Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 11:45 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,900,359 times

Advertisements

Hello
Does anyone have any experience -- or knows someone that has lived there -- with these apartments?

We currently live in the damn ghetto in Collingswood, thanks to the lovely Section 8 system. Our lease is up in November, so we have lots of time.

We of course do plan on going there and actually looking inside and outside -- but that doesn't always mean you get what you see (if it were true, we wouldn't have been here lol)

What I like is: It's in Voorhees. I do like that area. It'll be close to both of our parents, and it's walkable to the Speedline since I work in Philly.

When going to look at these apartments, what kind of questions can I ask? I don't mean your typical "how much" "how many sq feet".. but can I ask about crime? Drug problem? .. I just don't think they would answer that.. lol I would hate to ask "is there a lot of Section 8 here" because it doesn't mean EVERYONE on S8 is bad.. but through my experience, they have

Apartmentratings.com is a just. Just too many angry people with no real feedback. THIS PLACE SUX CUZ PPL IN OFFICE WERE MEAN, doesn't really give me any real idea of what living there is like.. lol

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,735,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Hello
Does anyone have any experience -- or knows someone that has lived there -- with these apartments?

We currently live in the damn ghetto in Collingswood, thanks to the lovely Section 8 system. Our lease is up in November, so we have lots of time.

We of course do plan on going there and actually looking inside and outside -- but that doesn't always mean you get what you see (if it were true, we wouldn't have been here lol)

What I like is: It's in Voorhees. I do like that area. It'll be close to both of our parents, and it's walkable to the Speedline since I work in Philly.

When going to look at these apartments, what kind of questions can I ask? I don't mean your typical "how much" "how many sq feet".. but can I ask about crime? Drug problem? .. I just don't think they would answer that.. lol I would hate to ask "is there a lot of Section 8 here" because it doesn't mean EVERYONE on S8 is bad.. but through my experience, they have

Apartmentratings.com is a just. Just too many angry people with no real feedback. THIS PLACE SUX CUZ PPL IN OFFICE WERE MEAN, doesn't really give me any real idea of what living there is like.. lol

Thanks
I don't think that you can escape Section 8.

I've known people who lived in Robin Hill & they liked it & the apartments were nice. Unfortunately, that was before the invention of Section 8.

I'd also look at Waterford, if I were you. (Kings Highway in Cherry Hill just across the bridge from Haddonfield) I lived about 3 blocks from Waterford for 20 years. I knew people who lived there. I have walked to the Haddonfield station of the Speedline from my house, & there's a busline on Kings Highway that will get you there in miserable weather.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,749,436 times
Burnt Mill Apartments would be a no go in my book. They were rather ghetto 15 years ago and not much has changed. Just drive around there at random times and you'll see what I mean. The opinion of that place is pretty strong among locals.

I actually lived in Robin Hill for a little while in 2007 after being transferred back to NJ from Texas for work. We liked it there and I thought the complex was nice, well run and pretty quiet. There is section 8 housing there (as there is in pretty much every apartment complex), but it seemed to be isolated to a secific section and I never saw anything bad going on. They seem to make a conscious effort to put families in one area, singles and couples in one area, etc. Overall we thought it was decent and might have considered staying longer, but our family was getting bigger and the place was only temporary to begin with.

Another nice thing for Robin Hill is that a lot of Voorhees Twp. employees live there as they are required to live in town. So you get a lot of the younger/single police, fireman and public works guys, which tend to take care of the place. On top of that, the manager actually lives on site, which is a nice bonus if you are after nice and quiet.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,900,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Burnt Mill Apartments would be a no go in my book. They were rather ghetto 15 years ago and not much has changed. Just drive around there at random times and you'll see what I mean. The opinion of that place is pretty strong among locals.

I actually lived in Robin Hill for a little while in 2007 after being transferred back to NJ from Texas for work. We liked it there and I thought the complex was nice, well run and pretty quiet. There is section 8 housing there (as there is in pretty much every apartment complex), but it seemed to be isolated to a secific section and I never saw anything bad going on. They seem to make a conscious effort to put families in one area, singles and couples in one area, etc. Overall we thought it was decent and might have considered staying longer, but our family was getting bigger and the place was only temporary to begin with.

Another nice thing for Robin Hill is that a lot of Voorhees Twp. employees live there as they are required to live in town. So you get a lot of the younger/single police, fireman and public works guys, which tend to take care of the place. On top of that, the manager actually lives on site, which is a nice bonus if you are after nice and quiet.
This was very helpful, thank you. I'm still going to check out Burnt Mill JUST so I have something to compare it to, LOL
I figure even if Burnt Mill IS ghetto, it's very possible that it's nowhere near as ghetto as it is here, which is a huge plus in my book.

But we were leaning towards Burnt Mill anyway. Finding out that Voorhees twp workers live there (like police/firemen) really make it more appealing. Not only would I have something to look at () but they generally WILL help take care of the place.

Thanks so much!!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,029,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
This was very helpful, thank you. I'm still going to check out Burnt Mill JUST so I have something to compare it to, LOL
I figure even if Burnt Mill IS ghetto, it's very possible that it's nowhere near as ghetto as it is here, which is a huge plus in my book.

But we were leaning towards Burnt Mill anyway. Finding out that Voorhees twp workers live there (like police/firemen) really make it more appealing. Not only would I have something to look at () but they generally WILL help take care of the place.

Thanks so much!!
I see you are currently in Collingswood, which I know has undergone a lot of revitalization recently. Are you referring to it being right next to Camden or is the town itself getting worse?

The apartments in Voorhees you want to stay away from are Echelon Glen and The Club at Main Street. Don't know anything about Burnt Mill, but that part of Voorhees is getting a bit dicey since it's right next to Lindenwold and Lawnside, which are both pretty ghetto.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,735,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I see you are currently in Collingswood, which I know has undergone a lot of revitalization recently. Are you referring to it being right next to Camden or is the town itself getting worse?

The apartments in Voorhees you want to stay away from are Echelon Glen and The Club at Main Street. Don't know anything about Burnt Mill, but that part of Voorhees is getting a bit dicey since it's right next to Lindenwold and Lawnside, which are both pretty ghetto.
Don't you mean Lindenwold & Clementon? Lawnside is near Barrington. Lawnside has never been upper crust, but I never heard a bad word about it. It's a historically black town, with some families who have been there since before the Civil War. It's not a transient place.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Don't you mean Lindenwold & Clementon? Lawnside is near Barrington. Lawnside has never been upper crust, but I never heard a bad word about it. It's a historically black town, with some families who have been there since before the Civil War. It's not a transient place.
Sections of Lawnside and Magnolia/Somerdale border that section of Voorhees. Lawnside has had quite a few issues in recent years, a couple major drug busts and two summers ago there were three separate shootings including one high profile one where a young teen was killed.

Given those incidents aren't an indictment for the town, but they were certainly out of character and there were rumors of them all being gang related.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
You're probably the first person I've ever heard say you want to stay away from The Club at Main Street. I think it's overpriced for what it is, but it's hardly "ghetto".

Old 06-07-2011, 02:56 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,029,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You're probably the first person I've ever heard say you want to stay away from The Club at Main Street. I think it's overpriced for what it is, but it's hardly "ghetto".
My cousin lived there for a few years and had quite a few issues. He said it was nice for a while until they transported residents there from some projects in Camden.

To the other person, I meant more Lindenwold than Lawnside. I know someone who lives in Clementon and never heard her say a bad thing about it. Have to ask.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,883,494 times
Quote:
The apartments in Voorhees you want to stay away from are Echelon Glen
Oh give me a break, Echelon Glen is completely fine, it's mostly just young families starting out.

GOAT, The Club is not actually part of Main Street, it's the apartments across the street. HubCity is right, there is definitely a good number of former Camden residents there. And yes, some of them are shady. Voorhees kids call it "ghetto." There are plenty of normal people living there too though. And for the record, one of those kids that moved from Camden to the Club is my friend who now lives in a nice house in Sturbridge. It's the American Dream right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia