Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:02 AM

44 posts, read 195,933 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to NJ in January 2014. We are coming from CA. My husband is in the military and will be working at McGuire AFB. We are a couple in our 40's and have a dog. We are looking for a safe town with easy access to McGuire. I am not sure about the traffic conditions in this area, but anything up to 30 minutes drive would be fine. We will have to rent as we might only stay for 2 years and our budget is $2000/month. We would prefer a house, does not have to be big, but should have a yard and a garage. Taking this in consideration, which towns would you recommend? I have been researching and have currently Bordentown, Eastampton and Medford on my list. Medford seems to bit a bit farther, but if traffic to and from base would be not too back we would include it in our search. I would appreciate any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 10:21 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Id go with Medford. Has a beautiful 'downtown'

Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,891 times
DH and I were stationed there for about 8 years so I'm pretty familiar with the area. Medford, Bordentown, Mount Laurel, and Eastampton are all great little towns with rentals in your price range and would be the towns I would definitely recommend! I can tell you stay away from Browns Mills and Pemberton, just stay away. We really enjoyed living in NJ and it's proximity to the major metro areas. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to private message me! I still have a lot of friends in the area!!

Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,236 times
I would recommend Chesterfield andBordentown. Chesterfield has a new K-6 school walking distance from many homes and is friendly, diverse and growing. It is a quick 20 minutes to McGuire and closer than that to shopping , but set amidst farms and forests. Very pretty. Bordentown may have more rental options. It also covers more territory- some spots nicer than others. Look in Clifton Mills subdivision or "downtown" Bordentown , which includes a historic Main Street lined with art galleries and restaurants and walking distance to elementary and middle schools. I know several people who commute to the base from both towns.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:56 PM

Thank you for the responses. We will be arriving next month in NJ and looking at the recommended areas I was wondering where we would incur extra costs for extra insurance ( like flood area) or higher car insurances? Are there any zip codes which would increase our insurances because of the location?

Old 12-27-2013, 06:32 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,888 times
How about Tabernacle?

The home we just purchased in Deptford... the prior owners worked at Fort Dix and moved to be closer.. moved into Tabernacle. Thats about all I know of the town. :-)

Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silke8261 View Post
Thank you for the responses. We will be arriving next month in NJ and looking at the recommended areas I was wondering where we would incur extra costs for extra insurance ( like flood area) or higher car insurances? Are there any zip codes which would increase our insurances because of the location?
Flooding would be a rather individualized thing to certain areas. Around a decade ago, there was major flooding in the Medford area when several dams failed, but that is not a common thing. Most people in South Jersey don't have or need flood insurance. Auto insurance is one thing that NJ will probably shock you with. Car insurance is high in NJ and that's just the way it is. When it comes to areas, it's usually county based and Camden County tends to see higher rates than Burlington and Gloucester Counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
How about Tabernacle?

The home we just purchased in Deptford... the prior owners worked at Fort Dix and moved to be closer.. moved into Tabernacle. Thats about all I know of the town. :-)
Tabernacle is a nice area as is Shamong. They're all basically along the 206 corridor east of Medford. The one nice thing about those communities is that it's a very easy commute to the base while still being in a nice more upscale area.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:35 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
If your auto insurance carrier isn't USAA, call and ask for a quote. It'll save you some money.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
If your auto insurance carrier isn't USAA, call and ask for a quote. It'll save you some money.
Good advice. USAA has some of the lowest rates in NJ.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:16 PM

We are coming from California and when we just called for how our car insurance would change it was not too much, but we gave them the zip code for McGuire AFB, so I am not sure how much it would change depending on the area we move too. We are looking for rent and have a budget of $2000, but till now I am unable to find anything closer to the base (max 30 minus way driving) that would suitable for us and in this price range? Not sure why it is so expensive renting in NJ? We are looking for a house max 3 bedroom with yard, and to keep insurance low a garage, but this combination is hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia