Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:31 PM

122 posts, read 176,773 times

Advertisements

Aldi is buying out Bottom Dollar Food's stores in the Philly and Pittsburgh markets:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...s_to_Aldi.html

What do you think will become of the Cherry Hill and Marlton stores? Aldi already has stores not too far from the Bottom Dollar sites. It'd be great if the west Cherry Hill site which is Bottom Dollar converted to Trader Joes but likely Aldi will assume this spot and close the Maple Shade site on 38.

I'd be surprised if the Marlton Bottom Dollar Food site in Crispin Square converts to Aldi, since Aldi has a pretty new store on Route 70.

Are there a lot of overlaps elsewhere?

Over in PA - I know of another one, the East Norriton/Norristown Aldi is very close to a Bottom Dollar Food as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 03:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marltonguy View Post
Aldi is buying out Bottom Dollar Food's stores in the Philly and Pittsburgh markets:
Bottom Dollar selling its stores to Aldi

What do you think will become of the Cherry Hill and Marlton stores? Aldi already has stores not too far from the Bottom Dollar sites. It'd be great if the west Cherry Hill site which is Bottom Dollar converted to Trader Joes but likely Aldi will assume this spot and close the Maple Shade site on 38.

I'd be surprised if the Marlton Bottom Dollar Food site in Crispin Square converts to Aldi, since Aldi has a pretty new store on Route 70.

Are there a lot of overlaps elsewhere?

Over in PA - I know of another one, the East Norriton/Norristown Aldi is very close to a Bottom Dollar Food as well.
Good news for everyone near a Bottom Dollar. I just called my sister in Pitman & gave her the good news.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:59 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Is it good news? I haven't seen Aldi say they will actually turn all if any of the stores into Aldis. You would think they would with at least some of them, but maybe they were just eliminating competition.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Is it good news? I haven't seen Aldi say they will actually turn all if any of the stores into Aldis. You would think they would with at least some of them, but maybe they were just eliminating competition.
I would assume that if a location works for them they'll scrub the Food Lion stink off them & open an Aldi. If a location doesn't work they will probably give Trader Joe's first bid, then have control over who buys the leftover buildings.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:17 PM

161 posts, read 344,659 times
Aldi announced plans to re-open 30 of the 66 Bottom Dollar locations is bought. It is seeking to sell or sublease the rest of the 36 stores. The Cherry Hill store will re-open as an Aldi. Not sure what will happen to the current (older) Aldi nearby down Rt. 38 in Maple Shade.

The full list of re-openings are here: Aldi to reopen 30 Bottom Dollar sites | Limited Assortment content from Supermarket News

Old 03-27-2015, 10:06 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I kind of liked Bottom Dollar for a few canned goods, maybe chicken , and fluffy white bread when my nephew lived here. He liked fluffy white bread.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:32 PM

122 posts, read 176,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
Aldi announced plans to re-open 30 of the 66 Bottom Dollar locations is bought. It is seeking to sell or sublease the rest of the 36 stores. The Cherry Hill store will re-open as an Aldi. Not sure what will happen to the current (older) Aldi nearby down Rt. 38 in Maple Shade.

The full list of re-openings are here: Aldi to reopen 30 Bottom Dollar sites | Limited Assortment content from Supermarket News

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Maple Shade site. It's a mere 2 miles apart on the same road. Even ShopRite stores are atleast 4 miles apart, generally on different roads.

My guess is it closes. Isn't there a vacant Hooters site right next to it? Perhaps a real estate buyer could buy both lots and tear both structures down, so that something larger could fit in there, like a Wawa.

I think Aldi will be a better tenant for the Plaza at Cherry Hill than Bottom Dollar Food or the junk stores like Diamond Furniture that have come and gone from there. Raymour and Flanigan is good but more general stores are needed. It's in a way odd but likely true to say that Aldi can attract better tenants.

Maybe Aldi can be a draw to get TJMaxx or Marshall's into Cherry Hill somewhat adjacent to Aldi. It's bizarre that TJX has no good site to choose from in the west side of Cherry Hill after TJX left the dump of the Pathmark site and AJ Wright closed in the Wal-Mart site.

Yet, TJMaxx and Marshalls are now both in Marlton. The Marshall's in Marlton just opened this week.

Last edited by marltonguy; 03-29-2015 at 08:09 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 11:27 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,430 times
I have a complaint about the many strip centers surrounding Cherry Hill Mall: why did Total Wine (which I am grateful is in town at all) open in the awful spot they did, even though the Super Fresh nearby (which opened in 1999 but closed in 2000) was empty and available? LA Fitness which is there now would have been a better fit for where Total Wine instead is, and vice versa. Anyway, the Super Fresh was in part of a former S Klein department store that opened around 1960 and closed in 1976.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
I have a complaint about the many strip centers surrounding Cherry Hill Mall: why did Total Wine (which I am grateful is in town at all) open in the awful spot they did, even though the Super Fresh nearby (which opened in 1999 but closed in 2000) was empty and available? LA Fitness which is there now would have been a better fit for where Total Wine instead is, and vice versa. Anyway, the Super Fresh was in part of a former S Klein department store that opened around 1960 and closed in 1976.
Well, ward, S Klein did not open in 1960.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
well, ward, s klein did not open in 1960.
Then when was it? 1966? I do admit I mistakenly assumed the S Klein opened the same year as the nearby Barclay A&P, which was a Drug Emporium after A&P and now is an Asian supermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia