Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 PM

23,594 posts, read 17,275,145 times

Advertisements

"Governor McGreevey recently proposed eliminating financing for the New Jersey Motion Picture and Television Commission to try to help whittle down the $5 billion budget deficit the state is facing."

"$395,000 restored for the New Jersey Motion Picture and Television Commission. That's still a $147,000 cut, but Corzine wanted to eliminate all its funding"

Can't find a detailed explanation by CC but I get the impression this is a temporary move to meet the budget. Would make sense to have credits as the industry has left CA for other states that do have tax credits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"Governor McGreevey recently proposed eliminating financing for the New Jersey Motion Picture and Television Commission to try to help whittle down the $5 billion budget deficit the state is facing."

"$395,000 restored for the New Jersey Motion Picture and Television Commission. That's still a $147,000 cut, but Corzine wanted to eliminate all its funding"

Can't find a detailed explanation by CC but I get the impression this is a temporary move to meet the budget. Would make sense to have credits as the industry has left CA for other states that do have tax credits.
You're right. Here's an example. I wasn't kidding when I said Gov Perdue would be all over this, if she gets wind of a show thinking of leaving. www.ncfilm.com - North Carolina Film Office

Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,880,245 times
I honestly don't think he can run the state , he's tried touching the Blue laws , removing the UEZ's , cut funding very fast which is backfiring.....and now this.....he may think hes doing good but its angering most of us Jerseyites...

Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 AM

501 posts, read 1,430,931 times
^ Don't forget to add removing "free" from "public parks" to that list of what he's been trying to do. Aye aye...

Old 06-26-2010, 05:30 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,410,172 times
Not for nothing, but everything this guy has tried has been complained about. The budget has to be balanced, yet every time he tries to do that, everyone is in an uproar- "we can't cut back on libraries!", "we can't get rid of UEZ's", "we can't cut teachers". So I guess the only solution is to raise property taxes to increase the revenue?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:57 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,774,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Not for nothing, but everything this guy has tried has been complained about. The budget has to be balanced, yet every time he tries to do that, everyone is in an uproar- "we can't cut back on libraries!", "we can't get rid of UEZ's", "we can't cut teachers". So I guess the only solution is to raise property taxes to increase the revenue?
Clearly he doesn't care, let 'em complain. He will get spending under control no matter how much people whine. He took on the most powerful force in the state (NJEA) and trounced them. I am sure he is unconcerned by the NIMBY weenies.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The UEZ's bring in millions each year and thousands of jobs. What moron would even think about touching. You can't cut this much , this fast , it causes even more problems. + you don't even live here anymore , you live in the Paradise called the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Clearly he doesn't care, let 'em complain. He will get spending under control no matter how much people whine. He took on the most powerful force in the state (NJEA) and trounced them. I am sure he is unconcerned by the NIMBY weenies.
Hes protecting residents like you ...... & its not NIMBY.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:23 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,774,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The UEZ's bring in millions each year and thousands of jobs. What moron would even think about touching. You can't cut this much , this fast , it causes even more problems. + you don't even live here anymore , you live in the Paradise called the South.

Hes protecting residents like you ...... & its not NIMBY.
Is he now, and what (who) are residents like me? Can't wait to hear this...

Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Is he now, and what (who) are residents like me? Can't wait to hear this...
You have to be upper Middle class or rich to live in Hoboken and hes protecting you guys....

Old 06-26-2010, 11:24 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,281,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You have to be upper Middle class or rich to live in Hoboken and hes protecting you guys....
I know plenty of grad students who lived in Hoboken.

Anyway, how is he "protecting" Hoboken residents ? By cutting state aid ?

I agree that any cut he makes is going to be unpopular. But he needs to either make cuts or hike taxes. When NJ elects a Republican, it's a safe bet that the voters aren't in the mood for tax hikes either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey