Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,851 times

Advertisements

We are considering making a move to Haddonfield, NJ from Center City. We are a young family with two small children. We really like the walkable town and the houses seem beautiful. Wondering if anyone knows what the make up of the town is - ie, mostly young families, older families, retirees, etc. We had a hard time figuring this out on a visit there. Also, we are a Jewish family and are wondering if there is a population in town? We realize there are no synagogues there, and Cherry Hill/Voorhees are close, but would our children be one of only a handful of Jewish kids in public school? Any guidance would be great. We have heard wonderful things about this schools, safety, etc. and proximity to Philadelphia/airport, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
This is the census data from 2000 for Haddonfield. Outside of the median income numbers, I doubt it has changed much.

Quote:
As of the census[3] of 2000, there are 11,659 people (flat from 11,628 in the 1990 census, and down from 12,337 in 1980), 4,496 households, and 3,255 families residing in the borough. The population density is 4,124.7 people per square mile (1,590.7/km²). There are 4,620 housing units at an average density of 1,634.5/sq mi (630.3/km²). The racial makeup of the borough is 96.47% White, 1.27% African American, 0.13% Native American, 1.12% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.32% from other races, and 0.67% from two or more races. 1.46% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

There are 4,496 households out of which 35.0% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.9% are married couples living together, 7.1% have a female householder with no husband present, and 27.6% are non-families. 24.1% of all households are made up of individuals and 11.0% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.57 and the average family size is 3.09.

In the borough the population is spread out with 27.2% under the age of 18, 3.7% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 27.9% from 45 to 64, and 15.9% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 41 years. For every 100 females there are 90.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 85.1 males.

The median income for a household in the borough is $86,872, and the median income for a family is $103,597. Males have a median income of $73,646 versus $44,968 for females. The per capita income for the borough is $43,170. 2.2% of the population and 1.3% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 2.0% of those under the age of 18 and 3.2% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Overall Haddonfield is a very family oriented town and definitely upper middle class. The school system is consistently ranked as one of the best in the state and they spare no expense in keeping it that way.

I'm sure you've looked into home prices and taxes, but just in case you haven't "starter" homes generally start in the $300k's and I believe the median price is right around $450k. Property taxes are also rather high and tend to range from $8k - $15k per year depending on the house. The town has strict historical preservation laws that govern what changes can be made to homes, colors they can be painted, etc.

As far as Jewish population, like you said Cherry Hill and Voorhees are the strong Jewish communities. Haddonfield is a strong Catholic town with something like 65% of the population identifying as Catholic with another 20% identifying with another mainstream Christian denomination. I don't have info beyond that as the remaining percentage is lumped into "other". However, there are no synagogues in Haddonfield itself with the closest all being located in Cherry Hill. Given that there are churches of just about every Christian denomination the lack of synagogues is kind of telling. Do I think that your children would be the only Jewish kids in school, probably not, but they would be a minority.

So, Haddonfield is a great town and a fantastic place to live, but if you are concerned about the Jewish population and your children not being a minority, then it isn't an ideal choice compared to towns like Cherry Hill that boast almost equivalent school districts and have large vibrant Jewish populations. Of course saying that, I doubt you would see any prejudice and there are plenty of Jewish community resources close by including the Katz JCC in Cherry Hill which is the epicenter of the Jewish community in South Jersey.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:40 PM

21 posts, read 47,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
This is the census data from 2000 for Haddonfield. Outside of the median income numbers, I doubt it has changed much.

Overall Haddonfield is a very family oriented town and definitely upper middle class. The school system is consistently ranked as one of the best in the state and they spare no expense in keeping it that way.

I'm sure you've looked into home prices and taxes, but just in case you haven't "starter" homes generally start in the $300k's and I believe the median price is right around $450k. Property taxes are also rather high and tend to range from $8k - $15k per year depending on the house. The town has strict historical preservation laws that govern what changes can be made to homes, colors they can be painted, etc.
I believe this only applies to the historic part of Haddonfield. I am new to the area but while renovating my home and getting permits they implied that only certain changes can be to the "historic" section of town. Though technically the whole town is "historic", there is one particular section they were referring to.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:30 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydrmer View Post
I believe this only applies to the historic part of Haddonfield. I am new to the area but while renovating my home and getting permits they implied that only certain changes can be to the "historic" section of town. Though technically the whole town is "historic", there is one particular section they were referring to.
Yeah, a few years ago some people painted their Victorian in shades of purple. Some of the townfolk nearly had a stroke, but the people proved that they were being historically accurate, so after it was splashed all over the local newscasts, it sort of faded away. (Last I knew the house is still purple.)

Old 09-02-2010, 04:53 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Haddenfield is a wonderful place to raise children. I would highly recommend it.. If you can live without the large Jewish population you will love this town

Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,104 times
I always thought Haddonfield had a large Jewish population as well as Cherry Hill. Saying this town is largely Catholic is news to me.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Really, I think that if you bought in the historic district, the people in Haddonfield would be far more concerned with what color you paint your house than your religion.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I always thought Haddonfield had a large Jewish population as well as Cherry Hill. Saying this town is largely Catholic is news to me.
I know, at one point, it was a real mix with the top 3 religions being Quaker, Jewish, & Methodist.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:32 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Really, I think that if you bought in the historic district, the people in Haddonfield would be far more concerned with what color you paint your house than your religion.
Ha!! Best quote of the day! And so true

Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
I don't think people really place an emphasis on religion, but I have always considered Haddonfield and Moorestown to be more WASP/Catholic while Cherry Hill and Voorhees were a mix do to their size, but had a heavy Jewish influence. I'm personally Catholic, but I have a lot of Jewish colleagues and friends. There is one universal among the ones who practice and that is they all pretty much live in Cherry Hill or Voorhees, have lived there or are considering moving there, lol. For a lot of them it comes down to their kids not feeling like the only Jewish kids in school (important to them when the kids are younger around the holidays, not so important when the kids are older) and being close to major synagogues and JCC's.

From the beginning Haddonfield was Quaker and added Methodist and Presbyterian churches very early on. The Catholic Church, Christ the King, wasn't built until 1941 and didn't really take off until the 70's. Now it is the seat of the Vicar-General of the Camden Diocese and also home to a large regional Catholic school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia