Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,074 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are first time home buyers and we are looking to purchase a house in New Jersey. The asking price for the house is $325,000 and the current assessed taxable value is $244,000. The property tax for 2014 is $9,328. My question is, will the purchase price affect the assessment which in turn could affect the taxes? I'd would like to hear from recent home buyers their experience. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,074 times
To be more specific, the town we are looking to purchase the house is in Cherry Hill.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:55 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
Cherry Hill went through re-assessment during the last 2 years. the $244K is probably the new assessed value and supposed to be closer to market value. You purchasing price will most likely not affect the tax. However, property taxes did go a bit lower for lots of folks after the re-assessment. The reason is that while the new assessed value is probably higher than what it was, they use a different base %. That percentage is most likely going to creep up over the next few years.

If you use this website, you can look up the property that you are interested in.

NJ Assessment Records Search

Old 03-06-2015, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 11,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Cherry Hill went through re-assessment during the last 2 years. the $244K is probably the new assessed value and supposed to be closer to market value. You purchasing price will most likely not affect the tax. However, property taxes did go a bit lower for lots of folks after the re-assessment. The reason is that while the new assessed value is probably higher than what it was, they use a different base %. That percentage is most likely going to creep up over the next few years.

If you use this website, you can look up the property that you are interested in.

NJ Assessment Records Search
This poster is right on the money. You can appeal current taxes on your property if you feel they are too high, but there's never a guarantee they will grant a correction.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:39 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreakus View Post
This poster is right on the money. You can appeal current taxes on your property if you feel they are too high, but there's never a guarantee they will grant a correction.
I appealed mine & won without a lawyer, in the 90s.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:34 PM

592 posts, read 1,478,450 times
I think the comments went astray.

The house is assessed $80,000 lower than the price being purchased at, and it could be argued it has lower taxes because of it.
OP is worried than when they purchase for the higher price, the town will come in and jack up the taxes based on that value.

I don't believe that to be the case. The taxes stay the same until the next reassessment.
(Which could be a concern that in several years).

Whats odd is Camden county went through tax reassessments in just the last few years.... so surprising that its so far out of line. One concern is if applying for mortgage, if the mortgage company's value of the house is closer to the assessment you could have problems getting a mortgage based on the higher price

Old 03-06-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
I think the comments went astray.

The house is assessed $80,000 lower than the price being purchased at, and it could be argued it has lower taxes because of it.
OP is worried than when they purchase for the higher price, the town will come in and jack up the taxes based on that value.

I don't believe that to be the case. The taxes stay the same until the next reassessment.
(Which could be a concern that in several years).

Whats odd is Camden county went through tax reassessments in just the last few years.... so surprising that its so far out of line. One concern is if applying for mortgage, if the mortgage company's value of the house is closer to the assessment you could have problems getting a mortgage based on the higher price
During the real estate bubble my real estate taxes went up every year.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
During the real estate bubble my real estate taxes went up every year.
thats not the point

Cherry Hill was just reassessed in 2013
PDF: http://www.cherryhill-nj.com/Documen.../Home/View/405

thats just over a year ago. Probably didnt even apply the reassessment taxes untill last year.
So how could a house be assessed at 245 and then 18 mos later sell for 30% more.

Actually OP needs to verify that they arent looking at pre-assessment value and taxes considering how soon its been. Immediately after moving in get hit with a bigger tax bill! Ouch

Old 03-06-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
thats not the point

Cherry Hill was just reassessed in 2013
PDF: http://www.cherryhill-nj.com/Documen.../Home/View/405

thats just over a year ago. Probably didnt even apply the reassessment taxes untill last year.
So how could a house be assessed at 245 and then 18 mos later sell for 30% more.

Actually OP needs to verify that they arent looking at pre-assessment value and taxes considering how soon its been. Immediately after moving in get hit with a bigger tax bill! Ouch
Well, having lived in Cherry Hill during the previous reassessment, I got my assessment lowered because the assessment was done by incompetents. They didn't comply with the law for the next reassessment time frame & let it hang, but they jacked up the tax bill every year during the boom. My tax bill really flew up the year after someone tore down a house on my street & crammed a McMansion onto the lot. I think that it does relate to the question.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, having lived in Cherry Hill during the previous reassessment, I got my assessment lowered because the assessment was done by incompetents. They didn't comply with the law for the next reassessment time frame & let it hang, but they jacked up the tax bill every year during the boom. My tax bill really flew up the year after someone tore down a house on my street & crammed a McMansion onto the lot. I think that it does relate to the question.
the OP would be a fool to argue this assessment

The taxes are based on 245k value.
They are buying for 325 or something.

"Hey idiot tax assessor!!! I demand you assess my house at its true value! I am paying 325k so I want to be taxed accordingly"

Sure.. no problem. We will adjust your taxes from $9,300 to $12,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia