Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

How is Manchester...is it walkable and pedestrian-friendly? Or is it one of those cities that you really must have a car to do most anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM

371 posts, read 1,161,638 times
You can walk the downtown stretch (Elm Street), but there's really nothing worth seeing or doing there.

I would not consider manchester a walking city (especially if you live there). To do any type of shopping you need a car.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM

25 posts, read 119,574 times
Manchester was largely built "before the car", so it is very walkable. Many neighborhoods have grocery stores (either small ones which are called superettes, or large supermarkets), as well as other small businesses. For example, there is a grocery store, a barber shop, an awesome Italian bakery-cheese-and-wine place, a farm market, and a bank branch just off Webster St. There are sidewalks practically everywhere, and a number of good parks.

On the other hand, most good restaurants and cafes are downtown, and it's quite a walk from most areas - the city is spread out. Also, all big box stores are outside of the city center.

Here is a somewhat typical address in Manchester:
Walk Score - 100 Mirror St.

So I think you do need a car to live well in Manchester, but you do not have to use it all the time.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,590 times
I agree, when we visit friends of our in Manchester if they need something we can easily walk to the store to pick it up; etc. But it isn't a large city with a big public transportation system (Boston, DC, NYC, etc)...so you really need a car to explore different areas. Obviously a lot also depends on what part of the city/where your job is.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:51 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,074 times
From what I understand, Manchester developed with trolley cars to take the mill workers back and forth to work. Dense multi family housing and old mill housing can be found.
Like most towns and cities, the closer you are to Town Hall, the more pedestrian friendly it gets. However the supermarkets and chain stores are away from that section.
Manchester does have a city bus service that I understand is pretty good.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,910 times
Except for the Super Stop and Shop between Lincoln and Wilson Streets, at Valley Street... Also in walking distance are a couple of banks, pizza places, Chinese food, Indian food, etc. As noted, the majority of supermarkets (Shaws, etc) and chain stores are down (up?) on South Willow, along with the Mall of New Hampshire..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
However the supermarkets and chain stores are away from that section.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 AM

371 posts, read 1,161,638 times
Tiger -- Best to see for yourself, but if you are looking for a "nice" walkable place to live forget Manchester. Those that live here without cars are in the slums.

This isn't NYC. This is Manchester, NH, the small, but urban center of a majority rural/suburban state.

The city has done a miserable job over the years or trying to gentrify the center city neighborhoods.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:42 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
Tiger -- Best to see for yourself, but if you are looking for a "nice" walkable place to live forget Manchester. Those that live here without cars are in the slums.

This isn't NYC. This is Manchester, NH, the small, but urban center of a majority rural/suburban state.

The city has done a miserable job over the years or trying to gentrify the center city neighborhoods.
You must be going to the wrong places, how I pity you your hate of Manchester.

Now to Manchester.

There are several areas in Manchester where you will be able to sho without a care, but you will pay higher prices. The good part however if you set yourself up along either Union street or the West side you will find yourself with either an ethnic market or on Union street some of the best meats in town.

Downtown is quite walkable to the 51 year old I have done concerts at the Verizon by walking there. Daylight hrs afford you many parks, though in Manchester as in most any city it is best to avoid the parks at night unless there is an event going on.

Walking to eateries is not only not a problem but you will find a variety to choose from. Like commercial Mexican, Margaritas..something a little more homey? Consuelo's is your ticket. Chinese?..Everywhere, Upscale, bring your wallet. Cheap and Fast? Pay and go.

Want to roam some. take a stroll by the river,want some Mill history? There is a museum smack dab in the Mill Yard. Manchester is alive and well despite what the snobs say.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Manchester is alive and well despite what the snobs say.
I've been called a snob...and I love Manchester

Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
From what I understand, Manchester developed with trolley cars to take the mill workers back and forth to work. Dense multi family housing and old mill housing can be found.
Like most towns and cities, the closer you are to Town Hall, the more pedestrian friendly it gets. However the supermarkets and chain stores are away from that section.
Manchester does have a city bus service that I understand is pretty good.
I do like that historical density aspect. Is Nashua at all like that as well? Or was that more of an auto-centric town/city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire