Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,132 times

Advertisements

Hi, new user but I've been reading through these threads for a while. We are considering a move from the west coast to South Jersey for a job for my partner near Atlantic City. My best job prospects will be in Philadelphia, where we also have a lot of family. What would be your votes for places to live in between? We have two young kids (one just starting elementary, one in preschool) so we need good schools, medium-sized house, not too rural but not necessarily having lots of nightlife. We'd be okay with one of us commuting further than the other but probably don't want to drive more than 45-60 minutes each way. We don't own a house where we are and would consider renting while we look but don't want to have to do too much school switching.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 07:11 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Maybe you want to look at Voorhees. About 25 minutes to Center City and 60 to Atlantic City, plus great schools. If you want the commute to be a little more fair to the partner (i.e. closer to AC), you will have to sacrifice on school quality.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,983 times
Hammonton is direclty in between Philly and ac its about 30 minutes each way. There are plenty of ways to access both cities from hammonton. The NJ transit train station in Hammonotn will take you to both cities. The white Horse Pike Runs through Hammonton and goes to both cities as does the atlantic city expressway which has an entrance/exit in hammonton. Some parts of Hammonton are very rural, yet other parts (downtown area/ White horse area) are more urban with lots of shops and restaurants. The schools in town are fairly good, the High school and one of the elementary schools were constructed within the past ten years, both of those school are beautiful, the other elementary school and middle school are older but are still nice. There is also a Catholic elementary school in town and catholic high school

Old 08-06-2015, 01:56 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Philly isn't 30 minutes from Hammonton. The train(s) take almost 1 1/2 hours and it would take almost an hour to drive there in the middle of the night.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:33 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Hammonton is, I would say, 45 minutes to both AC and Philly. Really though, unless you want to do private school, don't expect a great education out of Hammonton. As I said, Voorhees is as far from Philly as you can go while still getting great schools.

Hammonton is a cool area with a great downtown, fesitvals, etc. plus farms and wineries, but as a parent, when you have to bite the bullet and select for schools above all else, Hammonton is not the place to go.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 9,132 times
Thanks for your insights and some starting points for my research. Can anyone point me toward local parent resources online? Where I am we have a fairly robust online network where people give/get recommendations for everything from nannies to dentists, and also can buy/sell gear, advertise yard sales, review schools, etc.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:56 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Philly isn't 30 minutes from Hammonton. The train(s) take almost 1 1/2 hours and it would take almost an hour to drive there in the middle of the night.
It depends on the traffic. You can get there 30-35 minutes if you stay on route 42 and then the Atlantic City expressway.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,651 times
If you are coming from the west coast you might find a complete culture shock. I am from the west and the people here are the rudest most unfriendliest one has ever met - if anyone smiles I know they aren't from South Jersey. My first bit of advice is to stay out of Jersey. Buy your house in PA. You will save on property taxes and probably have nicer people living around you. If your heart is set on the Atlantic City area - be advised a third or more of the houses are in foreclosure, there is little shopping and the whole area is in decline - especially Atlantic County. If you still need to come, take your kids to Linwood or Ocean City or Brigantine. However, be advised that after Sandy, houses have to be raised and flood insurance is a big issue. So you will want to get a house west of the garden state parkway to keep your flood insurance down. Honestly PA is a much better deal even if hubby has to commute.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:51 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It depends on the traffic. You can get there 30-35 minutes if you stay on route 42 and then the Atlantic City expressway.

Is that girl time or boy time? Or Gerania time? There's a difference. My drive starts when I start the car and ends when I turn it off. My husband, on the other have, would only count highway time on longer trips.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:25 AM

10 posts, read 23,769 times
Newfield NJ is between, right between both cities. Its a safe and quiet little town with cheap property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia