Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 AM

122 posts, read 176,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
They wouldn't. I don't know why we are even having this discussion.
And demolishing the entire center for nothing, because some out of towners find it out of the way is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 03:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Just for the record, long ago, before Echelon Mall was built, Cherry Hill & Moorestown both had grocery stores.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:20 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marltonguy View Post
And demolishing the entire center for nothing, because some out of towners find it out of the way is better?
No, not the whole center. Just the mall part. I think they should get rid of it and try to transform it into an expansion of the outdoors part and continue on the trend towards a mixed-use center. Take the retail out of the mall and put it outdoors to create an entirely walkable complex and push the parking vertical to help create better synergy. It's obvious that the mall is a failure and cannot be rescued. It's time for a change. They started on the right path, but they half-assed the job. It's time to full-ass!

A grocery store would be a big help. But I'm just saying don't expect a Wegman's or a Whole Foods. I wouldn't expect a Shop Rite or Acme either though, considering they already have stores nearby. Maybe Rastelli Market Fresh opening a third location would be the best option. Either that or Trader Joe's. The other thing that I would say would be beneficial would be running a shuttle service from VTC to the Ashland PATCO.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:35 PM

184 posts, read 370,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
As for WF in Cherry Hill, I thought that was a dumb move from the get-go. Store is small, insufficient parking, very few points of entrance and exit from the Ellisburg Center, etc. If I am going to WF, I go to the Route 73 store in Marlton. Not that I go there many times a year, due to the fact that Trader Joe's has much of the same stuff, only cheaper.
Ellisburg Center has three entrances and exit points and parking is never full. TJ's on 73 has the parking problem.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:15 AM

106 posts, read 140,985 times
I work directly behind the Echelon Mall and let me tell you the VTC and the adjacent mall is dead dead dead. Neither Boscovs' nor Macy's are busy so it may or could be either store to close.
It's a shame. Once the Deptford Mall opened it killed Echelon. Echelon's location is terrible. Somerdale Rd. is a pita so too Evesham and Burnt Mill Rd. Backs up quickly and too many lights. One must drive through neighborhoods to get there. Just my opinion, but I do not believe the people living in this part of Voorhees are upper middle class. It's still Somerdale to me. The luxury condos are bordered by tired side of Lawnside and Walmart, which is always crowded.
What to do...dunno I'm certainly no visionary.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot View Post
I work directly behind the Echelon Mall and let me tell you the VTC and the adjacent mall is dead dead dead. Neither Boscovs' nor Macy's are busy so it may or could be either store to close.
It's a shame. Once the Deptford Mall opened it killed Echelon. Echelon's location is terrible. Somerdale Rd. is a pita so too Evesham and Burnt Mill Rd. Backs up quickly and too many lights. One must drive through neighborhoods to get there. Just my opinion, but I do not believe the people living in this part of Voorhees are upper middle class. It's still Somerdale to me. The luxury condos are bordered by tired side of Lawnside and Walmart, which is always crowded.
What to do...dunno I'm certainly no visionary.
When Echelon was built it drew heavily from Gloucester County. When Deptford opened it killed Echelon. Ashland always was working class.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:36 PM

Deptford opened in 1975, 5 years after Echelon, according to Wikipedia. Echelon did not start dying until the new millenium. I don't think you mean Deptford opening...I think you mean the renovations and expansion. Also, the Promenade opened early in the millennium, which coincides pretty well with Echelon's decline. I think that has more to do with it, also especially considering that most of the richest parts of Voorhees are actually closer to the Promenade than to the Echelon Mall, even though the Promenade is in Marlton (in fact, nearly all of the richest parts...maybe except for the lone exception of the houses near VMS and Eastern High, which is probably roughly equidistant). So, big money left Echelon and went to the Promenade instead. I think that's the biggest culprit.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Deptford opened in 1975, 5 years after Echelon, according to Wikipedia. Echelon did not start dying until the new millenium. I don't think you mean Deptford opening...I think you mean the renovations and expansion. Also, the Promenade opened early in the millennium, which coincides pretty well with Echelon's decline. I think that has more to do with it, also especially considering that most of the richest parts of Voorhees are actually closer to the Promenade than to the Echelon Mall, even though the Promenade is in Marlton (in fact, nearly all of the richest parts...maybe except for the lone exception of the houses near VMS and Eastern High, which is probably roughly equidistant). So, big money left Echelon and went to the Promenade instead. I think that's the biggest culprit.
Were you living there at that time? I was. Please don't tell me what I mean based on Wikipedia.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Were you living there at that time? I was. Please don't tell me what I mean based on Wikipedia.
Yes, I was living there as a matter of fact. I lived in Voorhees throughout the 90's all of the way until 2012 and frequented the Echelon Mall. I know first-hand when the **** hit the fan, thank you very much. I only used Wikipedia for the Deptford Mall opening date, since I did not know that.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was living there as a matter of fact. I lived in Voorhees throughout the 90's all of the way until 2012 and frequented the Echelon Mall. I know first-hand when the **** hit the fan, thank you very much. I only used Wikipedia for the Deptford Mall opening date, since I did not know that.
I was an adult when Echelon opened. My sister moved to Gloucester County a couple of years later. She & her neighbors went to Echelon as their primary mall until Deptford opened. There was a big drop off when Deptford opened. There was a big drop in business before the sh*t hit the fan. As I said, don't tell me what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia