Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:26 AM

691 posts, read 3,061,282 times

Advertisements

Collingswood is a great town. The only reason I didn't mention it in the original post was that the OP wanted to live in a suburban environment with lots of open space. Collingswood is more densely populated and gives off more of an urban feel than the surrounding suburbs.

Also, while the Collingswood downtown has great restaurants and shops, the absence of bars and clubs b/c of its dry town status hurts its overall appeal to the OP since he was looking for some nightlife. It also isn't very convenient to typical suburban amenities such as supermarkets and big box retailers.

But Collingswood is definitely worth checking out....as is Westmont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 06:41 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Collingswood is a great town. The only reason I didn't mention it in the original post was that the OP wanted to live in a suburban environment with lots of open space. Collingswood is more densely populated and gives off more of an urban feel than the surrounding suburbs.

Also, while the Collingswood downtown has great restaurants and shops, the absence of bars and clubs b/c of its dry town status hurts its overall appeal to the OP since he was looking for some nightlife. It also isn't very convenient to typical suburban amenities such as supermarkets and big box retailers.

But Collingswood is definitely worth checking out....as is Westmont.
Good points...and Westmont is not a dry town, my friend works at a fantastic restaurant there called Cork, they were recently recognized as the best place in the area for good wine and beer.

Not too expensive to buy a home in the area, yet, but a great time to look into it in this market!!

Good luck!!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:55 PM

53 posts, read 422,652 times
Thanks, I'll definatelly check out the Cherry Hill, Collingswood, Westmont area. I did some searching on apartments.com, maybe my search terms were too narrow but they were mostly in Cherry Hill. one in moorestown, one in mapleshade, one in deptford. I did come across an apartment in collingswood, but it was a highrise tower style (that I am less interested in). I did specify only apartments with washer/dryers in unit, that prob narrowed it down alot.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:33 AM

I would say the majority of apartments in Cherry Hill are highrises. I don't know of too many 2-3 story buildings.

I would stay away from Deptford because the commute to Camden would be pretty bad. Anything along route 42 or south is a horrible commute to the Philly/Camden area.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
i went to Joe Pesci's (seafood, get it) on haddon ave. in collingswood. its a BYOB, not bad!

yeah, S. Jersey's not a bad location if you crave the urban vibe. its close to Philly, Atlantic City & other shore points. and its only an hour and a half away from NYC (w/ no traffic of course ).

Old 03-06-2008, 07:25 PM

I've mainly been using apartments.com and apartmentratings.com to look for apartments. Do any of you know of any other sites that may have more listings? Most of the hits I've been getting are in cherry hill. I haven't found any in collingswood, or the surrounding area. However, I specifically select that I want an apartment with a washer/dryer so maybe that is severely limiting my choices. I think the Cherry Hill area sounds right for me based on your descriptions. Suburban feel, but not far away from activity.

Actually I currently have 4 apartments on my list.
Bishops View
Burrough's Mill
Moorestowne Woods
Highlands at Cherry Hill

I'm also going to check out the two in Mt. Laurel that were suggested but they seem alittle far, at least according to google maps.

Last edited by lmbgm; 03-06-2008 at 08:48 PM..

Old 03-07-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbgm View Post
I've mainly been using apartments.com and apartmentratings.com to look for apartments. Do any of you know of any other sites that may have more listings? Most of the hits I've been getting are in cherry hill. I haven't found any in collingswood, or the surrounding area. However, I specifically select that I want an apartment with a washer/dryer so maybe that is severely limiting my choices. I think the Cherry Hill area sounds right for me based on your descriptions. Suburban feel, but not far away from activity.

Actually I currently have 4 apartments on my list.
Bishops View
Burrough's Mill
Moorestowne Woods
Highlands at Cherry Hill

I'm also going to check out the two in Mt. Laurel that were suggested but they seem alittle far, at least according to google maps.

I've driven by Moorestowne Woods a number of times and they look very nice from the outside....plus you have a prestigious moorestown address. Keep in mind it is in the poorer section of town and the immediate few block radius isn't the greatest.

Burrough's Mill in CH look very nice from the outside too and you are right behind the mall. I'm not sure how the residents are tho - i've seen some shady looking people going in and out of there on occasion.

I don't know much about Bishops View but by looking at the map it seems to border Pennsauken and is very close to Camden. I'd be very wary about that area.

The Highlands seem to be in the best area of the 4 you mentioned. Just keep in mind - traveling to Camden on Route 70 can be a pain sometimes. Route 38 is much better. 70 is usually a cluster**** between Cooper Landing Road and 295 most days.

Also as an FYI - the further east you are in Cherry Hill, the nicer the area is. The far western side of CH is close to Camden and Pennsauken and tends to be ghetto.

Good Luck with your apt search.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:42 AM

59 posts, read 167,530 times
If you are moving to this area and plan to be here more than 2-3 years, the don't rule out buying a home. With prices down, and intereste rates low, it is a GREAT time to buy. If you don't have any acrued assets to buy, or if you won't be here long - then renting is the best route. In Collingwood, there are more homes or duplexes than real apartment buildings. You should look at craigslist or at courierpostonline.com to check their ads. REaltors have access to a few listed rentals as well - expect $1220-1300 for a 3BR house with W/D.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:55 PM

Wow thanks for all the advice. Its still hard for me to comprehend the differences of the area when there are so many towns squeezed into such a small area, I'm glad you were able to help me sort it out. I have noticed the general theme that it is better as get you get further east. Is Google maps usually pretty good for time estimates in this area? I've basically been checking the estimate and ruling out anything over 25min

My search criteria as mainly been that it is within 25mi of camden, has washer and dryer in unit, is greater than 700sqft. I've also looked up each one on apartmentratings.com and cut out any that have extremely low ratings. And I've been mainly looking at ones in the cherry hill "vicinity". There were a few that were south in the deptford, runnemede area, but those are along 42.

Why is a moorestown address prestigious vs any other town?

I found a few more apartments that I will try to look at, maybe this link will help. I've marked out each apartment, maybe you can give me a quick opinion on what you think of each one and the area. Basically I added some over in Marlton but that may be too far especially if 70 is bad and I have to take an alternate route.
Google Map of Apartments

I am not considering a house at this time. I'd like to live there at least a year or two so I know the area better and know the company and job better before I make a large financial commitment.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:04 PM

59 posts, read 167,530 times
Moorestown has many high end, large homes, great schools, and a cute dwontown. I dont know how old you are or how much money you want to spend on rent - these will ceratinly help find the right area for you to live in. Highlands in Cherry Hill is certainly a nice complex, but dont rule out renting a condo - and these won't be in your apt book - you deal directly with the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia