Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best places to live near McGuire AFB
Bordenton 0 0%
Westampton 2 15.38%
Toms River 2 15.38%
Medford 6 46.15%
Hamilton 1 7.69%
Mt. Laurel 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 58,012 times

Advertisements

Any advice for towns/cities to reside in while stationed at McGuire AFB. We have two young children that will be starting elementary school. My husband wants less than a 45 minute commute to work (ideally under 30 minutes). I am a yoga instructor/personal trainer so would like a decent size city where I can continue my profession. We would also like easy access to the big cities. We can afford up to 450K, but would prefer to rent a house. Can we make that happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
Chesterfield is close (10-15 mins) and we have a lot of military families here as well. You may have to travel a little further for the yoga instruction end of it, but you can find something in within your limit I'm sure. There's a lot of building going on here. Chesterfield Elementary is the school here and Northern Burlington Regional is Middle/High School.

Also check out Mansfield, Springfield, North Hanover. Each have their own elementary schools, but all go to Northern. Kids who live on McGuire also go to to Northern. Renting in the Northern Burlington District can be hard to come by, but its a nice area to live in. There are a few rentals in the area though.

You could also look at Bordentown and Hamilton as well. But as far as Hamilton goes tell your Realtor you want to be in the Steinert School District. And you might find more rental opportunities in these towns as well.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:44 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
from the list you have, Medford without a doubt.. No question

Old 01-30-2011, 01:44 PM

My husband has visited the area briefly and found houses he liked in all of these towns, that's why I listed them. He really liked Medford but I'm worried about it being too far away from Philly and other big cities. Is it quite rural? What is a decent town to live in where you have good train options for getting to Newark, NYC, Philly, etc.?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:31 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
From the list you have there, I agree with frankgn87 - Medford. But not much access to trains there. Also - traffic can be quite heavy. Same with Mt. Laurel and Toms River. Very nice place to live, but very busy. Westampton is OK, but the kids there end up at Rancocas Valley HS. While I have no experience with this school myself, I have not "heard" the best things.

For train access....Bordentown has the RiverLine. Hamilton has a train station. So if you need to be close enough where you don't have to drive, then I would say those two. But if you have a car and are going to drive to the station, any of the towns I listed earlier are close enough. Chesterfield is right next to Bordentown and Hamilton. Mansfield, Springfield, and North Hanover are a little further, but all are within 10 minutes or so.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:31 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskergal111 View Post
My husband has visited the area briefly and found houses he liked in all of these towns, that's why I listed them. He really liked Medford but I'm worried about it being too far away from Philly and other big cities. Is it quite rural? What is a decent town to live in where you have good train options for getting to Newark, NYC, Philly, etc.?
Medford is no more then 25 minutes from Philly. Some walkable gorgeous downtown, some rural.. Great school.. Their fireworks on the 4th and their Halloween parade is state of the art too. We go to both

Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
I went to high school in Cherry Hill during the Vietnam War era. Many of my classmates were children of officers at Dix & McGuire. I would think that Medford would be a very good location & certainly closer to the base than Cherry Hill.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
I would also agree with Medford. It is a great town with good schools and will be an easy commute for your husband and is a quick drive into Philly or a train station to take you to Philly and is also an easy drive to a train to NYC. Being a yoga instructor, the Medford, Marlton, Voorhees area is full of upper-middle class folks that like those sorts of things and there are a ton of fitness centers. You may need to drive to where you need to be, but you are talking 15-20 minute drives at most.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
I lived in Medford for 4 years. Those were my four happiest years living in New Jersey. The village, where I lived, has an early 20th century style downtown. You are almost equidistant between Philadelphia and McGuire. Excellent school systems (Seneca and Lenape) as well.

If you were to draft a short list of very best towns to live in NJ, I would put Medford in the top 10.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 AM

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the advice and suggestions. We are leaning towards Medford and have found some beautiful homes in our price range. Any neighborhoods or areas of Medford we should be leaning towards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia