Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,397 times

Advertisements

We're being relocated for work back to the NE and the wife and I are in a Trump vs. Clinton level battle over moving to either Moorestown vs. Haddonfield.

The wife: wants the more suburban feel of Moorestown & the cheaper home prices/taxes

Me: want the more walkable feel of Haddonfield and access to train to Philly.

I've gone through all the posts on here about both towns but a lot of it is old. Does anyone have any specific thoughts on either towns? Which sections of either downs are better for families with small kids? We're looking for some place with a real community feel and both seem to advertise this equally and have the same type of events on their town websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 06:24 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I haven't been to either for over a year, but as far as I know, they're still both very nice towns. I think you're going to have to flip a coin. Two out of three? Three out of five?

Old 10-22-2016, 08:32 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Well you are right. The debate is essentially along the lines you described. Personally I prefer Haddonfield, even going as far as to say Moorestown is "Diet Haddonfield." I think the PATCO is a big deal, as is also the proximity to Westmont and Collingswood, whereas Moorestown is near, well, Mt. Laurel. Haddonfield itself I find to be more charming and more community-like with a better downtown than Moorestown as well. Haddonfield all the way if you can responsibly afford it.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:36 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Well you are right. The debate is essentially along the lines you described. Personally I prefer Haddonfield, even going as far as to say Moorestown is "Diet Haddonfield." I think the PATCO is a big deal, as is also the proximity to Westmont and Collingswood, whereas Moorestown is near, well, Mt. Laurel. Haddonfield itself I find to be more charming and more community-like with a better downtown than Moorestown as well. Haddonfield all the way if you can responsibly afford it.
I prefer Haddonfield as well, but Moorestown is also close to Delran and Cinnaminson and the River Line.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
I prefer Haddonfield as well, but Moorestown is also close to Delran and Cinnaminson and the River Line.
Being near Delran and Cinnaminson isn't anything to write home about. Not that they are crummy towns, but there isn't really much to do there.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:46 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
My aunt used to live in Delran. It's not very exciting. The Riverline stops running too early.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:52 AM

968 posts, read 1,141,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Being near Delran and Cinnaminson isn't anything to write home about. Not that they are crummy towns, but there isn't really much to do there.
I see what you mean. You made it sound like Haddonfield being close to Collingswood and Westmont was good because of the PATCO line. I was just saying you have the river line in these towns, but yeah they are rather sprawl-y. More to do by Haddonfield which is why I'd say it was better. I don't know when either of these lines stops. I used mass transit maybe twice in my life. And never in the Philly metro.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
I see what you mean. You made it sound like Haddonfield being close to Collingswood and Westmont was good because of the PATCO line. I was just saying you have the river line in these towns, but yeah they are rather sprawl-y. More to do by Haddonfield which is why I'd say it was better. I don't know when either of these lines stops. I used mass transit maybe twice in my life. And never in the Philly metro.
Nah, PATCO notwithstanding the fact that haddonfield is by westmont and collingswood is still a major plus. It just speaks larger to the better outline of that general area as opposed to where moorestown is. I doubt many people at all from haddonfield would take the patco just to westmont or collingswood. Since you are going to have a car anyway, you might as well drive. Actually waking from haddonfield to westmont isn't so bad either, providing the weather isn't crappy. Done it before just straight down Haddon Ave.

Patco vs riverline when talking about haddonfield vs moorestown isn't a fair comparison anyway. As you noted, the riverline isn't even in moorestown, so you would have to drive to get there, whereas you can reasonably walk to the patco from a good chunk of haddonfield. Also definitely a plus that the patco runs 24/7. Riverline does not, and of course, Riverline actually stops in Camden, not philly, so if going to Philly, you have to transfer into patco anyway and end up double paying.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:12 PM

245 posts, read 311,364 times
Will one of you actually be WORKING in Philly? If yes, I would say definitely go for Haddonfield.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 7,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Will one of you actually be WORKING in Philly? If yes, I would say definitely go for Haddonfield.
No, I'll be working in NJ - right between Moorestown & Haddonfield. The main use for Patco would be for when my wife has to go to NYC and also for my mother who lives in Center City to visit.

Are there any sections of either town that are better than others or sections to avoid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia