Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Keep wallowing in your ignorance, Frank, since it makes you feel superior.
superior? Nahh, we are just farmers We d have superior corn and tomatoes though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Yea us South jersey people have NOTHING in common with the Norf jersey people. They are generally new york rude and all wound up.. We are laid back and much more friendly. After all we are all *farmers* down here in the pine barrens!
Frank, only if you grow tomatoes in your yard.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Frank, only if you grow tomatoes in your yard.
The local awesome farm is 2 blocks away and they have the best corn and tomatoes we have ever tasted

Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,933 times
I'll take farms over smokestacks as well.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,575,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
First bold: It may have been a very different dynamic in the 60's and 70's then what it became in the 80's and what it is today. You basically said it yourself, the reason it was voted down is do to the influx of people from Northern NJ. That was 30+ years ago that you say that was true and it has only continued since then.

Second bold: Ocean County is now almost entirely tied culturally and economically to NYC, hence why it is in the NYC MSA. I saw a lot of the change happen over the 90's and early 00's. As the housing boom took hold, people from North Jersey pushed further south and Ocean County is where they went and they went there in droves. The Toms River area is almost entirely "north" when it comes to culture. I know quite a few people who live in the Brick/Toms River area. A lot of them commute to North Jersey or NYC for work. People who grew up in that area from the mid-80's on almost universally identify as being from "North" or at the least "Central" Jersey.

I won't say that YOU aren't from South Jersey if that's where you identify. However, what is now Ocean County isn't really viewed as part of South Jersey and it hasn't been for decades. I'm in my early 30's and I have never considered Ocean County to be part of "South Jersey". Along the shore points, LBI is pretty much the demarkation line between the "north shore" and "south shore" region, meaning its where you are as likely to bump into "Philly" as you are "NYC", though the numbers of "Philly" seem less and less every year. Heck, if I tell most people near me I'm going to LBI, they ask me why I'm going to the shore in "North Jersey".
No one from Brick would say they are from North Jersey. Granted I have not lived in NJ since 1999; So I may be outdated in my perceptions.. i have been told by friends that after Septemeber 11th there were lots of New Yorkers... especailly Staten Islanders who have moved to Ocean County. But I know that the kids I grew up with whose parents left Newark and Jersey City in the late 60s/early 70s considered themselves from South Jersey. But there are quite a few that claim Central Jersey in Northern Ocean County, but its far from Universal.
When I was growing up the high schools in Ocean County all competed in the NJSIAA South Jersey groups. Brick Township or Toms River South were always playing Cherry Hill East or West for SJ Group IV championships. And I remember the high school football team from Pt Pleasant Beach playing against Paulsboro for the SJ group I championship in 1978. I understand now that Pt Pleasant Beach is in Central Jersey for NJSIAA... but so is Florence in Burlington County.

The best news coverage on TV for Ocean County is by far channel 6 out of Philadelphia. Ocean County was one of the first areas of the country to get cable TV because unless you had a massive antenna you didn't get any TV signals. When I was real little I remember watching channel 48. "The Kids Choice in Philadelphia."

New Yorkers think they are superior to New Jersey in all ways, whereas Philadelphia embraces its New Jersey suburbs without the condescension that New Yorkers have .

I think that the longer people live in Ocean County the more they will be influenced by Philadelphia. Its much less of a hassle to get to Center City than it is to Manhattan.... and you can never forget that we have WaWa

Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,933 times
I wonder what the effects of turning the part of Rt.70 in the Pine Barrens into a major road would be. Personally, I think the Philly/SJ influence in Ocean Co. would skyrocket. Is it worth the economic and environmental cost though?

Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I wonder what the effects of turning the part of Rt.70 in the Pine Barrens into a major road would be. Personally, I think the Philly/SJ influence in Ocean Co. would skyrocket. Is it worth the economic and environmental cost though?
Too controversial to happen probably. We can't even get Medford and parts of Marlton on 70 fully two lane each way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
, if I tell most people near me I'm going to LBI, they ask me why I'm going to the shore in "North Jersey".
Part of that is Philly mentality that one has to take the AC Expressway to reach the Shore. NJ is still a different land for many in PA where only certain approved paths are explored into NJ. I suppose the reverse is true to as many in NJ don't really venture into the PA suburbs.

Anyways, the South Jersey edition of the Inquirer had a travel section awhile ago which gave directions to Seaside. The directions provided were to take AC Expressway (a must) then go north on Garden State Parkway for 50-60 miles to reach Seaside Heights, making it like one is going as far as Cape May but instead of south, one goes north.

It's a lot easier taking 70 for Camden/Burlington counties of the area, but such directions will never get published. It's fine though, as it reduces traffic on 70.

Last edited by avg12; 03-28-2013 at 03:23 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I totally agree. There were plans to build 2 freeways across the state in the 1960s... Route 38 from Camden to Belmar... that is why there was a section of Route 38 in Wall Township. And then Route 37 from Trenton to Seaside Heights. because of the plans, Route 70 and 72 remained as 2 lane roads. Which was fine when there were 40,000 in Ocean County but now there are 500,000+

Had these been built Ocean County would be a definite mix of Philly and North Jersey transplants. But like you said the environmental cost would be high.

My dad and his friends used to hunt in Brick Township...which was nothing but Pine Barrens until 1960

Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I totally agree. There were plans to build 2 freeways across the state in the 1960s... Route 38 from Camden to Belmar... that is why there was a section of Route 38 in Wall Township. And then Route 37 from Trenton to Seaside Heights. because of the plans, Route 70 and 72 remained as 2 lane roads. Which was fine when there were 40,000 in Ocean County but now there are 500,000+

Had these been built Ocean County would be a definite mix of Philly and North Jersey transplants. But like you said the environmental cost would be high.

My dad and his friends used to hunt in Brick Township...which was nothing but Pine Barrens until 1960

Isnt 195 basically the route 37 incarnation of sorts

It is an odd shore dynamic. I spent half my youth in Bucks County and Seaside, LBI, Belmar are all much closer yet everyone it seemed went to AC and south with a little in LBI which to me was always the grey island in terms of the shore

Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Isnt 195 basically the route 37 incarnation of sorts

It is an odd shore dynamic. I spent half my youth in Bucks County and Seaside, LBI, Belmar are all much closer yet everyone it seemed went to AC and south with a little in LBI which to me was always the grey island in terms of the shore

195 is sort of a hybrid of the 38/37 proposals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia