Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 PM

13 posts, read 41,730 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the area, but I'm not sure how stable my job will be. So, I'm trying to find a short-term lease for a furnished apartment, but I'm having a tough time finding one in South Jersey. I've been checking Craigslist and Philly seems to have more options. What are the pros/cons of living in Philly while working in South Jersey? I know about the tolls; what else do I need to watch out for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:17 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenleo View Post
I'm moving to the area, but I'm not sure how stable my job will be. So, I'm trying to find a short-term lease for a furnished apartment, but I'm having a tough time finding one in South Jersey. I've been checking Craigslist and Philly seems to have more options. What are the pros/cons of living in Philly while working in South Jersey? I know about the tolls; what else do I need to watch out for?
You might get hit paying 2 sets of income tax also.... not sure what the laws are for PA, but thats how it is if you live in NJ and work in NY.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:42 AM

691 posts, read 3,059,916 times
If you live in Philly - you will have to pay a 4.5% city wage tax. Its basically like taking a pay cut.

Commute would be OK depending on where in Philly. The $4 tolls each day will add up especially when they raise it to $5.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,015 times
Yes, the Philly city wage tax is a total b*tch. Another thing that is a pain in Philly is parking, since you'll need a car to commute. Street parking is hard to find and a lot of people rent spots in garages, which can cost $200 bucks a month.

That being said, Center City is a fun place to live. During the week, you'll probably be busy going back and forth to work.

But for the weekends, Philly is a nice city (well, the nice part anyway) and it's a fun place to spend the weekends with lots of stuff to do, especially when compared to South Jersey. You won't be bored and you'll probably come to really like living there.

So if that is appealing to you, maybe it's something that might be worth it to you, even if just for a time. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
The wage tax is akin to the mafia swooping in and taking their 'cut'. It stifles enterprise, I have no idea why the people of Philadelphia can't elect into office a mayor that will repeal that tax.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The wage tax is akin to the mafia swooping in and taking their 'cut'. It stifles enterprise, I have no idea why the people of Philadelphia can't elect into office a mayor that will repeal that tax.
Last I checked the city is in MAJOR debt as is so having someone come in and reduce the cities income is the last thing they can afford to do. It needs to be done but I don't see it ever happening.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Last I checked the city is in MAJOR debt as is so having someone come in and reduce the cities income is the last thing they can afford to do. It needs to be done but I don't see it ever happening.
If the wage tax is holding back X number of people from moving into the city and X number of businesses from locating operations within the city, then eliminating or lowering the tax could result in more tax income to the city through increased sales tax and property tax receipts.

If I was the mayor, I might repeal it, let the city go bankrupt, take the state or federal bailout and then re-structure the city with a better tax system.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenleo View Post
Don't worry about getting a furnished apartment... TONS of companies rent furniture... I pay $700 for my apartment and $210 a month for the furniture. If not finding a furnished apartment in South Jersey is your sole reason for looking in Philly, it's a bad one.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,015 times
Well, the property taxes there are very very low, so the city is supporting itself off people who work, via the wage tax, as opposed to just property.

I guess if you're a homeowner there it might all come out in the wash.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:44 PM

250 posts, read 905,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Yes, the Philly city wage tax is a total b*tch. Another thing that is a pain in Philly is parking, since you'll need a car to commute. Street parking is hard to find and a lot of people rent spots in garages, which can cost $200 bucks a month.

That being said, Center City is a fun place to live. During the week, you'll probably be busy going back and forth to work.

But for the weekends, Philly is a nice city (well, the nice part anyway) and it's a fun place to spend the weekends with lots of stuff to do, especially when compared to South Jersey. You won't be bored and you'll probably come to really like living there.
The OP would probably enjoy the weeknights in the city too, as there are a number of restaurants and things walking distance. In the suburbs its boring. But that's the trade-off. [Wage tax + parking + tolls + extra car wear/tear] for the benefit of living in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia