Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:31 AM

431 posts, read 942,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
The people in here optimistic about Newark have obviously never lived in the ghetto. You can invest, revitalize, and pump as much money as you want into the schools. The city won't change. And it never will until the people of the city drop the ghetto mentality. The problems lay in the mentality and private lives of the people, not the amount of money that's pumped into the city, or how many new businesses are opened, etc. I guarantee upwards of 70% of youth in Newark have single parents. I guarantee a higher % of the youth weren't planned. These kids repeat the same tendencies of their parents, live a fast life and die young. They have kids and the cycle repeats. Very seldom do households here value education, health, independence and a steady income. I've lived here for 3 years and grew up in Philly and San Bernardino. This isn't all people obviously but no one who's ever lived in the ghetto can tell me this isn't a prominent mentality in the ghetto. I don't care what places want to open up for business or who invests in what. Until this mentality is reversed Newark will always be Newark.

Spoken like a true newarker, I live in society hill and my neighbor a house over is a single mom and 4-5 times i've seen her get into altercations with her daughter who screams like a looney for no real reason. Across the street a guy sits on his balcony and drinks all day and acts a fool. People litter all over the new park across the street and show no respect flash gang signs out in the open at essex vocational tech. Only outsiders think newark is improving, live here and you will see the true picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delasoul View Post
Do you understand what gentrification is, BPerone201? Gentrification is an ethical issue the city of Newark seems it's trying hard to avoid.

I don't know about Ivy Hill, as I've never been there, but Ironbound does not seem, to me, to be a neighborhood with great potential in attracting a middle class. The housing stock there is not attractive, to say the least. Because of a lack of middle-class housing, Newark is working with developers on long-term projects to build luxury condominiums, etc.

By broad street station, there is nothing there! Its just one giant wasteland... so why not build something!?!?

If you look at this map: http://gateway.njit.edu/images/map1-800x603.jpg

All the orange areas (3b,2 and 5) are empty lots so why not build something? Why is there local resistance?!?!

Old 07-17-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
You said stores are closing left and right downtown, you only named a few (which were downsizing on a national level anyway). But where the Springfield ave. marketplace would be is a very well-performing Home Depot, Autozone, etc. I guess it's just cheaper for national retailers to be on the periphery of downtown, rather than downtown itself. Otherwise...it doesn't make sense.

Theft is NOT the reason the Old Navy closed. It was sales...and they weren't happening. Whoever gave the green light for the Old Navy and the NY&Co apparently didn't do a demographic study of the area.

PS: there's a Starbucks in Gateway

That isn't downtown, DOWNTOWN is where the high concentration of people should be hence a stores should have no problem opening up. Any downtown NYC,Atlanta, philly, pittsburgh, dc has TONS of stores downtown.

NO it was theft, I saw it with my own eyes multiple times.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:43 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Spoken like a true newarker, I live in society hill and my neighbor a house over is a single mom and 4-5 times i've seen her get into altercations with her daughter who screams like a looney for no real reason. Across the street a guy sits on his balcony and drinks all day and acts a fool. People litter all over the new park across the street and show no respect flash gang signs out in the open at essex vocational tech. Only outsiders think newark is improving, live here and you will see the true picture.
Shes not a true Newarker. I don't want to see Newark Fail , so i suggest you join with other residents and start demanding change. There are alot more ppl in Newark who want Change then thugs.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 AM

71 posts, read 300,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post

If you look at this map: http://gateway.njit.edu/images/map1-800x603.jpg

All the orange areas (3b,2 and 5) are empty lots so why not build something? Why is there local resistance?!?!
I have previously researched the Gateway Project. The lots mentioned are inclusive of NJIT's redevelopment project. NJIT has sole developing rights over the entire area (along with whoever they choose to do business--in this case, Jones Lang LaSalle).

I can't speak to "local resistance" within those redevelopment perimeters, but Baxter Terrace (a low-income housing complex) was cleared out years ago (in preparation of this project). By clearing out this complex, I'm sure many would agree much resistance (read as: obstacles) has been eliminated.

There's also a Riverfront development project in the works. Luxury housing will be built along the Passaic. Why? Because plentiful amounts of middle-class housing must available for Newark to develope.

Sidenote: Why do some Newark forum members know not of these things? It pays to be involved in your community. If more residents became involved with the city (joined email lists, went to town-hall meetings, etc.), Newark would have began evolving decades ago. Energizing the city's morale by participating actively only helps the city by leaps and bounds. Not to mention, it shows a great deal of respect and appreciation to everyone working hard on these projects.

Last edited by delasoul; 07-17-2010 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Submitted wrong comment.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:29 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,077,406 times
I'm not a true Newarker? My driver's license with my residence says otherwise. I've spent more time in this city and mingled with more of its residents than you will in your entire life.
I have to reiterate my original point. You can invest all you want in this town. It won't change until the social outlook of its people changes. This city and its schools are thrown money their way moreso than any city in the state. Yet it hardly changes. The problem is parents don't want to be parents. They don't emphasize the importance of a structured household, education and fiscal independence.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I'm not a true Newarker? My driver's license with my residence says otherwise. I've spent more time in this city and mingled with more of its residents than you will in your entire life.
I have to reiterate my original point. You can invest all you want in this town. It won't change until the social outlook of its people changes. This city and its schools are thrown money their way moreso than any city in the state. Yet it hardly changes. The problem is parents don't want to be parents. They don't emphasize the importance of a structured household, education and fiscal independence.
You haven't lived in Newark all your life and my Newark friends would see you as an outsider criticizing them.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Oh please. My time spent here still eclipses the total amount of time you'll ever spend here. And if your Newark friends are real Newarkers, ask them the real reason why the city is refered to as the "Brick City"...

Old 07-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Oh yea, also feel free to have them tell you there isn't a problem with poor parenting and disfunctional households in the city and keep a straight face.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Oh please. My time spent here still eclipses the total amount of time you'll ever spend here. And if your Newark friends are real Newarkers, ask them the real reason why the city is refered to as the "Brick City"...
It started out as a nickname for all the Brick Factories and Warehouses that were in Newark , but later on it became more of a negative nickname. I know alot about Newark. Probably alot more then you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey