Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:12 AM

196 posts, read 649,057 times

Advertisements

Hi I have 3 questions, if you can answer any or all it would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is the traffic like during rush hour morning driving from University Heights Society Hil area (near South Orange ave) in Newark to the Livingston Mall. The Liv Mall is on South Orange ave so I know you can drive straight up that street but is there traffic around 8:30 or so. What about between 9-10 still traffic? Would it be quicker to hop on 280?

2. How is the traffic from same area (society hill) to Liberty State Park in Jersey City? I am looking on the map and it seems like I can go on Lincoln Highway to get there quickly. This would also be around rush hour time. Is there any other best way to get to Liberty State Park from that area?

3. This is a different location question, what is the quickest easiest way to get to Liberty State Park from North Bloomfield, near Rt3/Nutley/Clifton. I've been taking rt3 to 1&9 and it is always backed up near holland tunnell obviously. I normally go under the overpass and stay on Tonnell Ave and drive thru the city instead of going down farther left toward the holland tunnell. Another day I tried going up Manhatten Ave a half a mile or so before the end of 1&9 and driving on Summitt but it was still busy. I think I also have the option of going on turnpike and 78, would this be easier? I realize any way might have traffic but just looking for the best solution...

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 10:18 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Weekdays its at the point where Mass Transit is faster and cheaper, weekends its not so bad.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
Hi I have 3 questions, if you can answer any or all it would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is the traffic like during rush hour morning driving from University Heights Society Hil area (near South Orange ave) in Newark to the Livingston Mall. The Liv Mall is on South Orange ave so I know you can drive straight up that street but is there traffic around 8:30 or so. What about between 9-10 still traffic? Would it be quicker to hop on 280?

2. How is the traffic from same area (society hill) to Liberty State Park in Jersey City? I am looking on the map and it seems like I can go on Lincoln Highway to get there quickly. This would also be around rush hour time. Is there any other best way to get to Liberty State Park from that area?

3. This is a different location question, what is the quickest easiest way to get to Liberty State Park from North Bloomfield, near Rt3/Nutley/Clifton. I've been taking rt3 to 1&9 and it is always backed up near holland tunnell obviously. I normally go under the overpass and stay on Tonnell Ave and drive thru the city instead of going down farther left toward the holland tunnell. Another day I tried going up Manhatten Ave a half a mile or so before the end of 1&9 and driving on Summitt but it was still busy. I think I also have the option of going on turnpike and 78, would this be easier? I realize any way might have traffic but just looking for the best solution...

Thanks!!
The 3 to the turnpike might be your best bet. How that goes really depends on how badly the turnpike exit is backed up around the Holland Tunnel. Because the liberty state park exit (14a I think) is some way from the tunnel, it would have to be backed up pretty badly to become a problem.

It's either that or the way you're going (and yes, I would get off 1/9 before the tunnel).

Nexis -- good luck getting from North Bloomfield to Jersey City by mass transit. I think you'd need something like bus to Newark + PATH + light rail to the park.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:31 AM

196 posts, read 649,057 times
Sorry I forgot to mention I am talking about Weekdays mostly.

Also I do not believe Mass Transit is nessicarily faster. With the train cuts if you miss one train you have to wait an hour sometimes & the rate hikes make it less attractive price wise. Also you have to take into account the time taken to geto the train station and if you need to pay for parking there.

anyway this thread is not to debate whether mass transit is better, I just want to know what is the best way to drive only.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:36 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Using evil villainous racist censor Google for their mapping,,,
#1 Routing looks about the same as any other way and looks shortest but you'll have to check on traffic

University Heights, Newark, NJ to Livingston Mall, Livingston, NJ 07039 - Google Maps

#2 Lincoln Highway refers to US Truck 1&9 Hwy, which turns left to go towards NYC while you would continue straight on Communipaw Ave to your destination. I think this would be the shortest ride and avoid most of the commuter traffic to NYC.

University Heights, Newark, NJ to Liberty State Park - Google Maps

#3 Again using evil racist censor Google for maps, I would consider uisong the second of 3 options, Belleville Pike which is NJ Route 7, but you have 3 options here, scroll down and mouse over on the left to see the other 2 options:
Main St, Nutley, NJ to Liberty State Park - Google Maps

Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
Sorry I forgot to mention I am talking about Weekdays mostly.

Also I do not believe Mass Transit is nessicarily faster. With the train cuts if you miss one train you have to wait an hour sometimes & the rate hikes make it less attractive price wise. Also you have to take into account the time taken to geto the train station and if you need to pay for parking there.

anyway this thread is not to debate whether mass transit is better, I just want to know what is the best way to drive only.
Trains still run every 20-30 mins on most lines. They didn't really cut anything that bad. You can park at the PATH in Harrison and take the Train to Exchange Place. & Then take the LRT south to LSP.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
#1 Routing looks about the same as any other way and looks shortest but you'll have to check on traffic

University Heights, Newark, NJ to Livingston Mall, Livingston, NJ 07039 - Google Maps

#2 Lincoln Highway refers to US Truck 1&9 Hwy, which turns left to go towards NYC while you would continue straight on Communipaw Ave to your destination. I think this would be the shortest ride and avoid most of the commuter traffic to NYC.

#3 Again using evil racist censor Google for maps, I would consider uisong the second of 3 options, Belleville Pike which is NJ Route 7, but you have 3 options here, scroll down and mouse over on the left to see the other 2 options:
#2, yes, that's basically the way to do it, the toughest part of the trip is getting out of University Heights which can get really congested.

#3, last I did that drive, they were doing some construction on Rt 7 and you couldn't drive that way but if they're not still messing it up, that's the way to go.

Rt 21 via Newark, it's via Newark -- you're going to hit traffic.

When they were doing this construction on rt7 (no idea if it's still going on), I took rt 3 to 95, and got out at the lincoln highway exit (15E). A bit of a detour, but beats sitting in traffic.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:

How is google Racist? Does it put you through white only areas?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:51 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Default Noogle

Oh they specifically deleted existence of certain newsgroups that discussed related subjects and do not list them and pretend they do not exist, etc. Too much censorship.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Oh they specifically deleted existence of certain newsgroups that discussed related subjects and do not list them and pretend they do not exist, etc. Too much censorship.
Like who Fox news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey