Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Im just upset that the Voorhees town Center or Garden State is not nearly good enough. Garden State shows its back to pt and is just a glorified strip mall. Voorhees town center also turns its back to the street, the library, and even though PATCO runs right by the dead end of the mall there is not station. Both were poorly executed and could have been some much better for a live/work/play type environment that many young people want now a days.

PS PATCO has lousy headways on weekends and evening 20-25 min on SAT and SUN... constant track work.
That's the part I question. I am not that old so was one of those "many young people" recently and know even more young people through work. I don't hear this constant lament of wanting a "live/work/play" environment. I just think you have certain ideas about how you think things should be developed and are projecting that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 02:02 PM

691 posts, read 3,060,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
That's the part I question. I am not that old so was one of those "many young people" recently and know even more young people through work. I don't hear this constant lament of wanting a "live/work/play" environment. I just think you have certain ideas about how you think things should be developed and are projecting that.
There are a good number of young people who do want that type of development. My friends and I have commented on many occasions about the lack of options in South Jersey. The Garden State Park development really had potential but as the previous poster mentioned, it is pretty much a typical big box shopping center.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
Quote:
it is pretty much a typical big box shopping center
I've never understood the urbanists' distaste for shopping centers. If I can get quality items at a decent price, what difference does it make if a store is located in a mall or a storefront on south street? The same goes for restaurants. At a chain, I at least know what I'm going to get for the price. Too many times I've tried a local downtown establishment only to be horribly disappointed.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:13 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
I've never understood the urbanists' distaste for shopping centers. If I can get quality items at a decent price, what difference does it make if a store is located in a mall or a storefront on south street? The same goes for restaurants. At a chain, I at least know what I'm going to get for the price. Too many times I've tried a local downtown establishment only to be horribly disappointed.
I agree.. Could never understand the hate..

Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
There are a good number of young people who do want that type of development. My friends and I have commented on many occasions about the lack of options in South Jersey. The Garden State Park development really had potential but as the previous poster mentioned, it is pretty much a typical big box shopping center.
Maybe, I guess I never got the whole "urbanist" thing.

Quote:
Agreed, I don't understand the hate for shopping centers. This whole concept of "mixed use" as the ideal where you have residential interspersed with commerical and recreational seems odd to me. I get it in a large development, having a "village center" kind of thing (my area is like that), but I don't get the "we all need to live in apartments above stores and bars" thing.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:07 PM

691 posts, read 3,060,980 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with shopping centers. However, we already have a plethora of them in SJ. It would have been nice to have something different. Something like Reston Town Center in Northern VA would have been perfect for the Garden State Park parcel IMO. It could have been a real focal point for Cherry Hill.

http://www.restontowncenter.com/

Old 06-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

but I don't get the "we all need to live in apartments above stores and bars" thing.
FOR SURE..

Old 06-28-2013, 09:41 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
BTW nightlife includes theaters and shows too.

I'm pretty sure sex is what makes Philly so popular, its like one gigantic meat market... lol.

Im also sorry you find Philly depressing. Is it just the nightlife or something else?
Its the day life too. Cities in general depress me. People are out of their mind busy in cities. People I know moved to cities, I'm happy they're gone and I'm still here.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 AM

could not be said better..

Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Quote:
PATCO has long headways late at night... not so great.
It's one of 4 subways in the entire country that runs 24/7. Even if you have to wait half an hour at 2am, that's still awesome. Even the PA suburbs don't have that option.

Quote:
Im just upset that the Voorhees town Center or Garden State is not nearly good enough. Garden State shows its back to pt and is just a glorified strip mall. Voorhees town center also turns its back to the street, the library, and even though PATCO runs right by the dead end of the mall there is not station. Both were poorly executed and could have been some much better for a live/work/play type environment that many young people want now a days.
Agreed agreed agreed. The Philly area has tons of great main street type towns but I would love to see larger DC-area style town centers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia