Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 07:04 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times

Advertisements

is traffic horrid?? how bad is it??

About the rte 70 traffic which parts are the WORST???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 07:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
73 is generally crowded regardless of the time of day, but it gets really backed up during the rush hours; 7a-9a going into Philly and 4p-6p leaving Philly. It is worst from Pennsauken through the NJTP and 295 interchange then it backs up again as you approach Route 70. The rest is still crowded and stop and go, but in those areas you can sit for quite a while.

Route 70 is the same story and same times of day. The worst parts seem to be the 73 interchange in Marlton west to the 295 interchange and down to around Haddonfield Road in Cherry Hill.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
is traffic horrid?? how bad is it??

About the rte 70 traffic which parts are the WORST???
Traffic on 73 is generally bad as Goat said, but it is unspeakably bad when it involves shore traffic in the summer. It's been like that for shore traffic as long as I can remember (back to the '60s).

As for 70, I swear that cutting out Racetrack Circle & Ellisburg Circle did nothing to help. I avoided driving on 70 for years & used every cut-through & alternate possible, every chance I had. I honestly don't think that you can pick a worst part of it, from Admiral Wilson Blvd to just east of Marlton.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:15 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
I commute from the Mt Laurel/Marlton to CC Philly everyday so there are the bad spots I come across.

Rt 73N: Generally not that bad by Fellowship Road (better than 73S). There are some backup on the left lane as you head toward Rt 38. Some of the backup is a result of 73 N pass 38 because of road constructions or Tacony bridge. 38 West is not too bad until you get the Cherry Hill Mall area. I swear there are some really dumb traffic lights there. The drive is quite entertaining as it goes from 3 to 2 lanes in some spots. If you do hit a backup, it's usually around the airport circle. From There 30 West isn't too bad until you hit BF bridge. It's best to get through the toll booth from the left and then move over to the right lanes as you are on the bridge. Traffic gets backup up because of Vine Street Expressway or 676W.

Philly to NJ (afternooon).
BF Bridge isn't too bad. 30 East could get back up because of the airport circle by Rt130. Pass the airport circle and on to 38E, there is almost always traffice y Cuthbert Blvd. Be careful there in that section. There is always a Cherry Hill police car there catching someone drive on the right median to go around traffic. Traffic is pretty bad there all the way to 73S. 73S is usually REALLY bad before 6:00pm. I find that alternate route could be getting on Chapel Ave (before CH Mall) or Church road (after CH Mall) from 38E.

Now for Rt 70: I don't go that way in the morning but in the afternoon coming home. Congestion before Haddonfield road. The traffic at the old racetrack is terrible. It doesn't get much better after Haddonfield road intersection until you are close to Rt41 (Ellisburg Circle). After the circle, traffic is bad again because of Barclay Farm. It is cleared up after RT 295 ramps but is bad again around Springdale.

Just to give you an idea. from aLoft (73S & Fellowship Road) to 6th and Market is less than 30 minutes for me in most days.

Last edited by sj08054; 10-17-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 AM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times
On 73, the part where there is usually a jam is between Greentree Road (Marlton) to Fellowship Road (Mt.Laurel), which is just south of where the last poster had written about.

This is partially because of the NJ Turnpike traffic that comes in and out (that adds more strain than what Route 70 has for its traffic), one is driving uphill when going northbound on 73/ slightly downhill when going southbound 73 between Greentree and Fellowship, so trucks can take longer to accelerate, the Church Road intersection is unusual, yet a lot of people need to use that road, and because Fellowship Road has a long time for its green light.

From Marlton to Philly, I usually get on back roads between Marlton and Mt.Laurel, and then merge to 73 via Fellowship in Mt. Laurel, since the Fellowship light is granted a good amount of time for it's green light.

On 70, fortunately the 70/73 circle has been removed, and traffic seems to flow better through the overpass in and out of Marlton while it has 2 lanes in each direction. The traffic from Marlton to Philly might be worst in Cherry Hill, between I-295 to Haddonfield Rd., but it moves better than the 73 traffic usually.

Last edited by avg12; 10-18-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-20-2011, 04:22 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I was driving in that area recently after not being there for decades, didn't know the Ellisburg Circle was gone, sailed on through and wondered where in the world I was.
Going back down this weekend (my father lives off Rt. 70 near the Camden line) and am Not looking forward to driving there and taking 42 to another relative in Blackwood.
It makes Boston look sane.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:47 PM

15 posts, read 17,429 times
ok so now you insited the traffic spots which bus lines would you create if you were NJtransit based on the traffic patterns of rte 70/73???
and based on previous posts.
Hint:there is already a bus on rte 70 from philly to marlton called 406 so a rte 70 line to philly doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia