Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,693 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Bergen County as soon as my renovations on my new home are complete. Sooooo can anyone tell me the closest beach to go to on the Jersey Shore when one lives up north? Is it clean? Is it crowded or not? Parking issues? Thanks friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM

81 posts, read 202,410 times
sandy hook.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:13 PM

912 posts, read 2,445,831 times
As has been mentioned, Sandy Hook. I live farther south and I've never actually gone there for a day at the beach, but I've been there and it's a very nice park.

Parking is most definitely an issue, however. I've often heard it announced on the radio that the parking lots are filled up and the park is closed off for the day. Happens quite frequently during the height of the summer. Bergen is wayyy up there, Parkway-wise. If traffic bothers you, you'll need to go to the beach next Tuesday. Or the Tuesday after Labor Day, for that matter.

In my neck of the woods, there is a marked increase in traffic on local roads, and it's only Thursday! Eek!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:34 PM

188 posts, read 414,385 times
The northern most beach is Sandy Hook, but it might be more direct to go to Sea Bright public beaches or Seven Presidents Park in Long Branch. I go to the beach further south, so I do not know if it is crowded or how parking is, but I do know Seven Presidents Park is clean. Parking at any beach in Monmouth County is going to be a problem.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:52 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,320 times
beachrunner is right. Sandy Hook is northern most, but Sea Bright is right under it, and Long Branch might be an easier drive from the Parkway even though it's further down on the Parkway.

My brother lives in Hazlet, which is right at the exit off the Parkway that you'd take to get on 36 which takes you to Sandy Hook, Hazlet, Long Branch, etc. It's only about 20 miles but a lot of lights so it takes about 20-30 min, more w/ traffic. Sandy Hook is nice but I only go there for walks/hikes, not for the beach or swimming. For that, I go to Sea Bright. Sea Bright is very nice - good parking that's easy access both to beach and town, not too expensive, very nice beach, very clean (but not immaculate), usually lots of families and kids so it's a good, mixed crowd, and often isn't as crowded as one might expect. Good shops and food options there, too. Even a couple nice places for drinks.

So if you want the quickest access to just a typical beach, with access to shops and food and all that, hit Sea Bright or Long Branch. If you like the more natural beaches and want to be in a park setting where you can also hike, bike, bird-watch, study nature, etc., then Sandy Hook is the place to go.

It's about 1.5 hours, door-to-door, if I avoid traffic (and I usually do), and I live a good 5-10 minutes off exit 172 (the last exit on the Parkway).

Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
I work on Sandy Hook. Parking is a nightmare there on weekend days and with the current bridge construction it can literally take hours just to get outside the park.

I live in Manasquan but if you are a nature buff Sandy Hook is a pocket marvel of natural dunes,holly forest and marsh within driving distance of NYC.

It might actually be a nicer and shorter trip to take the ferry from Manhattan down to SH. IT only operates in the summer but its nice.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:53 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,003 times
Most beaches are crowded in NJ. But they are fantastic with soft white sand and warm water and fantastic waves....

Old 05-27-2010, 05:00 PM

390 posts, read 1,510,077 times
I agree with beachrunner. Sandy Hook exit (117) is closest and largest. You pay per car not per person.

Sea Bright beach is small and crowded but plenty of food and drink options across the street.

Seven Presidents is county-owned and very well maintained. Weekday beach fees are $7 for individuals 18 years old and over; those 17 and under are free. On weekends and holidays, the fee is $7 for individuals 12 and over; those 11 and under are free. The cost of a parking pass is $6 on weekdays and $7 on weekends and holidays. They have a nice playground and skate park.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:32 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
As has been mentioned, Sandy Hook. I live farther south and I've never actually gone there for a day at the beach, but I've been there and it's a very nice park.

Parking is most definitely an issue, however. I've often heard it announced on the radio that the parking lots are filled up and the park is closed off for the day. Happens quite frequently during the height of the summer. Bergen is wayyy up there, Parkway-wise. If traffic bothers you, you'll need to go to the beach next Tuesday. Or the Tuesday after Labor Day, for that matter.

In my neck of the woods, there is a marked increase in traffic on local roads, and it's only Thursday! Eek!
In addition, there is a big sign on the Parkway before you reach Sandy Hook that will let you know if it is full for the day.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:36 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I am moving to Bergen County as soon as my renovations on my new home are complete. Sooooo can anyone tell me the closest beach to go to on the Jersey Shore when one lives up north? Is it clean? Is it crowded or not? Parking issues? Thanks friends!
I lived in Bergen County most of my life. Moved to Monmouth last year.

A word of advice--if you are going to the beach on a nice, hot weekend from up there, and you get on the Garden State Parkway after 6:30 a.m., you have left way too late.

Plan to leave early, get there, find a parking space, and have a nice breakfast down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey