Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:20 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,498 times

Advertisements

There is a very good article in this week's Littleton Courier about New Hampshire's role in the presidential primary. I can't post a direct link because the article is restricted to paid subscribers, but the main website is www.courier-littletonnh.com.

Here is one interesting quote from Secretary of State Bill Gardner:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretary of State Bill Gardner
The New Hampshire primary is an open, inclusive process. Anyone can get on the ballot if they accumulate the needed signatures. If the candidate cannot afford the $1000 fee, the state Legislature will pay. The primary tests all candidates. It winnows the field. It keeps the American dream alive. It is special to our nation. It tests the power of character and ideas. A man like Jimmy Carter can come to the state as an unknown and become a national figure. Candidates do not feel intimidated in small surroundings. They know New Hampshire will give them a fair shake. Candidates enjoy the voter participation and interaction and being close to the people. This is why the New Hampshire Primary is so important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 12:22 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,608 times
Don't just think it's up in your little town of Littleton; it's all over the state. Even on the seacoast. The candidates are all hoping for recognition and they want all our votes. New Hampshire & Iowa are trends for the rest of the country.

I have to tell you? We met Hilary Clinton a few weeks ago and she was
GREAT! What an awesome Forum for her at the school's gym.

We also bumped in to a few others along the way here just in the past few weeks. St. Anselm's College in Goffstown had the Democratics Debate the other night and it was GREAT as well. We couldn't get tickets and we even have a family member going to school there and we STILL couldn't get in to see this thing. SO it's not who you know for these affairs and events in the state!

I haven't made up my mind yet on who I'm voting for. This dropping in to the State of New Hampshire by all these "hopefuls" will definitely be helping me make my decision over time.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:40 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,178,551 times
Hi JMX and CityGirl - I knew the candidates were all over the state, I was just suprised that so many of them come through this "small town" I think it's great that they do and I like the opportunity to at least see them in person as opposed to on television, even if I don't get to meet them.....I lived in a more "heavily populated" area before moving to Littleton and we never had anyone come through town on a national level - I guess I just figured we were too "small" ... definitely a nice surprise for us! Hope this makes sense........

Old 06-10-2007, 08:52 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
I will be the first to admit I am not well versed in politics - never have been and probably never will be! That being said.......We live in Littleton and have had numerous candidates come through town. When we lived in NYS, we lived in a much more populated area and never had any candidate come through town (other than maybe someone running for governor). The population in Littleton is much less, yet it seems almost every week someone is making a stop here in town.

I guess the question is, why do so many come through here? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of them stopping in the smaller towns/areas and giving the people a chance to see them and "read" their body language, etc., in person, but I just don't understand why

Their party affiliation doesn't seem to matter, we've had both Rep. and Dem. come through. I also haven't seen a lot of "advanced notice" about them being in town, either. As an example, Sunday night, I caught a "blurb" on the TV news that Barack Obama would be in Littleton, but didn't catch what time. I hadn't seen anything in the weekly paper or the Caledonian (although I may have missed it). Yesterday morning, we were out early and sure enough, in the middle of town around 8:30 there he was. The same thing happened when John McCain was in town. Again, I may have missed some kind of "advanced notice", I don't always read the papers all the way through, or watch all of the news.

I guess I just have a hard time "wrapping my mind" around why they stop here. Can anyone shed some light on this?
NH is the first state to hold its primary. That is why candiates ALWAYS go to NH ...I dont see that as ever changing...At least you can be infromed(if that is what we can believe when they (the politicians speak)
Take Care
Lisa

Old 06-11-2007, 04:39 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,178,551 times
Hi Lisa - One of the things I like about being up here is the chance to see the candidates "up close" and get the chance to "read them" which makes it easier to tell if they are just regurgitating what they think people want to hear or if they believe what they are saying and mean what they say. I was just very surprised at the number that come through a small town - not used to that at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire