm pretty certain the quality of life will be tremendously better there. I'm currently leaning toward Hollis, NH because of schools. I'd be happy to correspond with you via personal email if you prefer. Although we're hopeful, it's still a BIG move to make with kids. We're hoping public school there will be similar to our excellent private school here.
Hey Lisa, I live in Santa Clarita!! My family and I are planning a move to Keene in Jan/Feb. We are going out in late Nov early Dec to look for homes and check out the towns. Good luck on your move.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:24 PM

371 posts, read 1,823,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investtt View Post
One more comment: the shallowness and materialism in CA is cold. The concrete walls, stucco, and brown hills aren't relaxing. They're beautiful and showy.

I find the rain, wood, charm, the elements to be very soothing. When I lived in SoCal, I would often remark on how people who lived like this were very depressed. But I find it to be the opposite, I feel much more relaxed, and can think more about my productivity and less about what other's are thinking about my image.
Your comment really spoke to me... More and more my wife and I are wanted to move from Central/Southern California. When you start thinking in terms of "escaping" rather than just "moving," you know your heart is trying to tell you something.

I always detested the materialism of Southern California - not to mention the rapid population growth, constantly changing urban patters, exorbitant cost of housing (550k in SLO), and extremely boring weather. When i hear we might get some rain I get excited and people think I'm crazy. I see people running in the streets because they're afraid of a few sprinkles, literally. It would be comical if it weren't so pathetic. I know we're all here because in many ways we're dissatisfied with our current conditions and I don't want to sound too negative. SLO has a great quality of life and a lot of people would kill to be able to live here. But it just aint for me. I've got to get out of here, and soon.

My wife and I will be travelling out to Chattanooga to visit family, then driving up to the NEK to check things out. We may drive up to Burlington, but I'd really like to drive over to NH, maybe to the coast.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I suggest taking the State and old federal roads in New England. Rt 9 across Vermont and Rt 101 across southern New Hampshire are gems. The slower roads will let you experience the the countryside more effectivly.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:20 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Um, Greg, they posted almost 5 years ago. I suspect they finished their vacation awhile ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire